* BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
@ 2017-09-09  9:10 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-09-09  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
them -

  organiser:   8:30΄ьԔלڤ  Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list

This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
after the release of org-mode 9.1.

How do I stop it and get rid of it please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
@ 2017-09-09 22:39 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2017-09-09 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org Mode List

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
> a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
> them -
>
>   organiser:   8:30΄ьԔלڤ  Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list
>
> This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
> after the release of org-mode 9.1.
>
> How do I stop it and get rid of it please?

I cannot replicate this. My guess is that it is related to a particular
configuration setting on your machine. For instance, what is the value
of org-agenda-time-grid? The order of items in this variable changed
with the upgrade to 9.1.

Best,
Matt

* Re: BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
@ 2017-09-10  8:05 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
> a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
> them -
>
>   organiser: 8:30΄ьԔלڤ Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list
>
> This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
> after the release of org-mode 9.1.
>
> How do I stop it and get rid of it please?

This is probably a bug. Could you provide an ECM? I'm not observing the
same here.

Thank you!

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
@ 2017-09-10 11:03   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-09-10 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
>> a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
>> them -
>>
>>   organiser: 8:30΄ьԔלڤ Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list
>>
>> This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
>> after the release of org-mode 9.1.
>>
>> How do I stop it and get rid of it please?
>
> This is probably a bug. Could you provide an ECM? I'm not observing the
> same here.

ECM? What's that? I know what a 'MWE' is, but 'ECM' has me flummoxed.
And according to google, ECM could be Enterprise content management, or
engine control module, or Error Code Modeler, or electronic control
module, or Electronic Content Management!

I know that every profession has its jargon, and emacs probably has the
same, but I am at a loss here! So please let me know what an 'ECM' is
and then maybe I can provide it?

@ 2017-09-10 11:07   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-09-10 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
>> a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
>> them -
>>
>>   organiser:   8:30΄ьԔלڤ  Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list
>>
>> This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
>> after the release of org-mode 9.1.
>>
>> How do I stop it and get rid of it please?
>
> I cannot replicate this. My guess is that it is related to a particular
> configuration setting on your machine. For instance, what is the value
> of org-agenda-time-grid? The order of items in this variable changed
> with the upgrade to 9.1.

;; Enable display of the time grid so we can see the marker for the current time
(setq org-agenda-time-grid (quote ((daily today remove-match)
                                   #("----------------" 0 16 (org-heading t))
                                   (0900 1100 1300 1500 1700))))

But time-grid is not enabled in my agenda.

@ 2017-09-10 11:48     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-10 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org Mode List

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> ECM? What's that? I know what a 'MWE' is, but 'ECM' has me flummoxed.

This is a FAQ, at <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#ecm>.

For reference, here is the answer:

   This is a French acronym used by some mailing list members; it stands
   for "Exemple Complet Minimal", or "Complete Minimal Example". The
   term refers to test files that can reliably reproduce a bug with the
   minimal amount of code. When you report a bug to the mailing list,
   you should provide a minimal .org file (with no more text than
   necessary) that demonstrates the bug.

So, basically ECM = MWE.

* Re: BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
@ 2017-09-11  2:25     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2017-09-11  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org Mode List

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>>
>>> With the new release of org-mode to 9.1 I am finding with every build of
>>> a new agenda that this is displaying for items with a time as part of
>>> them -
>>>
>>>   organiser:   8:30΄ьԔלڤ  Scheduled: TODO email org-mode list
>>>
>>> This is new and has only appeared with the new agenda which is generated
>>> after the release of org-mode 9.1.
>>>
>>> How do I stop it and get rid of it please?
>>
>> I cannot replicate this. My guess is that it is related to a particular
>> configuration setting on your machine. For instance, what is the value
>> of org-agenda-time-grid? The order of items in this variable changed
>> with the upgrade to 9.1.
>
> ;; Enable display of the time grid so we can see the marker for the current time
> (setq org-agenda-time-grid (quote ((daily today remove-match)
>                                    #("----------------" 0 16 (org-heading t))
>                                    (0900 1100 1300 1500 1700))))
>
> But time-grid is not enabled in my agenda.

This setting is definitely the problem. I can now reproduce the behavior.

The order of items in org-agenda-time-grid changed recently, which I
think is the root of the problem. The value for this variable should be
a list of four (not three) items. Even if time grid is not enabled, the
3rd item in the setting is used to generate trailing characters that
follow the time string in the agenda. This should be a string, not a
list of numbers.

You can type C-h v org-agenda-time-grid for all the details. Here is the
default value of org-agenda-time-grid for reference. Note how the order
differs from your current setting:

((daily today require-timed)
 (800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000)

Hope this helps,
Matt

* Re: BUG - strange characters showing in agenda after times displayed
@ 2017-09-12 11:52       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-09-12 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List