* Where ends a subtree?
@ 2010-03-26 17:27 Franz Heuser
From: Franz Heuser @ 2010-03-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I wonder where an subtree ends. My work flow is as follow:
* headline
  some text...

Know I notice a ToDo entry that is link to the text. So i type

** ToDo something useful
   notes about the ToDo

  ... more about the headline.

My problem is, that '... more about the headline' is hidden, when the
ToDo entry is folded. It belongs syntactically to ToDo, but semantically
to the headline.

Is there an <end> Tag or something like that? Where i can say: Here Ends
the ToDo entry, what comes now belong to the last headline?

Any Idea? Or a hint, how i can use org-mode another, better way?

Greetings

* Re: Where ends a subtree?
@ 2010-03-27 18:32 ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2010-03-27 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday 27 March 2010 05:27 am, Franz Heuser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder where an subtree ends. My work flow is as follow:
> * headline
>   some text...
>
> Know I notice a ToDo entry that is link to the text. So i type
>
> ** ToDo something useful
>    notes about the ToDo
>
>   ... more about the headline.
>
> My problem is, that '... more about the headline' is hidden, when the
> ToDo entry is folded. It belongs syntactically to ToDo, but semantically
> to the headline.
>
> Is there an <end> Tag or something like that? Where i can say: Here Ends
> the ToDo entry, what comes now belong to the last headline?
>
> Any Idea? Or a hint, how i can use org-mode another, better way?

This appears to be the situation with Calendar and also
surprisingly with Diary.

Somewhere on the Emacs Wiki it suggests; no space between lines,
and also to begin each new line with a dash -    Such as;
- item 1
- another note
- some more.

For me, for Diary in particular, it would be good to be able to block
longer text together, and even perhpaps paragraph. I suppose it
becomes less of an itemized work diary at that stage, and more of
a rambling personal type, which suggests a separate or 2nd diary file
altogether should be used.

What do others think.

* Re: Where ends a subtree?
@ 2010-03-28 12:42   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-28 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Is it just me who cannot make out what either of these posters is
trying to say?

- Carsten

On Mar 27, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Adam wrote:

> On Saturday 27 March 2010 05:27 am, Franz Heuser wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder where an subtree ends. My work flow is as follow:
>> * headline
>>  some text...
>>
>> Know I notice a ToDo entry that is link to the text. So i type
>>
>> ** ToDo something useful
>>   notes about the ToDo
>>
>>  ... more about the headline.
>>
>> My problem is, that '... more about the headline' is hidden, when the
>> ToDo entry is folded. It belongs syntactically to ToDo, but
>> semantically
>> to the headline.
>>
>> Is there an <end> Tag or something like that? Where i can say: Here
>> Ends
>> the ToDo entry, what comes now belong to the last headline?
>>
>> Any Idea? Or a hint, how i can use org-mode another, better way?
>
> This appears to be the situation with Calendar and also
> surprisingly with Diary.
>
> Somewhere on the Emacs Wiki it suggests; no space between lines,
> and also to begin each new line with a dash -    Such as;
> - item 1
> - another note
> - some more.
>
> For me, for Diary in particular, it would be good to be able to block
> longer text together, and even perhpaps paragraph. I suppose it
> becomes less of an itemized work diary at that stage, and more of
> a rambling personal type, which suggests a separate or 2nd diary file
> altogether should be used.
>
> What do others think.

- Carsten

* Re: Where ends a subtree?
@ 2010-03-28 13:37 ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2010-03-28 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Franz Heuser <spamcatcherhenry@web.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder where an subtree ends. My work flow is as follow:

When a headline of same level or lower level began

> * headline
>   some text...
>
> Know I notice a ToDo entry that is link to the text. So i type
>
> ** ToDo something useful
>    notes about the ToDo
>
>   ... more about the headline.

Org mode believe that ... more about the headline is inside
** ToDo something useful
I know no way to change this: you must put every text that is only in
"* headline" and not in the "** ToDo" subtree before any subtree

> My problem is, that '... more about the headline' is hidden, when the
> ToDo entry is folded. It belongs syntactically to ToDo, but semantically
> to the headline.
>
> Is there an <end> Tag or something like that? Where i can say: Here Ends
> the ToDo entry, what comes now belong to the last headline?
>
> Any Idea? Or a hint, how i can use org-mode another, better way?

Add your todo at the end of the headline?
put a "** rest of the headline" subtree after the todo ?

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: Where ends a subtree?
@ 2010-03-28 13:39     ` Rémi Vanicat
From: Rémi Vanicat @ 2010-03-28 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Is it just me who cannot make out what either of these posters is
> trying to say?

I believe I understand what Franz Heuser wanted. I've no idea what Adam's
response really mean.

> - Carsten
>
> On Mar 27, 2010, at 7:32 PM, Adam wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 27 March 2010 05:27 am, Franz Heuser wrote:
>>> Hi,

[...]

--
Rémi Vanicat

* Re: Re: Where ends a subtree?
@ 2010-03-28 15:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-28 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rémi Vanicat; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 28, 2010, at 3:37 PM, Rémi Vanicat wrote:

> Franz Heuser <spamcatcherhenry@web.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder where an subtree ends. My work flow is as follow:
>
> When a headline of same level or lower level began

OK, now I understand.

Yes, this is correct, you cannot end a sublevvel task and add more
text that belongs to the top level tasks.  Org-mode documents are
structured like a book.

You might wan to check out a special hack we have for this situation:

org-inlinetask.el, distributed with Org.

- Carsten

>> * headline
>>  some text...
>>
>> Know I notice a ToDo entry that is link to the text. So i type
>>
>> ** ToDo something useful
>>   notes about the ToDo
>>
>>  ... more about the headline.
>
> Org mode believe that ... more about the headline is inside
> ** ToDo something useful
> I know no way to change this: you must put every text that is only in
> "* headline" and not in the "** ToDo" subtree before any subtree
>

>> My problem is, that '... more about the headline' is hidden, when the
>> ToDo entry is folded. It belongs syntactically to ToDo, but
>> semantically
>> to the headline.
>>
>> Is there an <end> Tag or something like that? Where i can say: Here
>> Ends
>> the ToDo entry, what comes now belong to the last headline?
>>
>> Any Idea? Or a hint, how i can use org-mode another, better way?
>
> Add your todo at the end of the headline?
> put a "** rest of the headline" subtree after the todo ?
>

> --
> Rémi Vanicat

- Carsten