* wrong type of quotes in PDF manual
@ 2008-05-07  0:09 Daniel M. German
From: Daniel M. German @ 2008-05-07  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi everybody,

This is a minor "bug". The PDF document uses a different type of quote
than what emacs expects. For instance, if I cut and paste from the
manual I get this:

(define-key global-map "\C-cr" ’org-remember)

instead of

(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

They look the same (even as I write the message).  The first quote is a
multi-byte character (4 bytes)

e280 9927

the second a 1 byte character:

0a

May I suggest to replace ' with (quote ) in the manual? This error was
tricky to track, as these quotes look very similar within emacs (I am
using emacs23)

--daniel

* Re: wrong type of quotes in PDF manual
@ 2008-05-07  4:05 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2008-05-07  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmg; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Daniel M. German <dmg@uvic.ca> wrote:

> This is a minor "bug". The PDF document uses a different type of quote
> than what emacs expects. For instance, if I cut and paste from the
> manual I get this:

> May I suggest to replace ' with (quote ) in the manual? This error was
> tricky to track, as these quotes look very similar within emacs (I am
> using emacs23)

Unfortunately, this is no help at all to you and will be little
consolation, but there *is* a note in the Org manual (section 1.3,
"Activation") that explicitly warns about this, although I don't know
when it went in:

<quote>

   Important: If you use copy-and-paste to copy lisp code from the PDF
documentation as viewed by Acrobat reader to your .emacs file, the
single quote character comes out incorrectly and the code will not
work. You need to fix the single quotes by hand, or copy from Info
documentation.

</quote>

Also, I tried xpdf and (modulo selecting *all* of the text to be pasted
which is somewhat problematic, at least in my version of xpdf), I was
able to paste and save with the quotes intact. So (from my naive point
of view) it seems that Acroread does indeed mangle things.

Nick

* Re: wrong type of quotes in PDF manual
@ 2008-05-07  4:35   ` Daniel M German
From: Daniel M German @ 2008-05-07  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

 >> May I suggest to replace ' with (quote ) in the manual? This error was
 >> tricky to track, as these quotes look very similar within emacs (I am
 >> using emacs23)

Hi Nick,

 Nick> Unfortunately, this is no help at all to you and will be little
 Nick> consolation, but there *is* a note in the Org manual (section 1.3,
 Nick> "Activation") that explicitly warns about this, although I don't know
 Nick> when it went in:

 Nick> <quote>

 Nick>  Important: If you use copy-and-paste to copy lisp code from the PDF
 Nick> documentation as viewed by Acrobat reader to your .emacs file, the
 Nick> single quote character comes out incorrectly and the code will not
 Nick> work. You need to fix the single quotes by hand, or copy from Info
 Nick> documentation.

 Nick> </quote>

I read this once sometime ago. And I forgot about it (today I was trying
to update to the latest version of org).

 Nick> Also, I tried xpdf and (modulo selecting *all* of the text to be pasted
 Nick> which is somewhat problematic, at least in my version of xpdf), I was
 Nick> able to paste and save with the quotes intact. So (from my naive point
 Nick> of view) it seems that Acroread does indeed mangle things.

I used evince (under ubuntu), so it is not only acroread.

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca