* Recovering org-completion-use-ido functionality
@ 2018-08-25  1:46 ben lamothe
From: ben lamothe @ 2018-08-25  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi. I see from the org-mode 9.0 changelog
<https://orgmode.org/Changes_old.html> that the "org-completion-use-ido"
option was removed:

> *Remove all options related to ido or iswitchb*
> This includes org-completion-use-iswitchb and org-completion-use-ido.
> Instead Org uses regular functions, e.g., completion-read so as to let
> those libraries operate.

However, I'm unclear from the changelog and I haven't found any other
documentation about how to restore the functionality that this option used
to enable. I have tried ido-completing-read-plus/ido-ubiquitous
<https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-completing-read-plus>, but that
is overkill because it tries to enable ido everywhere, but I just want to
re-enable ido for org-mode completion (mainly refile). I also run into the
same problem if I try to set the completing read function to the one from
ido globally.

What is the best way to restore the functionality of the now removed
"org-completion-use-ido" option?

* Re: Recovering org-completion-use-ido functionality
@ 2018-08-25 13:01 ` ben lamothe
From: ben lamothe @ 2018-08-25 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been able to implement the functionality I wanted using a buffer-local
variable in an org-mode hook:

> (defun bl/completion-use-ido ()
>   "Set the current buffer's completing read engine to IDO."
>   (setq-local completing-read-function #'ido-completing-read))

(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'bl/completion-use-ido)

I think that works for me, but I'm open to a better suggestion if there is
one. In any case, I think re-enabling the functionality that was removed
with the "org-completion-use-ido" function should be documented somewhere.

@ 2018-09-03 14:13   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-09-03 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben lamothe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Ben,

    > I've been able to implement the functionality I wanted using a
    > buffer-local variable in an org-mode hook:
    >>
    >> (defun bl/completion-use-ido () "Set the current buffer's
    >> completing read engine to IDO."  (setq-local
    >> completing-read-function #'ido-completing-read))

    > (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'bl/completion-use-ido)

That doesn't work for me

    > In any case, I think re-enabling the functionality
    > that was removed with the "org-completion-use-ido" function should
    > be documented somewhere.

Hear! Hear!

Best wishes,

* Re: Recovering org-completion-use-ido functionality
@ 2018-09-03 15:42   ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-09-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben lamothe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

    > I've been able to implement the functionality I wanted using a
    > buffer-local variable in an org-mode hook:
    >>
    >> (defun bl/completion-use-ido () "Set the current buffer's
    >> completing read engine to IDO."  (setq-local
    >> completing-read-function #'ido-completing-read))

    > (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'bl/completion-use-ido)

    > I think that works for me, but I'm open to a better suggestion if
    > there is one. In any case, I think re-enabling the functionality
    > that was removed with the "org-completion-use-ido" function should
    > be documented somewhere.

    > On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 9:46 PM ben lamothe <zonotope@gmail.com> wrote:

    >> Hi. I see from the org-mode 9.0 changelog
    >> <https://orgmode.org/Changes_old.html> that the
    >> "org-completion-use-ido" option was removed:
    >>
    >>> *Remove all options related to ido or iswitchb* This includes
    >>> org-completion-use-iswitchb and org-completion-use-ido.  Instead
    >>> Org uses regular functions, e.g., completion-read so as to let
    >>> those libraries operate.
    >>

    >> However, I'm unclear from the changelog and I haven't found any
    >> other documentation about how to restore the functionality that
    >> this option used to enable. I have tried
    >> ido-completing-read-plus/ido-ubiquitous
    >> <https://github.com/DarwinAwardWinner/ido-completing-read-plus>,
    >> but that is overkill because it tries to enable ido everywhere,
    >> but I just want to re-enable ido for org-mode completion (mainly
    >> refile). I also run into the same problem if I try to set the
    >> completing read function to the one from ido globally.
    >>
    >> What is the best way to restore the functionality of the now
    >> removed "org-completion-use-ido" option?

I've now found `ido-completing-read-plus' to supply what I need. It's at

@ 2018-09-04 12:09     ` ben lamothe
From: ben lamothe @ 2018-09-04 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: m43cap; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try out `ido-completing-read-plus`, but
it's too aggressive for me. It tries to enable ido *everywhere*, including
the interface for `M-x`. I just want to enable it for org-mode specific
completions. Basically, I want replicate exactly the functionality that was
removed with the `org-completion-use-ido` option.

Incidentally, the buffer-local variable is also too aggressive. Now, when I
try to enter a command with `M-x`, that interface tries to use IDO for
completing reads, and IDO can't handle it so it fails. That means I'm back
at the drawing board, and my previous solution doesn't actually work for me.

Does anyone know how I replicate the functionality that was removed with
`org-completion-use-ido`?

@ 2018-09-04 15:20       ` Colin Baxter
From: Colin Baxter @ 2018-09-04 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben lamothe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Ben

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I did try out
    > `ido-completing-read-plus`, but it's too aggressive for me. It
    > tries to enable ido *everywhere*, including the interface for
    > `M-x`. I just want to enable it for org-mode specific
    > completions. Basically, I want replicate exactly the functionality
    > that was removed with the `org-completion-use-ido` option.

    > Incidentally, the buffer-local variable is also too
    > aggressive. Now, when I try to enter a command with `M-x`, that
    > interface tries to use IDO for completing reads, and IDO can't
    > handle it so it fails. That means I'm back at the drawing board,
    > and my previous solution doesn't actually work for me.

    > Does anyone know how I replicate the functionality that was
    > removed with `org-completion-use-ido`?

Sorry to hear of your ido-completing-read-plus experience. The only
other suggestion I have is to use icomplete, which predates ido. Emacs
has it installed so all you need do is

(require 'icomplete)
(icomplete-mode 1)

It might be worth a try.