* Help with new exporter
@ 2013-07-10 16:32 John Rakestraw
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Rakestraw @ 2013-07-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings, list --

I've been using Philip Hirschhorn's exam documentclass
(http://www-math.mit.edu/~psh/#ExamCls) for several years to produce my
exams. I've been writing the exams in org-mode and using the exporter to
produce the pdf.

I've recently moved to org 8.0. (I like it!) I've successfully
converted all of my other export class definitions, but I can't figure
out how to define the exam class so that I can export my exams. I've
pasted below the class definition that worked with the previous exporter
(I know it's clumsy, but it worked) and also a sample version of what I
need in the tex file.

(I know I could just write the tex file directly, but it's nice to have
all of the course materials included in human-readable form in the
course org file.)

My problem is that I can't get the exporter to produce chunks like
this:

\begin{questions}
\question
A paragraph describing how the students should answer the following
questions.
\begin{parts}
\part
A multi-line question
\part
Another multi-line question
\end{parts}
\end{questions}

Thanks for whatever advice anyone can offer.

--John

Old template:
       (setq org-export-latex-classes (cons '("exam"
     ### I know that in the new exporter I need to change this variable
     "org-latex-classes" ###
       "% BEGIN exam Defaults
       [NO-DEFAULT-PACKAGES]
       [PACKAGES]
       \\documentclass[12pt]{exam}
       \\usepackage{palatino}
       \\extrawidth{.5in}
       \\extraheadheight{-.75in}
       \\extrafootheight[-3in]{-.75in}
       \\pagestyle{headandfoot}
       \\NoKey
       \\NumberOfVersions{1}
       \\renewcommand\\thequestion{\\Roman{question}}
       \\renewcommand\\thepartno{\\arabic{partno}}
       \\renewcommand\\partlabel{\\thepartno.}

       % END exam Defaults

       "
              ("\\begin{questions}" "\\end{questions}"
"\\begin{questions}" "\\end{questions}")
              ("\\question" . "\\question*")
              ("\\begin{parts}" "\\end{parts}" "\\begin{parts}"
"\\end{parts}")
              ("\\part" . "\\part*"))

       org-export-latex-classes))

An example of what I need the exporter to produce:

\documentclass[letterpaper]{exam}
\extrawidth{.5in}
\extraheadheight[.3in]{-.75in}
\extrafootheight{-.25in}
\raggedright
\renewcommand\thequestion{\Roman{question}}
\renewcommand\thepartno{\arabic{partno}}
\renewcommand\partlabel{\thepartno.}
\firstpageheader{Name: \enspace\makebox[3in]{\hrulefill}\\Exam
1\\}{}{Introductory Class \\May 7, 2013\\}
\begin{document}

\begin{coverpages}
text describing how the exam should be printed and prepared for
distribution.
\end{coverpages}

\begin{questions}
\question
A paragraph here describes this section and tells students how many
terms to
identify.
\begin{parts}
\part
term 1
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 2
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 3
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 4
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 5
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 6
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 7
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 7
\vspace*{\fill}
\part
term 8
\end{parts}
\end{questions}
\newpage
\fillwithdottedlines{\fill}
\newpage
\begin{questions}
\question
Short Answer. A paragraph describing how I want students to respond to
the
following questions. I want to leave vertical space filled with dotted
lines
between the questions, and I want two questions on each page.
\begin{parts}
\part
This is the first question. It will be several lines long, so I'm
writing enough
filler here to add at least a second line.
\fillwithdottedlines{\fill}
\part
This is the second question. It will also be several lines long, so I
need
filler enough to get to the second line for this example.
\fillwithdottedlines{\fill}

\newpage
\fillwithdottedlines{\fill}
\newpage
\part
This is the 3d question.
\fillwithdottedlines{\fill}
\end{parts}
\end{questions}
\newpage
\fillwithdottedlines{\fill}
\newpage
\begin{questions}
\question
Essay Question. This is a section of essay questions. Students will
answer only
one of these questions, so I don't need to leave space between the two
questions.
\begin{parts}
\part
The first of the essay questions goes here. It will be several lines
long, so I
want enough text in the example to provide a line break.
\part
The second essay question. It is also several lines long, so I'll add
some
rambling text here for the second line.
\end{parts}
\end{questions}