* removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-12 17:42 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-12 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

sorry, another question whose answer I'm having trouble finding in the
manual: is it possible to remove the text "Figure X: " from a caption
defined with

#+CAPTION:

? I'm just doing lecture slides, and the images are merely
illustrative, labelling them "Figure 1" is a bit grandiose.  Thanks
again!

* Re: removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-12 18:18 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-09-12 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> sorry, another question whose answer I'm having trouble finding in the
> manual: is it possible to remove the text "Figure X: " from a caption
> defined with
>
> #+CAPTION:
>
> ? I'm just doing lecture slides, and the images are merely
> illustrative, labelling them "Figure 1" is a bit grandiose.  Thanks
> again!

Depending on the output format that should be possible.  If LaTeX it
should be enough to set some variable defining the label name and
disable the counter.

If HTML you could probably do it with a filter removing "[Ff]igure
[1-9]+".

–Rasmus

--
Got mashed potatoes. Ain't got no T-Bone. No T-Bone

* Re: removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-12 20:15 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-09-12 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> sorry, another question whose answer I'm having trouble finding in the
> manual: is it possible to remove the text "Figure X: " from a caption
> defined with
>
> #+CAPTION:
>
> ? I'm just doing lecture slides, and the images are merely
> illustrative, labelling them "Figure 1" is a bit grandiose.  Thanks
> again!

I guess you are exporting to Beamer?  If so, the easiest way would be to
redefine caption to something else.  The following seems to work but I'm
sure there are prettier ways of doing this:

#+startup: beamer
#+latex_header: \newcommand{\mycaption}[1]{\newline \hfill #1 \hfill \newline} \let\caption\mycaption

* the slide
#+caption: This is some very catchy caption
#+attr_LaTeX: :width 0.5\textwidth
[[file:~/test/myfig.jpg]]

hope this helps,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.0.6-341-g338603

* Re: removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-13 14:44   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-13 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price, Org Mode

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> sorry, another question whose answer I'm having trouble finding in the
>> manual: is it possible to remove the text "Figure X: " from a caption
>> defined with
>>
>> #+CAPTION:
>>
>> ? I'm just doing lecture slides, and the images are merely
>> illustrative, labelling them "Figure 1" is a bit grandiose.  Thanks
>> again!
>
> I guess you are exporting to Beamer?  If so, the easiest way would be to
> redefine caption to something else.  The following seems to work but I'm
> sure there are prettier ways of doing this:

> #+startup: beamer
> #+latex_header: \newcommand{\mycaption}[1]{\newline \hfill #1 \hfill \newline} \let\caption\mycaption
>
> * the slide
> #+caption: This is some very catchy caption
> #+attr_LaTeX: :width 0.5\textwidth
> [[file:~/test/myfig.jpg]]
>
> hope this helps,
> eric

Unfortunatey, I'm exporting to HTML (deck.js) not Beamer.  I guess I
still on't understand how to use beamer -- I tried it just now and it
seemed to produce a very plain pdf, not a slideshow at all.  sigh.

* Re: removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-13 14:50   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: Org Mode

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> sorry, another question whose answer I'm having trouble finding in the
>> manual: is it possible to remove the text "Figure X: " from a caption
>> defined with
>>
>> #+CAPTION:
>>
>> ? I'm just doing lecture slides, and the images are merely
>> illustrative, labelling them "Figure 1" is a bit grandiose.  Thanks
>> again!
>
> Depending on the output format that should be possible.  If LaTeX it
> should be enough to set some variable defining the label name and
> disable the counter.
>
> If HTML you could probably do it with a filter removing "[Ff]igure
> [1-9]+".

I'm not finding an org-export-filter-caption-function, and captions
aren't listed as a valid element type in section 12.13 of the manual.
I can just use CSS to hide the figure-number span that org generates,
but that seems a little clumsy (also interferes a bit with my pristine
install of deck.js... ).

Thanks,
Matt

@ 2013-09-13 15:24     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-09-13 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode, Rasmus

Hello,

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not finding an org-export-filter-caption-function, and captions
> aren't listed as a valid element type in section 12.13 of the manual.
> I can just use CSS to hide the figure-number span that org generates,
> but that seems a little clumsy (also interferes a bit with my pristine
> install of deck.js... ).

Caption is attached to an image, which is a link in Org. So correct
filter is `org-export-filter-link-functions'.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-14 14:28     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-09-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
> Unfortunatey, I'm exporting to HTML (deck.js) not Beamer.  I guess I
> still on't understand how to use beamer -- I tried it just now and it
> seemed to produce a very plain pdf, not a slideshow at all.  sigh.

It may or may not have worked.  I cannot tell from your comment.  It
depends on what you mean by "plain PDF" and "slideshow".

Beamer is a document style and a collection of macros for LaTeX.  The
output of LaTeX will be a PDF file typically.  For a beamer document,
the PDF output is a set of pages where each page corresponds to a single
"slide".  The slide show is the sequence of these PDF pages.  Whether
this corresponds to your meaning of a slide show, I cannot tell.

I hope that makes some sort of sense...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.1.1-17-gf76e8c

* Re: removing "Figure x" from a caption
@ 2013-09-15 13:02       ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2013-09-15 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price, Org Mode

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>> Unfortunatey, I'm exporting to HTML (deck.js) not Beamer.  I guess I
>> still on't understand how to use beamer -- I tried it just now and it
>> seemed to produce a very plain pdf, not a slideshow at all.  sigh.
>
> It may or may not have worked.  I cannot tell from your comment.  It
> depends on what you mean by "plain PDF" and "slideshow".
>
> Beamer is a document style and a collection of macros for LaTeX.  The
> output of LaTeX will be a PDF file typically.  For a beamer document,
> the PDF output is a set of pages where each page corresponds to a single
> "slide".  The slide show is the sequence of these PDF pages.  Whether
> this corresponds to your meaning of a slide show, I cannot tell.
>
> I hope that makes some sort of sense...

Yes, it does make sense, thank you Eric.  The PDF document produced
was not a one-heading-per-page slideshow, but a more ordinary PDF with
continuous flow from page to page.  I have no doubt there are numerous
errors in my setup -- I don't use LaTex at all so I haven't realy
investigated what woud be necesary to fix them.

Thanks!
Matt