* Link to source file location with content preview
@ 2020-07-02 20:09 Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2020-07-02 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I would like to create links from an org-mode file to source file
locations that display a preview of the link destination in the form of
a source code block or similar with a few lines of the file content.

Is this doable with org-store-link and org-insert-link?

A related question: does anyone have some elisp code that turns a Grep
buffer (the results of running "M-x grep") into org-mode links to the
locations?

Thank you!

Cheers,
Dan

* Re: Link to source file location with content preview
@ 2020-07-02 22:19 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-07-02 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniele Nicolodi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Daniele Nicolodi writes:

> A related question: does anyone have some elisp code that turns a Grep
> buffer (the results of running "M-x grep") into org-mode links to the
> locations?

I have something like that.  I haven't used it in a while, but a quick
tests suggests it still works.  If you keep it around/modify it, you'll
want to update the obsolete org-make-link-string to
org-link-make-string.

-- >8 --
(defun km/org-grep-buffer-to-list ()
  "Convert `grep-mode' buffer to Org mode list."
  (interactive)
  (let ((result-re (rx line-start
                       (group (one-or-more (not (any ":"))))
                       ":"
                       (group (one-or-more digit))
                       ":"
                       (group (one-or-more not-newline))
                       line-end))
        (dir default-directory)
        results
        cmd)
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (forward-line 3)
      (setq cmd (buffer-substring-no-properties (line-beginning-position)
                                                (line-end-position)))
      (forward-line 1)
      (while (and (not (looking-at-p "\n\\s-*$"))
                  (re-search-forward result-re nil t))
        (push (list (match-string-no-properties 1)
                    (match-string-no-properties 2)
                    (match-string-no-properties 3))
              results))
      (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*Org grep results*")
        (setq default-directory dir)
        (erase-buffer)
        (insert "\n* Results [/]\n\n")
        (insert (format "Call: %s\n\n" cmd))
        (pcase-dolist (`(,file ,_ ,text) (nreverse results))
          (insert (format "- [ ] %s\n"
                          (org-make-link-string
                           (concat "file:" file "::" text)
                           (let ((desc (concat file ":" text)))