From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
Cc: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>,
	emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, alantyree@gmail.com
Subject: Re: ox-epub
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2017 21:03:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Mark Meyer <mark@ofosos.org> writes:
>
>> I'm the author of ox-epub, which is a very recent extension to org-mode
>> to author EPUB files directly via the org export layer.
>
> Thanks.  People have asked about direct epub exporting in the past.
>
>> Pank (Rasmus) asked on Github, whether this could be part of org-mode.
>> I'm all for it. I gather this would be added to the lisp/contrib directory?
>
> Perhaps it could start in "contrib" until you, and others, are comfortable
> with the quality of the code.  On the other hand, it might get more
> testing if added directly to "lisp".
>
> One thing that’d need to add in due course in documentation in the
> manual.

Nowadays, moving a package to contrib/ only makes sense if it is meant
to ultimately be included in core. Otherwise, GNU ELPA is just as fine.

As Rasmus pointed out, documentation is mandatory for inclusion in core.

Also, you need write access on Org repository so as to be able to
maintain "ox-epub.el" from there.

>> Are there any technical barriers to continuing development on ox-epub to
>> me? The legal stuff is not an issue to me.
>
> I think you wrote that you are already in the process of assigning
> copyright for this work to FSF, right?
>
>> Do you find the addition worthwile?
>
> I do.  Nicloas will probably chim in.

I have not looked at the code, but the idea sounds nice.

However, IIRC, Bastien (Cc'ed) was reluctant to add more export
back-ends, back when I wanted to move ox-koma-letter to core. He might
want to have his word on the subject.

Thank you for sharing your work.

Nicolas Goaziou