* Mass conversion of items
@ 2020-09-01 15:09 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-09-01 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Mass conversion of items
@ 2020-09-01 16:14 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-09-01 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 04:09:27PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I'm hoping that someone can help with this problem I have.
>
> I have several org-mode files which have some specific formatting in
> individual items, specifically -
>
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> \uuline{foo}
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> This gives a double-underling of 'foo' when exported to latex and built
> into a pdf file.
>
> I'm now in the situation when the double underlining also needs to be
> italicised, and in org-mode its showing as -
>
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> /\uuline{foo}/
> - --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> This gives a double-underling and italicised of 'foo' when exported to
> latex and built into a pdf file.
>
> I would like to change about 150+ 'foos' and possibly using
> 'replace-string' to do it. Also, 'foo' is lots of different words which
> includes spaces between some of them. So how can I do it please?

Hm. From your description it's unclear what exactly are you
after. A couple of questions to try to zoom into that:

 - You want to change the text in the curly braces, i.e. what
   you call 'foo' above? Is this text always different? Is it
   possible to state a rule describing how this text looks like
   and by what you want to replace it? Or is the process going
   to be manual?
 - All that stuff: is it in one file or scattered across multiple
   files?

I'm sure there are a couple of other questions I just forget now,
But we'll get there :)

Cheers
 - t

* Re: Mass conversion of items
@ 2020-09-01 16:19 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2020-09-01 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday,  1 Sep 2020 at 16:09, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> I would like to change about 150+ 'foos' and possibly using
> 'replace-string' to do it. Also, 'foo' is lots of different words which
> includes spaces between some of them. So how can I do it please?

You may wish to use replacement with regular expressions: Check info
manual for emacs, (emacs) Regexp Replace

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.3.7-725-g7bc18e

* Re: Mass conversion of items
@ 2020-09-01 17:12   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2020-09-01 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sharon Kimble

On 2020-09-01, at 18:19, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday,  1 Sep 2020 at 16:09, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> I would like to change about 150+ 'foos' and possibly using
>> 'replace-string' to do it. Also, 'foo' is lots of different words which
>> includes spaces between some of them. So how can I do it please?
>
> You may wish to use replacement with regular expressions: Check info
> manual for emacs, (emacs) Regexp Replace

Maybe you could also use keyboard macros for that.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Mass conversion of items
@ 2020-09-01 17:22   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2020-09-01 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for replying Tomas.
  <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 04:09:27PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>>
>> I'm hoping that someone can help with this problem I have.
>>
>> I have several org-mode files which have some specific formatting in
>> individual items, specifically -
>>
>> - --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> \uuline{foo}
>> - --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> This gives a double-underling of 'foo' when exported to latex and built
>> into a pdf file.
>>
>> I'm now in the situation when the double underlining also needs to be
>> italicised, and in org-mode its showing as -
>>
>> - --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>> /\uuline{foo}/
>> - --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> This gives a double-underling and italicised of 'foo' when exported to
>> latex and built into a pdf file.
>>
>> I would like to change about 150+ 'foos' and possibly using
>> 'replace-string' to do it. Also, 'foo' is lots of different words which
>> includes spaces between some of them. So how can I do it please?
>
> Hm. From your description it's unclear what exactly are you
> after. A couple of questions to try to zoom into that:
>
>  - You want to change the text in the curly braces, i.e. what
>    you call 'foo' above? Is this text always different? Is it
>    possible to state a rule describing how this text looks like
>    and by what you want to replace it? Or is the process going
>    to be manual?
>  - All that stuff: is it in one file or scattered across multiple
>    files?

Okay, being very specific, all of '\uuline{foo}' remains, but with a
forward slash at the beginning and end of '\uuline{foo}' to achieve this
'/\uuline{foo}/'

Thanks
  Sharon.

> I'm sure there are a couple of other questions I just forget now,
> But we'll get there :)
>
> Cheers
>  - t

- --
Debian 10.5, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 27.1, org 9.3.7

* Re: Mass conversion of items
@ 2020-09-01 17:36     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2020-09-01 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode