* BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-20 18:28 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-01-20 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

It seems today is bug reporting day :)

,----[ minimal.emacs ]

`----

,----[ test.org ]
| * one
|   SCHEDULED: <2008-01-20 Sun>
| * two
|   SCHEDULED: <2008-01-19 Sat>
| * three
|   SCHEDULED: <2008-01-17 Thu>
| *** TODO One Two Three
`----

| Keystroke     | Notes                           |
|---------------+---------------------------------|
| C-c C-x C-c   | Enter column view in the agenda |
| down arrow    | to task                         |
| right arrow   | to Estimated Effort field       |
| S-right arrow | to set the value                |
|---------------+---------------------------------|

Each time I set the value I get the error:

org-columns-update: Marker does not point anywhere

but it does work and update the task property so it's not harming
anything in org-mode data that I can see - it just beeps and displays
the message which is confusing.

This also breaks C-x ( macros which I use alot when repeating the same
actions on multiple tasks.  When the error displays the macro recording
terminates which is a little inconvenient.

With the cursor on a task in the agenda

| Keystroke     | Notes                             |
|---------------+-----------------------------------|
| C-x (         | Start macro recording             |
| right arrow   | to Estimated Effort field         |
| S-right arrow | to set the value (displays error) |
| C-x )         | to stop recording                 |
|---------------+-----------------------------------|

This issues the error

kmacro-end-macro: Not defining kbd macro

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-21  6:56 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-21  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

So far I cannot reproduce this problem.  One helpful thing would be to
post
a full backtrace, made with uncompiled org.el that will tell me exactly
which function tries to use an undefined marker.

BTW, I guess your file starts with an empty line, to get column view
for the entire file?  Or do you call it in one of those headlines?  If
yes why do yoou need "down to get to the task?

- Carsten

@ 2008-01-21 14:32   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-01-21 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> So far I cannot reproduce this problem.  One helpful thing would be to
> post
> a full backtrace, made with uncompiled org.el that will tell me exactly
> which function tries to use an undefined marker.

How do I generate a debug backtrace again?  I tried finding this on
the list but failed :(

> BTW, I guess your file starts with an empty line, to get column view
> for the entire file?  Or do you call it in one of those headlines?  If
> yes why do yoou need "down to get to the task?

No there is no blank line at the top of the file.  I used
boxquote-insert-file without touching the result.

I can't use a blank line in my regular (huge) org files because column
view seems to go into an infinite loop sometimes (or I never waited long
enough for it to finish)

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-21 15:49     ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2008-01-21 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen said unto the world upon 21/01/08 08:32 AM:
> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> So far I cannot reproduce this problem.  One helpful thing would be to
>> post
>> a full backtrace, made with uncompiled org.el that will tell me exactly
>> which function tries to use an undefined marker.
>
> How do I generate a debug backtrace again?  I tried finding this on
> the list but failed :(

<http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback>

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-21 15:54     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-01-21 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> So far I cannot reproduce this problem.  One helpful thing would be to
>> post
>> a full backtrace, made with uncompiled org.el that will tell me exactly
>> which function tries to use an undefined marker.
>
> How do I generate a debug backtrace again?  I tried finding this on
> the list but failed :(

(setq debug-on-error t)

In case you've lost the backtrace buffer, its name is *Backtrace*.

--
Bastien

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-22 21:09   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-01-22 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> BTW, I guess your file starts with an empty line, to get column view
> for the entire file?  Or do you call it in one of those headlines?  If
> yes why do yoou need "down to get to the task?

When emacs starts up it shows the agenda view.  The down arrow to the
task moves from the date to the first task so I can edit the estimated
effort column.

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-22 21:11   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-01-22 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

 > So far I cannot reproduce this problem.  One helpful thing would be to
> post
> a full backtrace, made with uncompiled org.el that will tell me exactly
> which function tries to use an undefined marker.

Hopefully I did this backtrace correctly.

$ emacs -q -l ~/minimal.emacs -l ~/git/org-mode/org.el

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Marker does not point anywhere")
  goto-char(#<marker in no buffer>)
  (save-excursion (goto-char beg) (setq end (condition-case nil ... ...)) (goto-char end) (while (re-search-backward re beg t) (setq sumpos ... last-level level level ... val ... valflag ...) (cond ... ... ...)))
  (let* ((re ...) (lmax 30) (lsum ...) (lflag ...) (level 0) (ass ...) (format ...) (printf ...) (beg org-columns-top-level-marker) last-level val valflag flag end sumpos sum-alist sum str str1 useval) (save-excursion (goto-char beg) (setq end ...) (goto-char end) (while ... ... ...)))
  org-columns-compute("Effort")
  org-columns-update("Effort")
  (if (nth 3 (assoc key org-columns-current-fmt-compiled)) (org-columns-update key))
  (let* ((col ...) (key ...) (value ...) (bol ...) (eol ...) (pom ...) (line-overlays ...) (allowed ...) nval) (when (equal key "ITEM") (error "Cannot edit item headline from here")) (unless (or allowed ...) (error "Allowed values for this property have not been defined")) (if (member key ...) (setq nval ...) (if previous ...) (if ... ...) (setq nval ...) (if ... ...)) (let (...) (remove-text-properties ... eol ...) (unwind-protect ... ...)) (move-to-column col) (if (nth 3 ...) (org-columns-update key)))
  org-columns-next-allowed-value()
  call-interactively(org-columns-next-allowed-value)

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-24  8:33 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-01-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is now fixed, thanks for the backtrace.

On Jan 20, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> | Keystroke     | Notes                           |
> |---------------+---------------------------------|
> | C-c C-x C-c   | Enter column view in the agenda |

I had overlooked that you did this from the agenda.... :-(

- Carsten

* Re: BUG: column view in agenda -- marker does not point anywhere
@ 2008-01-24 12:26   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-01-24 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> This is now fixed, thanks for the backtrace.

Thanks!!

-Bernt