From: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Cc: mark@ofosos.org
Subject: Re: ox-epub
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:32:24 +0100	[thread overview]

> Nowadays, moving a package to contrib/ only makes sense if it is meant
> to ultimately be included in core. Otherwise, GNU ELPA is just as fine.

An exporter is core is much more useful IMO, but I’m a big fan of
batteries included.

> As Rasmus pointed out, documentation is mandatory for inclusion in core.
>
> Also, you need write access on Org repository so as to be able to
> maintain "ox-epub.el" from there.

>>> Are there any technical barriers to continuing development on ox-epub to
>>> me? The legal stuff is not an issue to me.
>>
>> I think you wrote that you are already in the process of assigning
>> copyright for this work to FSF, right?
>>
>>> Do you find the addition worthwile?
>>
>> I do.  Nicloas will probably chim in.
>
> I have not looked at the code, but the idea sounds nice.

At the moment, ox-epub.el still needs to mature a bit, as it behaves a bit
differently from other exporters.  However, Mark seems to have a good
domain knowledge of what an epub is, so hopefully we could make it work.

I think Alan Tyree has agreed to help test it with "real-world" books
later, if necessary.

> However, IIRC, Bastien (Cc'ed) was reluctant to add more export
> back-ends, back when I wanted to move ox-koma-letter to core. He might
> want to have his word on the subject.

AFAIR there's also some issues with the copyright status of
ox-koma-letter.  (I could ping Viktor to hear if anything happened re
this).

Rasmus

--
A page of history is worth a volume of logic