* [BUG] org-babel-perl and formats
@ 2010-04-08  0:22 Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-04-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello.

I am not sure I will be able to spend some time on this so I'll share my
observation with you. org-babel-perl can't cope with perl formats, with
their endings to be precise. A format is defined by:

format FORMAT_NAME =
body of the format
.

The problem is that formats *must* and with a single solitary dot or, to
be precise "\n.\n" sequence. org-babel-perl doesn't care about it and
puts "\t" befor the dot.

Are these indents really necessary in the text
that goes straight through IPC pipes of our OS of choice?

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: [BUG] org-babel-perl and formats
@ 2010-04-08 15:50 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-04-08 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I am not sure I will be able to spend some time on this so I'll share my
> observation with you. org-babel-perl can't cope with perl formats, with
> their endings to be precise. A format is defined by:
>
> format FORMAT_NAME =
> body of the format
> .
>
> The problem is that formats *must* and with a single solitary dot or, to
> be precise "\n.\n" sequence. org-babel-perl doesn't care about it and
> puts "\t" befor the dot.

Hi Łukasz,

Could you post an example? I don't believe we insert tab
characters. I've never used a perl format before, but I just tried it
and it seemed to work OK with C-c C-c:

#+begin_src perl
  format STDOUT =
  @<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>
  "left", "middle", "right"
  .
  write ;
#+end_src

#+results:
: left    middle    right

Incidentally, do you know the variable org-src-preserve-indentation?
When I first read your email I thought that would be the answer. In fact
it doesn't seem to be relevant, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Dan

@ 2010-04-09  9:11   ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-04-09  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>> I am not sure I will be able to spend some time on this so I'll share my
>> observation with you. org-babel-perl can't cope with perl formats, with
>> their endings to be precise. A format is defined by:
>>
>> format FORMAT_NAME =
>> body of the format
>> .
>>
>> The problem is that formats *must* and with a single solitary dot or, to
>> be precise "\n.\n" sequence. org-babel-perl doesn't care about it and
>> puts "\t" befor the dot.
>
> Could you post an example? I don't believe we insert tab
> characters. I've never used a perl format before, but I just tried it
> and it seemed to work OK with C-c C-c:
>
> #+begin_src perl
>   format STDOUT =
>   @<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>
>   "left", "middle", "right"
>   .
>   write ;
> #+end_src
>
> #+results:
> : left    middle    right

With the very same code i get

Format not terminated at - line 11, at end of line
syntax error at - line 11, at EOF
Execution of - aborted due to compilation errors.

while strace shows the code being wrapped

write(9, "\nsub main {\n\tformat STDOUT =\n\t@<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>\n\t\"left\", \"middle\", \"right\"\n\t.\n\twrite ;\n}\n@r = main;\nopen(o, \">/tmp/perl-functional-results17170oCG\");\nprint o join(\"\\n\", @r), \"\\n\"", 184) = 184

inside something really odd:

  sub main {
          format STDOUT =
          @<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>
          "left", "middle", "right"
          .
          write ;
  }
  @r = main;
  open(o, ">/tmp/perl-functional-results17170oCG");
  print o join("\n", @r), "\n"

> Incidentally, do you know the variable org-src-preserve-indentation?
> When I first read your email I thought that would be the answer. In fact
> it doesn't seem to be relevant, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach

* Re: Re: [BUG] org-babel-perl and formats
@ 2010-04-09 13:21     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-04-09 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Łukasz Stelmach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:
>>> I am not sure I will be able to spend some time on this so I'll share my
>>> observation with you. org-babel-perl can't cope with perl formats, with
>>> their endings to be precise. A format is defined by:
>>>
>>> format FORMAT_NAME =
>>> body of the format
>>> .
>>>
>>> The problem is that formats *must* and with a single solitary dot or, to
>>> be precise "\n.\n" sequence. org-babel-perl doesn't care about it and
>>> puts "\t" befor the dot.
>>
>> Could you post an example? I don't believe we insert tab
>> characters. I've never used a perl format before, but I just tried it
>> and it seemed to work OK with C-c C-c:
>>
>> #+begin_src perl
>>   format STDOUT =
>>   @<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>
>>   "left", "middle", "right"
>>   .
>>   write ;
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+results:
>> : left    middle    right
>
> With the very same code i get
>
> Format not terminated at - line 11, at end of line
> syntax error at - line 11, at EOF
> Execution of - aborted due to compilation errors.

Oops. Sorry Łukasz, my mistake.

You are of course right, we were adding indentation to perl code
(apparently I started with a copy of org-babel-python.el when I wrote
org-babel-perl.el). That is fixed now.

We got different results because I had set perl to :results output by
default. For this particular block, you will also want to use
:results output (see below).

You pointed out that

> while strace shows the code being wrapped
>
> write(9, "\nsub main {\n\tformat STDOUT =\n\t@<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>\n\t\"left\", \"middle\", \"right\"\n\t.\n\twrite ;\n}\n@r = main;\nopen(o, \">/tmp/perl-functional-results17170oCG\");\nprint o join(\"\\n\", @r), \"\\n\"", 184) = 184
>
> inside something really odd:
>
>   sub main {
>           format STDOUT =
>           @<<<<<< @|||||| @>>>>>>
>           "left", "middle", "right"
>           .
>           write ;
>   }
>   @r = main;
>   open(o, ">/tmp/perl-functional-results17170oCG");
>   print o join("\n", @r), "\n"

Babel has two basic modes of execution:
:results value  ::  The default, you get the value of the last expression, interpreted as a list/table if possible.
:results output ::  You get stdout

The wrapping-in-function-body stuff only happens with :results value.

So by default, with the block above, you will get the counterintuitive outcome:

#+results:
| 1 |
| 1 |

The default outcome here is fairly baffling, and I imagine that perl
users are often going to want the contents of stdout. This can be done
globally with

(setq org-babel-default-header-args:perl '((:results . "output")))

The trouble with that is that perl blocks will not communicate nicely
with other blocks:

#+source: a-number
#+begin_src perl :results value
4
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var i=a-number()
(+ i 1)
#+end_src

#+results:
: 5

With :results output on the perl block, we get a

   Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, ""

because the perl block returns textual output rather than interpreting
the result as numeric.

Dan

@ 2010-04-09 20:53       ` Łukasz Stelmach
From: Łukasz Stelmach @ 2010-04-09 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Łukasz Stelmach <lukasz.stelmach@iem.pw.edu.pl> writes:

[...]
>> Format not terminated at - line 11, at end of line
>> syntax error at - line 11, at EOF
>> Execution of - aborted due to compilation errors.
>
> Oops. Sorry Łukasz, my mistake.
>
> You are of course right, we were adding indentation to perl code

Arrrr! ;-)

> Babel has two basic modes of execution:
> :results value  ::  The default, you get the value of the last expression, interpreted as a list/table if possible.
> :results output ::  You get stdout
[...]
> (setq org-babel-default-header-args:perl '((:results . "output")))
>
> The trouble with that is that perl blocks will not communicate nicely
> with other blocks:
[...]

Thanks for the warning. It'd probably took me quite some time to
investigate all those details.

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach