* org-entities-user
@ 2010-05-20  3:38 Nathaniel Flath
From: Nathaniel Flath @ 2010-05-20  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've been setting up org-entities-user with a few custom symbols, and
managed to get a few aliases for items already in org-entities, but i'm a
bit stuck on adding new items - specifically, the mathbb versions of Z and R
(the symbols for the sets of integers and reals).  I can't seem to find the
UTF-8, latin-1, or HTML encodings of these entities - and I'm not sure how
to input the utf-8 or latin-1 even if I do.  Does anyone know how to do
this?

Thanks,
Nathaniel Flath

* Re: org-entities-user
@ 2010-05-20  6:40 ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2010-05-20  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear Nathaniel,

Nathaniel Flath <flat0103@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been setting up org-entities-user with a few custom symbols, and
> managed to get a few aliases for items already in org-entities, but i'm a
> bit stuck on adding new items - specifically, the mathbb versions of Z and R
> (the symbols for the sets of integers and reals).  I can't seem to find the
> UTF-8, latin-1, or HTML encodings of these entities - and I'm not sure how
> to input the utf-8 or latin-1 even if I do.  Does anyone know how to do
> this?

there's nothing like a blackboard or double-struck R and Z in latin-1
(and ASCII) so you will need to live with a transcription like `R' or
`REALS' &c.

In unicode these characters are called `double-struck capital r' and
`double-struck capital z' and they have the hex values 211d and 2124
respectively. In Emacs you can enter them with `C-x 8 RET 211d RET' or
`C-x 8 RET double-struck capital r RET'.

The corresponding XML (XHTML) entities are `&reals;' or `&Ropf;' and
`&integers;' or `&Zopf;' respectively. However, at least latest firefox
does not know how to render these and outputs these entities literally so
you might prefer to go for a transcription as well or use a unicode page
encoding with the appropriate unicode characters.

In case you are interested in further blackboard characters, w3c has a
nice page about double-struck entities. Find it at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/double-struck.html.

HTH,

Ulf

* Re: org-entities-user
@ 2010-05-20  7:53 ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2010-05-20  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Flath; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Nathaniel Flath wrote:
> Hello,
> I've been setting up org-entities-user with a few custom symbols, and
> managed to get a few aliases for items already in org-entities, but i'm
> a bit stuck on adding new items - specifically, the mathbb versions of Z
> and R (the symbols for the sets of integers and reals).  I can't seem to
> find the UTF-8, latin-1, or HTML encodings of these entities - and I'm
> not sure how to input the utf-8 or latin-1 even if I do.  Does anyone
> know how to do this?

Yes, google... :)
The search string `symbol Z "set of integers" utf8' gives you a nice
first hit.

HTML entities for double-struck capital Z and R are:

R: &#8477; (decimal), &#x211d; (hex)
Z: &#8484; (decimal), &#x2124; (hex)

Latin-1 does not support these characters. Fall back on plain "Z" and
"R" or use a description like "[set of integers]".

To type in the character in Windows, hold down the Alt key while typing
the hex code, e.g. `211d' for R. On the Mac, open the Character Palette
and jump to Letterlike Symbols.

In Emacs, you can select the Unicode input method with

`C-x <RET> C-\ ucs <RET>'

Then typing U followed by the hex code, `U211d', will get you the
double-struck R.

Christian Moe

* Re: org-entities-user
@ 2010-05-20  8:26   ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2010-05-20  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mail; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can also type
,----
! C-x 8 RET
`----
and then the hex code, instead of changing the input method in Emacs. .
For instance,
,----
! C-x 8 RET 221d
`----

Darlan

At Thu, 20 May 2010 09:53:31 +0200,
Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Nathaniel Flath wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I've been setting up org-entities-user with a few custom symbols, and
> > managed to get a few aliases for items already in org-entities, but i'm
> > a bit stuck on adding new items - specifically, the mathbb versions of Z
> > and R (the symbols for the sets of integers and reals).  I can't seem to
> > find the UTF-8, latin-1, or HTML encodings of these entities - and I'm
> > not sure how to input the utf-8 or latin-1 even if I do.  Does anyone
> > know how to do this?
>
> Yes, google... :)
> The search string `symbol Z "set of integers" utf8' gives you a nice
> first hit.
>
> HTML entities for double-struck capital Z and R are:
>
> R: &#8477; (decimal), &#x211d; (hex)
> Z: &#8484; (decimal), &#x2124; (hex)
>
> Latin-1 does not support these characters. Fall back on plain "Z" and
> "R" or use a description like "[set of integers]".
>
> To type in the character in Windows, hold down the Alt key while typing
> the hex code, e.g. `211d' for R. On the Mac, open the Character Palette
> and jump to Letterlike Symbols.
>
> In Emacs, you can select the Unicode input method with
>
> `C-x <RET> C-\ ucs <RET>'
>
> Then typing U followed by the hex code, `U211d', will get you the
> double-struck R.
>

> Christian Moe

* Re: org-entities-user
@ 2010-05-21 15:37     ` Eric S Fraga