* yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-04-23  4:43 Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-04-23  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In the Git and mailing list history, we've got lots of references like
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052>.  Those Gmane
http links aren't so useful now, though you can still use that
information to access the message by doing things such as

  $ w3m -m nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052

(Offhand I don't know how to do the same in Gnus, despite it being my
primary method for following things over nntp.)

Anyway, for the public-inbox archives at <https://yhetil.org/orgmode>,
I've recently generated Gmane ID to Message-ID mappings and hooked them
up to public-inbox's altid feature.  The end result is that you can now
use the "gmane:" prefix to search by the Gmane ID:

  https://yhetil.org/orgmode/?q=gmane%3A112052

* Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-04-23  4:46 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-23  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> In the Git and mailing list history, we've got lots of references like
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052>.  Those Gmane
> http links aren't so useful now, though you can still use that
> information to access the message by doing things such as
>
>   $ w3m -m nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052
>
> (Offhand I don't know how to do the same in Gnus, despite it being my
> primary method for following things over nntp.)

I assume you can just use "j" in the summary buffer, and enter the
article number. Doing that for message 112052 got me message-id
"<87k28w7l6y.fsf@gmail.com>", is that correct?

* Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-04-23  4:58   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-04-23  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

[...]

>>   $ w3m -m nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052
>>
>> (Offhand I don't know how to do the same in Gnus, despite it being my
>> primary method for following things over nntp.)
>
> I assume you can just use "j" in the summary buffer, and enter the
> article number. Doing that for message 112052 got me message-id
> "<87k28w7l6y.fsf@gmail.com>", is that correct?

That's the one.  Thanks!

If you happen to know off the top of your head: Is there an easy way for
me to jump to that article if I'm not subscribed to the
gmane.emacs.orgmode group but have the nntp:news.gmane.io server set up
(for other lists)?

* Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-04-23  5:34     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-04-23  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

>> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>>   $ w3m -m nntp://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/112052
>>>
>>> (Offhand I don't know how to do the same in Gnus, despite it being my
>>> primary method for following things over nntp.)
>>
>> I assume you can just use "j" in the summary buffer, and enter the
>> article number. Doing that for message 112052 got me message-id
>> "<87k28w7l6y.fsf@gmail.com>", is that correct?
>
> That's the one.  Thanks!
>
> If you happen to know off the top of your head: Is there an easy way for
> me to jump to that article if I'm not subscribed to the
> gmane.emacs.orgmode group but have the nntp:news.gmane.io server set up
> (for other lists)?

Hmm, this isn't something I do very often, but I think if you make an
ephemeral group with either "B" or "G M" (the interfaces are different,
but I believe the result is the same) you can enter the group name,
specify that it should use your nntp:news.gmane.io server, then the
group will open and you can do the "j" trick. The group should disappear
from your Gnus installation when you're done with it. You could also
write your own wrapper around gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group.

It might take some experimentation!

Eric

* Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-05-21  7:24 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-21  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Anyway, for the public-inbox archives at <https://yhetil.org/orgmode>,

I find the interface to be very useful.

Is it possible to make it the standard/official way to search through
emacs-orgmode mailing list?  Perhaps by hosting it on orgmode.org or
by having a CNAME pointing to it?

Let me how I can help with this.

> I've recently generated Gmane ID to Message-ID mappings and hooked them
> up to public-inbox's altid feature.  The end result is that you can now
> use the "gmane:" prefix to search by the Gmane ID:
>
>   https://yhetil.org/orgmode/?q=gmane%3A112052

That's very useful too.  We would fix the dead links on worg.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-05-23  0:01   ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-05-23  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Anyway, for the public-inbox archives at <https://yhetil.org/orgmode>,
>
> I find the interface to be very useful.

I'm glad to hear that!

> Is it possible to make it the standard/official way to search through
> emacs-orgmode mailing list?  Perhaps by hosting it on orgmode.org or
> by having a CNAME pointing to it?
>
> Let me how I can help with this.

Making it available at orgmode.org sounds fine to me.  My preference
would be for the orgmode.org server to host an actual mirror of the
archive.  This wouldn't involve setting up incoming mail on the server;
getting new messages would be a "git fetch && public-inbox-index".
Hopefully setting things up would be pretty painless given that I
already have a working setup.

And, as a general note, I'd be happy to see others host mirrors.  One of
the great things about public-inbox is that it makes it easy to do so.

>> I've recently generated Gmane ID to Message-ID mappings and hooked them
>> up to public-inbox's altid feature.  The end result is that you can now
>> use the "gmane:" prefix to search by the Gmane ID:
>>
>>   https://yhetil.org/orgmode/?q=gmane%3A112052
>
> That's very useful too.  We would fix the dead links on worg.

True :)  In my view it'd be best to rewrite the URLs in a form that
includes the message ID.  That (1) makes it easier to rewrite them to a
different host/server if they break in the future and (2) lets users
find the message in whatever archive they prefer, including their local
mail, as long as lookup by message ID is supported.

If anyone is interested in the Gmane ID to message ID mappings, you can
get them with

  curl -d'' -XPOST https://yhetil.org/orgmode/gmane.sql.gz | \
    gzip -dc | sqlite3 gmane.sqlite3

(Note that -d'' seems to be necessary but shouldn't be.  I haven't
looked into it, though.)

* Re: yhetil.org/orgmode now supports searching by Gmane ID
@ 2020-05-24 12:05     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-05-24 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

>> Let me how I can help with this.
>
> Making it available at orgmode.org sounds fine to me.  My preference
> would be for the orgmode.org server to host an actual mirror of the
> archive.  This wouldn't involve setting up incoming mail on the server;
> getting new messages would be a "git fetch && public-inbox-index".
> Hopefully setting things up would be pretty painless given that I
> already have a working setup.

Great, thanks -- can you send me the instructions in private on how to
set up a mirror on orgmode.org?

--
 Bastien