* LaTeX export: images subplots
@ 2013-09-12  1:56 Martin Leduc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Martin Leduc @ 2013-09-12  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi all,
  I am using org-mode to write a report with several figures. I would like to group some images into a same figure, let say a 2x2 panel. I know that I can directly embed latex code in my org file, for example by using the subfloats (from the latex subfig package).

However, I would prefer to use an org-based solution of inserting the image links in order to keep the convenient way of previewing images right into the buffer with C-c C-x C-v.

The only solution I found is by using tables such as:

#+CAPTION: Insert caption here.
#+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
| [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
| [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |

where the size of the images is controled by p{} and C-cxv is working. However, in the exported TeX file, it is a table, not a figure. Is there a cleaner way to make image panels that would preserve the figure environment in the exported TeX file ?

Thanks a lot,
Martin

* Re: LaTeX export: images subplots
@ 2013-09-12  2:47 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-09-12  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Leduc; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Martin Leduc <mart_00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I am using org-mode to write a report with several figures. I would like
> to group some images into a same figure, let say a 2x2 panel. I know that I
> can directly embed latex code in my org file, for example by using the
> subfloats (from the latex subfig package).
>
> However, I would prefer to use an org-based solution of inserting the image
> links in order to keep the convenient way of previewing images right into
> the buffer with C-c C-x C-v.
>
> The only solution I found is by using tables such as:
>
> #+CAPTION: Insert caption here.
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
>
> where the size of the images is controled by p{} and C-cxv is working.
> However, in the exported TeX file, it is a table, not a figure. Is there a
> cleaner way to make image panels that would preserve the figure environment
> in the exported TeX file ?

Just wanted to cite my similar (same?) question from a bit back:
- http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-03/msg01800.html

The only suggest I got was to use the subfig package, which may
actually be something like what you're looking for.

I guess p{width} /could/ work for what I was going for, but I will
often stagger images and my own "captions" via the org table:

#+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
| [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
| /blah blah/  |  /blah blah/  |
|   |   |
| [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
| /blah blah/  |  /blah blah/  |
|   |   |

I don't like using p{} because everything is left aligned and I like
to center the images and the "caption" text below each one.
Unfortunately, there's no centered equivalent to p{}. Thus, I end up
using \includegraphics[widt]{} manually.

Anyway, sorry if that's off-topic. Just wanted to voice that I have a
use for this general sort of thing as well. Heck, I think even
applying the beamer columns principle to LaTeX article classes would
work and be quite neat.

Thanks,
John

@ 2013-09-12  3:13   ` Martin Leduc
From: Martin Leduc @ 2013-09-12  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi John,
   this solution using tables was indeed inspired from your post, I am so sorry, I should have refered to it...

I suppose that the feature has not been implemented yet. I am now thinking of generating a panel with imagemagick before including it in the org buffer, for example with

#+begin_src sh
convert +append image1.png image2.png panel.png
#+end_src

and hence

#+CAPTION:
[[panel.png]]

to have the two images side by side both in the buffer (with C-cxv) and the latex pdf (within a figure environment).

Is there a cleaner org solution that I would have missed ?
Thanks again,
Martin

@ 2013-09-12  3:19     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-09-12  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Leduc; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Martin Leduc <mart_00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi John,
>    this solution using tables was indeed inspired from your post, I am so
> sorry, I should have refered to it...

Ha! No problem at all -- small mailing list world :)

> I suppose that the feature has not been implemented yet. I am now thinking
> of generating a panel with imagemagick before including it in the org
> buffer, for example with
>
> #+begin_src sh
> convert +append image1.png image2.png panel.png
> #+end_src
>
> and hence
>
> #+CAPTION:
> [[panel.png]]

What in the wide world of sports!? That's amazing and I can't believe
I've never run into that. Sooo flipping handy. I've been looking for
an easy way to do this with dissimilar ggplot2 plots where facetting
is hard or doesn't make sense as well:
- Like this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18046051/setting-individual-axis-limits-with-facet-wrap-and-scales-free-in-ggplot2

That's pretty awesome and I just tried it; works beautifully.

Then again, I think handling images in Org tables would be just
fantastic. Not need for an external program or the compile time.
Perhaps a bit tricky as one would have to infer from some #+attr_latex
property that one wanted to apply some size parameter to every
[option] box of the converted \includegraphics line...

In any case, thanks for this and I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully
others chime in.

John

@ 2013-09-12  4:45 ` Charles Berry
From: Charles Berry @ 2013-09-12  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martin Leduc <mart_00 <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,

> I am using org-mode to write a report with several figures. I would
> like to group some images into a same figure, let say a 2x2 panel. I
> know that I can directly embed latex code in my org file, for
> example by using the subfloats (from the latex subfig package).
> However, I would prefer to use an org-based solution of inserting
> the image links in order to keep the convenient way of previewing
> images right into the buffer with C-c C-x C-v.

> The only solution I found is by using tables such as:
>
> #+CAPTION: Insert caption here.
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
>

> where the size of the images is controled by p{} and C-cxv is
> working.  However, in the exported TeX file, it is a table, not a
> figure. Is there a cleaner way to make image panels that would
> preserve the figure environment in the exported TeX file ?

I think you are close.

Use

#+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none
#+name: imtable
<insert-your-table-here>
#+END_SRC

This gives you the images in a form you can view and a way to access the
links so you can export them in a different form.

For example,

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var a=imtable :exports results :results raw
  (mapconcat (lambda(y)
               (mapconcat
                (lambda(x) (org-export-string-as x 'latex t)) y "")) a "")
#+END_SRC

exports as

\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]{img3070YH.png}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]img307BjN.png}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]img307OtT.png}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]img307b3Z.png}

when the elements in the table are the image paths img*.png as shown.

HTH,

Chuck

* Re: LaTeX export: images subplots
@ 2013-09-12 10:38 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-09-12 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Martin Leduc <mart_00@hotmail.com> writes:

> The only solution I found is by using tables such as:
>
> #+CAPTION: Insert caption here.
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
>
> where the size of the images is controled by p{} and C-cxv is
> working. However, in the exported TeX file, it is a table, not a
> figure. Is there a cleaner way to make image panels that would
> preserve the figure environment in the exported TeX file ?

For now it should be possible to write a filter doing this, tho I'm
not sure a table is the 'correct' way to represent subfigures in Org
(were they to be supported), although it is nice and visual.

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> The only suggest I got was to use the subfig package, which may
> actually be something like what you're looking for.

subcaption is another possibility.  I'm mostly using that these days.

–Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs

* Re: LaTeX export: images subplots
@ 2013-09-13  3:32       ` Martin Leduc
From: Martin Leduc @ 2013-09-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks for all suggestions. I will probably stick with the solution of generating the panels with imagemagick and then including them as figures [[panel.png]].

Regards,
Martin

@ 2013-09-13 11:02   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-13 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 09:47:08PM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Martin Leduc <mart_00@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >   I am using org-mode to write a report with several figures. I would like
> > to group some images into a same figure, let say a 2x2 panel. I know that I
> > can directly embed latex code in my org file, for example by using the
> > subfloats (from the latex subfig package).
> >
> > However, I would prefer to use an org-based solution of inserting the image
> > links in order to keep the convenient way of previewing images right into
> > the buffer with C-c C-x C-v.
> >
> > The only solution I found is by using tables such as:
> >
> > #+CAPTION: Insert caption here.
> > #+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
> > | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
> > | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
> >
> > where the size of the images is controled by p{} and C-cxv is working.
> > However, in the exported TeX file, it is a table, not a figure. Is there a
> > cleaner way to make image panels that would preserve the figure environment
> > in the exported TeX file ?
>
> Just wanted to cite my similar (same?) question from a bit back:
> - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-03/msg01800.html

Actually this might be easier than we might think.

AFAIK, there is already a feature of writing matrices with tables (sorry
no citation).  Maybe that can adapted for images?

Hope this helps,

--
Suvayu