* video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20  6:05 Eric Schulte
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-20  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the gource
(http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git commit
histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.

See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681

Cheers -- Eric

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20  6:15 ` Scot Becker
From: Scot Becker @ 2010-05-20  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

It's marked as a 'Private Video'.

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20  6:32   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-20  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scot Becker; +Cc: Org Mode

Ah, excuse me, should be public now.  Thanks -- Eric

Scot Becker <scot.becker@gmail.com> writes:

> It's marked as a 'Private Video'.

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 15:20 ` Carsten Dominik
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-20 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

On May 20, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the
> gource
> (http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git
> commit
> histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.
>
> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681

Awesome!  Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser gun :-)

Cheers

- Carsten

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 16:03   ` Richard Riley
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-05-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On May 20, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the
>> gource
>> (http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git
>> commit
>> histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.
>>
>> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681
>
> Awesome!  Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser gun :-)

Really amazing!

BTW, you reminded me of the main character from Williams' 80s arcade
game Robotron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPIbQnPA4gY&feature=related

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 17:17     ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-05-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On May 20, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>
>>> So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the
>>> gource
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git
>>> commit
>>> histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.
>>>
>>> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681
>>
>> Awesome!  Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser gun :-)
>>

> Really amazing!

Yeah, that is strangely fun to watch.

Eric -- any tips on building gource and the command line used to produce
the video? Did you do it on OS X or linux? I got gource to build on
ubuntu after installing a bunch of graphics-related packages, and I
found a possible-looking command line at

http://michaeldehaan.net/2010/01/15/source-code-visualization-with-gource/

using that I get

gource -s 0.03 --auto-skip-seconds 0.1 --file-idle-time 500 --max-files 500 --multi-sampling -1280x720 --stop-at-end   --output-ppm-stream - | ffmpeg -y -b 3000K -r 24 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -i - -vcodec mpeg4 gource.mp4
gource: SDL initialization failed - Couldn't find matching GLX visual

which makes me worry that it's just not going to happen on my netbook's
graphics card. But am speaking from position of almost complete
ignorance.

Dan

@ 2010-05-20 18:08   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-05-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, May 20 2010,Carsten Dominik wrote:

[snipped 8 lines]

>> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681
>
> Awesome!  Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser gun :-)

I was going to say it reminded me of star wars and you hopping from
one cluster to another. :-)

[snipped 11 lines]

 sivaram

* Re: Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 19:16       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-05-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

WOW! That's so cool!

  Sebastian

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 21:50   ` Mark Elston
From: Mark Elston @ 2010-05-20 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 5/20/2010 8:20 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 20, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>
>> So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the gource
>> (http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git commit
>> histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.
>>
>> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681
>
> Awesome! Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser gun :-)
>
> Cheers
>
> - Carsten

More like a hyperactive bee pollinating flowers...

Mark

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 21:55     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-05-20 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Elston; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 20, 2010, at 11:50 PM, Mark Elston wrote:

> On 5/20/2010 8:20 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On May 20, 2010, at 8:05 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>
>>> So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the
>>> gource
>>> (http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git
>>> commit
>>> histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.
>>>
>>> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681
>>
>> Awesome! Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser
>> gun :-)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> More like a hyperactive bee pollinating flowers...

Yes, this is better!  Thanks!  I feel better now... :-)

> Mark

- Carsten

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
@ 2010-05-20 22:33       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-05-20 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

[...]
> Eric -- any tips on building gource and the command line used to produce
> the video? Did you do it on OS X or linux?

Hi Dan,

I found it really easy to get running on Linux (Ubuntu 10.04), luckily
all of the dependencies in the INSTALL file of the tarball can be
coppied and pasted into a single apt-get command to resolve all package
dependencies.

They offer instructions for generating a video at the following page
http://code.google.com/p/gource/wiki/Videos

I used the following command
: ./gource -a 1 -s 0.25 --highlight-all-users --hide filenames -640x480 --output-framerate 30 --disable-progress --stop-at-end --output-ppm-stream - ~/src/org |ffmpeg -y -b 2000k -r 30 -f image2pipe -vcodec ppm -i - ~/Desktop/org-git-history.mp4

Cheers -- Eric

@ 2010-05-21  3:00 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-05-21  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org Mode

On May 19, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> So this has been done before, but I recently stumbled across the
> gource
> (http://code.google.com/p/gource/) tool for visualization of git
> commit
> histories, and I applied it to Org-mode's git repository.
>
> See the results at http://vimeo.com/11889681
>
> Cheers -- Eric

Eric,

Thanks for this.  The visualization of the Org-mode project history is
extremely interesting.

Tom

* Re: video of the org-mode git repository
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-06-14 15:13   ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 2010-06-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

CD> Awesome!  Even though I look like a hyperactive kid with a laser gun :-)

Translation: You're overworked and under-paid!
--
Wes Hardaker
My Pictures:  http://capturedonearth.com/