* Is there any way to active the reminder of Org mode in Emacs?
@ 2008-04-15 13:35 DigitalPig
From: DigitalPig @ 2008-04-15 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there~

I am using Emacs 22.2 with Org Mode 5.23a. I am wondering if Org mode
have the same function as diary in Emacs. That is if you have some
events or appointment. Diary pop-ups a window indicating that. How can I
let Org to remind me the coming events as diary? Thanks!

ZQ

--
DigitalPig
E-mail: digitalpiglee AT gmail DOT com

* Re: Is there any way to active the reminder of Org mode in Emacs?
@ 2008-04-15 14:34 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-04-15 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DigitalPig; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:05 PM, DigitalPig <lizhenqing.fudan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there~
>
>  I am using Emacs 22.2 with Org Mode 5.23a. I am wondering if Org mode
>  have the same function as diary in Emacs. That is if you have some
>  events or appointment. Diary pop-ups a window indicating that. How can I
>  let Org to remind me the coming events as diary? Thanks!

Try setting org-agenda-include-diary to t.

-- Manish

* Re: Is there any way to active the reminder of Org mode in Emacs?
@ 2008-04-15 14:51 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-04-15 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DigitalPig; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

DigitalPig <lizhenqing.fudan@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using Emacs 22.2 with Org Mode 5.23a. I am wondering if Org mode
> have the same function as diary in Emacs. That is if you have some
> events or appointment. Diary pop-ups a window indicating that. How can I
> let Org to remind me the coming events as diary? Thanks!

Hi!

I don't use the diary at all anymore.  I have the following setup in my
.emacs to create appointment reminders for org-mode

;; Get appointments for today
(defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (interactive)
  (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
  (org-agenda-to-appt))

(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Is there any way to active the reminder of Org mode in Emacs?
@ 2008-04-15 16:52   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2008-04-15 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, DigitalPig

Hi,
   to me, appt is still rather uncomfortable; maybe because I don't
know how to use it correctly. What I have found is:

   If you don't notice a reminder message (for instance because you
are away from your computer for hours), the reminder goes away and you
never see it. appt might ask for a confirmation.

   How can you go from the appointment reminder to the org file which
describes it?

   Maybe it's 23:00 h and you have one appointment not for today, but
for tomorrow; but appt shows you only the ones for today. How do you
make it show just „the next one"?

   In fact, how can you see the next appointments? (Even if they are
for next week)

   How can you make that appt checks your agenda every N hours?

   appt displays the reminder at the modeline. What happens if, just
after the message, you receive other messages? The reminder can also
get lost.

   Do you find appt complete and nice to use? If so, how did you improve it?
   Are there better methods?

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2008-04-15 18:01     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-04-15 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, DigitalPig

"Daniel Clemente" <n142857@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>    to me, appt is still rather uncomfortable; maybe because I don't
> know how to use it correctly. What I have found is:
>
>    If you don't notice a reminder message (for instance because you
> are away from your computer for hours), the reminder goes away and you
> never see it. appt might ask for a confirmation.
>
>    How can you go from the appointment reminder to the org file which
> describes it?

My setup sets up reminders for today only.  The run-at-time line
refreshes the appointments tomorrow if I leave Emacs running overnight.

The appointments (for me) are all viewable on the agenda.  Anything with
a time that shows up in the agenda for today sets an appointment alarm.
The first thing I do when returning to Emacs is check the agenda for
today - that's just a habit I have.  I don't normally have more than 1
or 2 appointments in a day and most days have no appointments.  I sit in
front of Emacs all day though and the beep reminder from the appointment
works great for me.

Other people have setups that pop-up a window when the appointment alarm
occurs - you can find details by searching the list archives.

>    Maybe it's 23:00 h and you have one appointment not for today, but
> for tomorrow; but appt shows you only the ones for today. How do you
> make it show just „the next one"?

The appointments from org-mode are in the agenda.  If you look at the
week agenda (C-c C-a a w) and have it set up to you always display today
forward the appointment is pretty obvious.

The setup for that is

 (setq org-agenda-start-on-weekday nil)

>    In fact, how can you see the next appointments? (Even if they are
> for next week)

Appointments are just for today.  I'd look ahead at my agenda for
scheduled items.  Repeated scheduled items show up on each day in the
agenda.

>    How can you make that appt checks your agenda every N hours?

As long as emacs is running the appointment list is active.  Each time I
change the agenda it refreshes the appointments for me.

>    appt displays the reminder at the modeline. What happens if, just
> after the message, you receive other messages? The reminder can also
> get lost.

It displays the appointment multiple times (and beeps) for me.  At 12
min, 9 min, 6 min, 3 min, and 0 min.  The modeline has the pending
appointment (App't in 4 min) during this entire period.

>    Do you find appt complete and nice to use? If so, how did you improve it?
>    Are there better methods?

It works great for me.  It's not "in-my-face" so that it disrupts
whatever I'm doing.  The beep, message, and modeline is enough of a
reminder and I just go to the org-entry from the agenda.

HTH,

Bernt