From: Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org-mode and taskpaper
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:55:20 +0200	[thread overview]

"Egli Christian (KIRO 433)" <christian.egli@credit-suisse.com> writes:

> Hm, reading all the answers to this aprils fools gets me a bit
> worried.  Nobody seems to see the joke and everybody seems to agree
> that org-mode is too bloated.

:)

I know TaskPaper for quite a long time.  A Mac-friend of mine sent me
the link because he knew I was hooked to Org.  And then we started to
discuss about TaskPaper/Org.  Not really a flame war -- but still.

The interesting thing is that this chat inevitably took the road to the
nano/Emacs topic (yes, hot.)  He thinks Emacs is wrong because its UI
doesn't let newcomers to save a file.  I think Emacs is Emacs and people
coming to it do not only want to try another editor, they want Emacs.
He thinks that whatever people want, Emacs is just a failure in terms of
design.  I think people not using Emacs shouldn't feel so strong about
telling it's crap.  Especially those using nano :)

Etc. Etc.

While thinking back about this discussion drift from the TaskPaper/Org
topic to the nano/Emacs one, here's what come to my mind: what would be
Emacs without its tutorial?  A closed door.

So I believe this would be a *huge* benefit for Org to have its own
tutorial.  Because yes, beginners might be frightened by the size of
the manual, by the simple act of asking something on this list, or by
spending time looking for the right information on Org websites.

> The good thing is that all those features do not get in your way and
> you can start using org-mode as a simple outliner and gradualy move up
> to use it for task management, notes taking, website publishing, etc
> to finally reach eternal bliss when your entire live is one with
> org-mode.

Exactly.  And this would be even more true with a simple, stable
tutorial in Org!

--
Bastien