* Is this the best place for noob questions too?
@ 2010-04-27 22:00 David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-27 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I notice that you guys all seem to be VERY MUCH experts in orgmode. . . my
questions are all very . . urm . . RTFM'ish, or just noobish.

Should I be posting them somewhere else?  I'm still incorporating org-mode
into my life, and making many mistakes . . . but, I love the simplicity.

I'm also loving having emacs back in my life too.  Last night, I remotely
edited some files on my web server.  I've been doing that for a while with
sshfs, but, I forgot how seamless you can do it with emacs. . . pretty much
deprecated sshfs for me (in the way I use it -- I'm either editing a lot of
stuff, or I ssh over, or I rsync -- I had been using sshfs for the editing,
and now no longer need to!)

Anyway, thanks for the answers so far, and thanks for the new ones that will
surely come when I get confused again.  I think my next goal is to come up
with some way to use multiple files to help my organizaition . . and somehow
link them together.  (Don't tell me . . still reading the fine manual!)

-Dave

* Re: Is this the best place for noob questions too?
@ 2010-04-27 23:31 ` Adam
From: Adam @ 2010-04-27 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 10:00 am, David Frascone wrote:
> I notice that you guys all seem to be VERY MUCH experts in orgmode. . . my
> questions are all very . . urm . . RTFM'ish, or just noobish.
>
> Should I be posting them somewhere else?  I'm still incorporating org-mode
> into my life, and making many mistakes . . . but, I love the simplicity.
>
> I'm also loving having emacs back in my life too.  Last night, I remotely
> edited some files on my web server.  I've been doing that for a while with
> sshfs, but, I forgot how seamless you can do it with emacs. . . pretty much
> deprecated sshfs for me (in the way I use it -- I'm either editing a lot of
> stuff, or I ssh over, or I rsync -- I had been using sshfs for the editing,
> and now no longer need to!)
>
> Anyway, thanks for the answers so far, and thanks for the new ones that
> will surely come when I get confused again.  I think my next goal is to
> come up with some way to use multiple files to help my organizaition . .
> and somehow link them together.  (Don't tell me . . still reading the fine
> manual!)
>

> -Dave

As fellow newbie, I sometimes wonder myself.  This list is high traffic,
with much on add-in Org-mode packs, hacks and source bug-fixes.

So for me, its still basically the Tutorials and Introductions. Thanks to
all involved for those. And the Org-mode Manual of course, which
itself is a little dense or daunting - perhaps the key to all.

Babel sure looks good or handy, but I'm not there yet.
Remember-mode is sure handy. Am still juggling the
Agendas and Tags, almost publishing.

Nice to hear from another newbie. Will keep plugging away.

* Re: Is this the best place for noob questions too?
@ 2010-04-27 23:32   ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2010-04-27 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can also join #org-mode on freenode

@ 2010-04-28  7:27 ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-04-28  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Frascone; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 27/04/10 23:00, David Frascone wrote:

> I notice that you guys all seem to be VERY MUCH experts in orgmode. . .
> my questions are all very . . urm . . RTFM'ish, or just noobish.
>
> Should I be posting them somewhere else?  I'm still incorporating
> org-mode into my life, and making many mistakes . . . but, I love the
> simplicity.
>
> I'm also loving having emacs back in my life too.  Last night, I
> remotely edited some files on my web server.  I've been doing that for a
> while with sshfs, but, I forgot how seamless you can do it with emacs. .
> . pretty much deprecated sshfs for me (in the way I use it -- I'm either
> editing a lot of stuff, or I ssh over, or I rsync -- I had been using
> sshfs for the editing, and now no longer need to!)
>
> Anyway, thanks for the answers so far, and thanks for the new ones that
> will surely come when I get confused again.  I think my next goal is to
> come up with some way to use multiple files to help my organizaition . .
> and somehow link them together.  (Don't tell me . . still reading the
> fine manual!)

I have been using org-mode for about three years and I am still a
noobie:) Asking questions here helps future users, because the answers
are then available via the list's history.

Org is capable of doing so many things that most people only use a
subset of the available features. Quite often when browsing the list I
find posts that give me ideas of a new way of doing something, or
introduce me to some feature I wasn't aware of.

Ian.

* Re: Is this the best place for noob questions too?
@ 2010-04-28  7:29   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-28  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 11:31:18 +1200, Adam <ahcnz@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 April 2010 10:00 am, David Frascone wrote:
> > I notice that you guys all seem to be VERY MUCH experts in orgmode. . . my
> > questions are all very . . urm . . RTFM'ish, or just noobish.

[...]

> As fellow newbie, I sometimes wonder myself.  This list is high traffic,
> with much on add-in Org-mode packs, hacks and source bug-fixes.

David & Adam,

don't worry.  Although I may not speak for the others on this list, I
think most people here are perfectly happy to have questions from
newbies!  The more people that use org mode, the better.

All I would say is that, besides the manual, you have good trawl
through the Worg website that has very many useful tutorials and
descriptions of different usage scenarios and workflows.  I found Worg
indispensable when getting started with org.

But please don't feel afraid to ask what might seem like silly
questions.  The worst that will happen is that you get pointed to one
of the sections in the manual...

Eric S Fraga, GnuPG Fingerprint: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D

* Re: Is this the best place for noob questions too?
@ 2010-04-28 16:56     ` David Frascone
From: David Frascone @ 2010-04-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: e.fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:29 AM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> David & Adam,
>
> don't worry.  Although I may not speak for the others on this list, I
> think most people here are perfectly happy to have questions from
> newbies!  The more people that use org mode, the better.
>
> All I would say is that, besides the manual, you have good trawl
> through the Worg website that has very many useful tutorials and
> descriptions of different usage scenarios and workflows.  I found Worg
> indispensable when getting started with org.
>
> But please don't feel afraid to ask what might seem like silly
> questions.  The worst that will happen is that you get pointed to one
> of the sections in the manual...

Glad to hear it . . . I just read the manual, cover to cover, on a flight,
and I have MANY more questions . . hehe . . . I'll send them in separate
e-mails :)

@ 2010-04-29  8:46   ` Jan Böcker
From: Jan Böcker @ 2010-04-29  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lists; +Cc: David Frascone, emacs-orgmode

On 28.04.2010 09:27, Ian Barton wrote:
> Quite often when browsing the list I
> find posts that give me ideas of a new way of doing something, or
> introduce me to some feature I wasn't aware of.

Same here, that's one of the reasons I read this list.

I guess most of us on this list are still a noob regarding some aspects
of Org, simply because they have never needed and used them.

I do not remember a single instance of a literal "RTFM" response on this
list. If you do ask a question that is answered in the documentation
somewhere, you tend to get a friendly pointer in the right direction.

Besides the Org Manual (which I recommend you to skim from cover to
cover to get a general idea of what features are available), the mailing
list archives, worg, and google, there is also C-h v (describe-variable).

A lot of settings cannot be found in the manual, but are described in
detail in the docstrings of their variables.

Press "C-h v org- <TAB>" to get a list of all Org related variables,
then switch to the completion window with "C-x o" and use isearch (C-s)
to search for a keyword.

For example, if I want to change some aspect of the agenda, I might type
"C-h v org-agenda- <TAB>" to get a list of all agenda related settings.
(I think I found org-agenda-remove-times-when-in-prefix that way.)

Best regards,
Jan

* Re: Is this the best place for noob questions too?
@ 2010-04-29 10:18     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-04-29 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Böcker; +Cc: David Frascone, emacs-orgmode