* rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  0:02 Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Are there any plans to support remembering irc channels using org-mode?
e.g a hot link on a todo/remembered item which opens rcirc? I recall
planner had links to erc.

Thanks for any info.

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  0:09 ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-03-13  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard!

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Are there any plans to support remembering irc channels using org-mode?
> e.g a hot link on a todo/remembered item which opens rcirc? I recall
> planner had links to erc.

Yes, there is such a plan: org-irc.el, developed by Phil comes with the
latest org distribution:

  http://orgmode.org/org-5.23a.tar.gz

... and will surely be part of GNU Emacs soon.

--
Bastien

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  0:13 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-03-13  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Are there any plans to support remembering irc channels using org-mode?
> e.g a hot link on a todo/remembered item which opens rcirc? I recall
> planner had links to erc.

Note: org-irc.el fully supports Erc but Phil coded it in a way that the
support for rcirc should be quite straightforward.  Great if you can
help on this, because I don't know many rcirc users out there...

Best,

--
Bastien

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  0:20   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Richard!

Hi Bastien :-;

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Are there any plans to support remembering irc channels using org-mode?
>> e.g a hot link on a todo/remembered item which opens rcirc? I recall
>> planner had links to erc.
>
> Yes, there is such a plan: org-irc.el, developed by Phil comes with the
> latest org distribution:
>
>   http://orgmode.org/org-5.23a.tar.gz
>
> ... and will surely be part of GNU Emacs soon.

Woohoo! Thanks.

The guys on #emacs kind of laughed at me a while back for using erc -
apparently its seen as a bit girly ... rcirc doesnt seem to allow config
of multiple servers and channels though so I thought org-mode might be
useful for "remembering" servers and channels.

Thanks!

(ps I added a todo to write a beginners guide to getting code completion
working :-;)

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  0:33   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: org-mode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Are there any plans to support remembering irc channels using org-mode?
>> e.g a hot link on a todo/remembered item which opens rcirc? I recall
>> planner had links to erc.
>
> Note: org-irc.el fully supports Erc but Phil coded it in a way that the
> support for rcirc should be quite straightforward.  Great if you can
> help on this, because I don't know many rcirc users out there...

Thanks for the info.

I wish I could. Sorry, but elisp is a black art for me for anything but
the most simple things.

Yes, I just checked the code. It only supports erc. Planner already did
that and erc already allows multiple servers and channels to be
registered so I guess there was a good basis for the erc installation
into org-mode. Not to worry. Maybe I can look at it another time or move
back to erc. In fact I should probably question why I moved to rcirc
from erc!

regards

richard.

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  0:50     ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-03-13  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: org-mode

Hi folks.

i'd like to write that but before I have to understand how do you use it..
:)

I'm trying it with ERC and what I see: following an irc link takes you to
the corresponding buffer (say emacs channel)
What does that have to do with logs?

I must have missed something big this time...

-hugo

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
> > Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Are there any plans to support remembering irc channels using org-mode?
> >> e.g a hot link on a todo/remembered item which opens rcirc? I recall
> >> planner had links to erc.
> >
> > Note: org-irc.el fully supports Erc but Phil coded it in a way that the
> > support for rcirc should be quite straightforward.  Great if you can
> > help on this, because I don't know many rcirc users out there...
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I wish I could. Sorry, but elisp is a black art for me for anything but
> the most simple things.
>
> Yes, I just checked the code. It only supports erc. Planner already did
> that and erc already allows multiple servers and channels to be
> registered so I guess there was a good basis for the erc installation
> into org-mode. Not to worry. Maybe I can look at it another time or move
> back to erc. In fact I should probably question why I moved to rcirc
> from erc!
>
> regards
>
> richard.

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  1:09     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-03-13  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> The guys on #emacs kind of laughed at me a while back for using erc -
> apparently its seen as a bit girly ... rcirc doesnt seem to allow config
> of multiple servers and channels though so I thought org-mode might be
> useful for "remembering" servers and channels.

Erc, girlish ??  I wish I'd be mannish enough to use it correctly.
Let's fight against G33k poshery!

> (ps I added a todo to write a beginners guide to getting code
> completion working :-;)

Great :)

--
Bastien

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  1:12       ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-03-13  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Schmitt; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

"Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying it with ERC and what I see: following an irc link takes you
> to the corresponding buffer (say emacs channel) What does that have to
> do with logs?

Maybe try to configure this option:

  `org-irc-link-to-logs'

Not tested though... Phil might better help here.

--
Bastien

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  1:30         ` Hugo Schmitt
From: Hugo Schmitt @ 2008-03-13  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

Ok, now i got it working. Tks Bastien.

So I have another question (for Phil)... why is org-irc-link-to-logs a
customizable option?
It looks like linking to logs and linking to sessions are two totally
different things and users may want to do both at different times.

-Hugo

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> "Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > I'm trying it with ERC and what I see: following an irc link takes you
>  > to the corresponding buffer (say emacs channel) What does that have to
>  > do with logs?
>
>  Maybe try to configure this option:
>
>   `org-irc-link-to-logs'
>
>  Not tested though... Phil might better help here.
>
>  --
>  Bastien

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13  9:26           ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-03-13  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hugo Schmitt; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

"Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com> writes:

> So I have another question (for Phil)... why is org-irc-link-to-logs a
> customizable option?

What would you suggest? Separating them altogether? A new key binding?

> It looks like linking to logs and linking to sessions are two totally
> different things and users may want to do both at different times.

So how would the org-store-link know what to do in an ERC buffer when
called?

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13 10:19     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-13 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

> rcirc doesnt seem to allow config of multiple servers and channels
> though so I thought org-mode might be useful for "remembering" servers
> and channels.

Sure, it does!

(setq rcirc-server-alist
      '(("irc.freenode.net"
         :channels ("#rcirc" "#zsh"  "##metaconference" "#gnus" "#emacs"
                    "#stumpwm" "#latex" "#xfce" "#org-mode"))
        ("irc.oftc.net"
         :channels ("#bitlbee"))
        ("localhost"
         :channels ("&bitlbee"))))

(setq rcirc-authinfo
      `(("freenode"  nickserv ,rcirc-default-nick ,th-nickserv-password-freenode)
        ("oftc"      nickserv ,rcirc-default-nick ,th-nickserv-password-oftc)
        ("localhost" bitlbee  ,rcirc-default-nick ,th-bitlbee-password)))

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Richard Stallman wrote a program to compute the last digit of pi.

* Re: Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13 10:29       ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Richard,
>
>> rcirc doesnt seem to allow config of multiple servers and channels
>> though so I thought org-mode might be useful for "remembering" servers
>> and channels.
>
> Sure, it does!

Thanks Tassilo! I didn't see that in the
rcirc doc or customization-group. I must check the versions I have (I
already moved back to erc).

> (setq rcirc-server-alist
>       '(("irc.freenode.net"
>          :channels ("#rcirc" "#zsh"  "##metaconference" "#gnus" "#emacs"
>                     "#stumpwm" "#latex" "#xfce" "#org-mode"))
>         ("irc.oftc.net"
>          :channels ("#bitlbee"))
>         ("localhost"
>          :channels ("&bitlbee"))))
>
> (setq rcirc-authinfo
>       `(("freenode"  nickserv ,rcirc-default-nick ,th-nickserv-password-freenode)
>         ("oftc"      nickserv ,rcirc-default-nick ,th-nickserv-password-oftc)
>         ("localhost" bitlbee  ,rcirc-default-nick ,th-bitlbee-password)))
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

* Re: Re: rcirc
@ 2008-03-13 10:31         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-03-13 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

>>> rcirc doesnt seem to allow config of multiple servers and channels
>>> though so I thought org-mode might be useful for "remembering"
>>> servers and channels.
>>
>> Sure, it does!
>
> Thanks Tassilo! I didn't see that in the rcirc doc or
> customization-group. I must check the versions I have (I already moved
> back to erc).

Ah, maybe that's new in the version that comes with emacs 23.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: rcirc (bug?)
@ 2008-03-13 11:17       ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Richard G Riley

Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> The guys on #emacs kind of laughed at me a while back for using erc -
>> apparently its seen as a bit girly ... rcirc doesnt seem to allow config
>> of multiple servers and channels though so I thought org-mode might be
>> useful for "remembering" servers and channels.
>
> Erc, girlish ??  I wish I'd be mannish enough to use it correctly.
> Let's fight against G33k poshery!
>
>> (ps I added a todo to write a beginners guide to getting code
>> completion working :-;)
>
> Great :)

FYI, I created a task with a link for erc pointing to freenode/#debian
and when I selected it from my org file I got

"Wrong type argument: stringp, 6667"

(GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars) of
2007-12-15 on noname, modified by Debian)

org version 5.23a

The entry was:

,----
| :PROPERTIES:
| :CATEGORY: Debian
| :END:
| ** [2008-03-13 Thu 12:11] test
|
|   [[irc:/heinlein.freenode.net:6667/#debian][irc session 'heinlein.freenode.net:6667/#debian']]
`----

Both "enter" and "follow link" (C-c C-o) had the same problem.

* Re: rcirc (bug?)
@ 2008-03-13 11:23         ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-03-13 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard,

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Both "enter" and "follow link" (C-c C-o) had the same problem.

I've just put a fix in git for this. Can I ask how you initiate your
session? Is it interactively with erc-select?

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: rcirc (bug?)
@ 2008-03-13 11:35           ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Richard G Riley

Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> writes:

> Richard,
>
> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Both "enter" and "follow link" (C-c C-o) had the same problem.
>
> I've just put a fix in git for this. Can I ask how you initiate your

How do I get it? Or can you post the line here?

> session? Is it interactively with erc-select?

What do you mean interactively? The only way I know to start erc is with
erc-select. Or did you mean was erc already open when I selected the
link? If so, then both. Sometime erc is open, sometimes not.

* Re: rcirc (bug?)
@ 2008-03-13 11:57             ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2008-03-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> Both "enter" and "follow link" (C-c C-o) had the same problem.
>>
>> I've just put a fix in git for this. Can I ask how you initiate your
>
> How do I get it? Or can you post the line here?

Hold two, I'm going to make sure this is more robust. I'll post to this
thread when I'm done and you can help me test it if you would.

>> session? Is it interactively with erc-select?
>
> What do you mean interactively? The only way I know to start erc is with
> erc-select. Or did you mean was erc already open when I selected the
> link? If so, then both. Sometime erc is open, sometimes not.

It can be initialised non-interactively like this:

  (erc :server "irc.blah.com"
       :nick   "phil"
       :port   6667))

And :port can be a string or a number which is where this bug comes
from I think.

Cheers,
Phil
--
 Phil Jackson
 http://www.shellarchive.co.uk

* Re: rcirc (bug?)
@ 2008-03-13 12:10               ` Richard G Riley
       [not found]                 ` <873aqu8yji.fsf@shellarchive.co.uk>
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Jackson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Richard G Riley

Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> writes:

>>> I've just put a fix in git for this. Can I ask how you initiate your
>>
>> How do I get it? Or can you post the line here?
>
> Hold two, I'm going to make sure this is more robust. I'll post to this
> thread when I'm done and you can help me test it if you would.
>
>>> session? Is it interactively with erc-select?
>>
>> What do you mean interactively? The only way I know to start erc is with
>> erc-select. Or did you mean was erc already open when I selected the
>> link? If so, then both. Sometime erc is open, sometimes not.
>
> It can be initialised non-interactively like this:
>
>   (erc :server "irc.blah.com"
>        :nick   "phil"
>        :port   6667))
>
> And :port can be a string or a number which is where this bug comes
> from I think.

Neither, like this:

(defun load-erc()
  (interactive)
  (erc-select :server "irc.oftc.net" :password "**")
  (erc-select :server "irc.gnu.org" :password "**")
)

* Re: rcirc (bug?)
       [not found]                 ` <873aqu8yji.fsf@shellarchive.co.uk>
@ 2008-03-13 15:49                   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-13 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Jackson; +Cc: org-mode, Richard G Riley

Phil Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> [ list removed ]
>
> Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>> Hold two, I'm going to make sure this is more robust. I'll post to this
>>> thread when I'm done and you can help me test it if you would.
>
> Please find attached the latest copy. If you could give it a test for me
> I would much appreciate it.
>
> (I'm in #org-mode as 'redpick' if you wanna chat by the way).

I gave it a quick check.

One problem still : It fails if the server buffer exists but the
connection is closed.

It does now work if the buffer is either non existent or is there and
connected.