From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
To: Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, DigitalPig <lizhenqing.fudan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Is there any way to active the reminder of Org mode in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:01:05 -0400	[thread overview]

"Daniel Clemente" <n142857@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>    to me, appt is still rather uncomfortable; maybe because I don't
> know how to use it correctly. What I have found is:
>
>    If you don't notice a reminder message (for instance because you
> are away from your computer for hours), the reminder goes away and you
> never see it. appt might ask for a confirmation.
>
>    How can you go from the appointment reminder to the org file which
> describes it?

My setup sets up reminders for today only.  The run-at-time line
refreshes the appointments tomorrow if I leave Emacs running overnight.

The appointments (for me) are all viewable on the agenda.  Anything with
a time that shows up in the agenda for today sets an appointment alarm.
The first thing I do when returning to Emacs is check the agenda for
today - that's just a habit I have.  I don't normally have more than 1
or 2 appointments in a day and most days have no appointments.  I sit in
front of Emacs all day though and the beep reminder from the appointment
works great for me.

Other people have setups that pop-up a window when the appointment alarm
occurs - you can find details by searching the list archives.

>    Maybe it's 23:00 h and you have one appointment not for today, but
> for tomorrow; but appt shows you only the ones for today. How do you
> make it show just „the next one"?

The appointments from org-mode are in the agenda.  If you look at the
week agenda (C-c C-a a w) and have it set up to you always display today
forward the appointment is pretty obvious.

The setup for that is

 (setq org-agenda-start-on-weekday nil)

>    In fact, how can you see the next appointments? (Even if they are
> for next week)

Appointments are just for today.  I'd look ahead at my agenda for
scheduled items.  Repeated scheduled items show up on each day in the
agenda.

>    How can you make that appt checks your agenda every N hours?

As long as emacs is running the appointment list is active.  Each time I
change the agenda it refreshes the appointments for me.

>    appt displays the reminder at the modeline. What happens if, just
> after the message, you receive other messages? The reminder can also
> get lost.

It displays the appointment multiple times (and beeps) for me.  At 12
min, 9 min, 6 min, 3 min, and 0 min.  The modeline has the pending
appointment (App't in 4 min) during this entire period.

>    Do you find appt complete and nice to use? If so, how did you improve it?
>    Are there better methods?

It works great for me.  It's not "in-my-face" so that it disrupts
whatever I'm doing.  The beep, message, and modeline is enough of a
reminder and I just go to the org-entry from the agenda.

HTH,

Bernt