* Default silent results
@ 2017-03-13 15:30 Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2017-03-13 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Greetings.

An old org-code of mine stopped working, and while trying to fix it I
bumped into the following. What am I missing here?

Jarmo

* test
  A simple code block.
  #+name: org-block
  #+BEGIN_SRC org
  | foo | bar |
  |-----+-----|
  |   1 |   2 |
  #+END_SRC

  A silent call produces no results as expected.
  #+call: org-block() :results silent

  This produces results as expected.
  #+call: org-block() :results replace

  #+RESULTS:
  | foo | bar |
  |-----+-----|
  |   1 |   2 |

  But this also behaves like silent, while the manual says that the
  default is "replace."
  #+call: org-block()

* Re: Default silent results
@ 2017-03-13 15:39 ` Jérémie Juste
From: Jérémie Juste @ 2017-03-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarmo Hurri; +Cc: emacs-org list

Hello

you can tweek the default behaviour  using
org-babel-default-header-args:org variable

My default configuration for org is the following. I did not modify it.

org-babel-default-header-args:org is a variable defined in ‘ob-org.el’.
Its value is ((:results . "raw silent") (:exports . "code"))

Best regards

Jeremie

--
Jérémie Juste

* Re: Default silent results
@ 2017-03-13 15:46   ` Jarmo Hurri
From: Jarmo Hurri @ 2017-03-13 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jérémie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:

Greetings.

> you can tweek the default behaviour using
> org-babel-default-header-args:org variable
>
> My default configuration for org is the following. I did not modify
> it.
>
> org-babel-default-header-args:org is a variable defined in ‘ob-org.el’.
> Its value is ((:results . "raw silent") (:exports . "code"))

So the default value is really language dependent, not always "replace"
as the manual suggested. Ok, that explains it. Thanks!

Jarmo

* Re: Default silent results
@ 2017-03-13 17:29     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2017-03-13 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jarmo Hurri <jarmo.hurri@iki.fi> writes:

> Jérémie Juste <jeremiejuste@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Greetings.
>
>> you can tweek the default behaviour using
>> org-babel-default-header-args:org variable
>>
>> My default configuration for org is the following. I did not modify
>> it.
>>
>> org-babel-default-header-args:org is a variable defined in ‘ob-org.el’.
>> Its value is ((:results . "raw silent") (:exports . "code"))
>
> So the default value is really language dependent, not always "replace"
> as the manual suggested. Ok, that explains it. Thanks!

I wonder if that's intended behavior though: what's the reason for org
blocks to have non-default behavior?

Most languages set org-babel-default-header-args:<LANG> to '(),
although some do non-trivial stuff (abc, asymptote, ditaa, dot,
gnuplot, mscgen, plantuml all set :results to file e.g.), but it's not
clear to me why org sets it to "raw silent".

--
Nick