* Recommended global keybindings in the guide vs the manual
@ 2020-01-17 23:12 Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2020-01-17 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

org-guide.org:Introduction/Activation says:

Add the following lines to your Emacs init file.  The last four lines
define /global/ keys for some commands---please choose suitable keys
yourself.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
(global-set-key (kbd "C-l") 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-a") 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c") 'org-capture)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-b") 'org-switchb)
#+end_src

I realize that it says to "choose suitable keys yourself", but
surely, these should be identical to what the full manual recommends?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c l") 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c a") 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c c") 'org-capture)
#+end_src

Right?
--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Recommended global keybindings in the guide vs the manual
@ 2020-01-18  2:05 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-01-18  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> org-guide.org:Introduction/Activation says:

> Add the following lines to your Emacs init file.  The last four lines
> define /global/ keys for some commands---please choose suitable keys
> yourself.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
> ;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-l") 'org-store-link)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-a") 'org-agenda)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c") 'org-capture)
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-b") 'org-switchb)
> #+end_src

I was surprised to see the ones above because they're overriding some
pretty central Emacs bindings.  It looks like the "-c " in the middle
was unintentionally dropped in the guide's .texi to .org conversion
(1a678f184).

> I realize that it says to "choose suitable keys yourself", but
> surely, these should be identical to what the full manual recommends?

I've pushed 36cd249e7, which brings the guide's recommneded bindings in
agreement with the manual's.

Thanks for reporting.