* Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-22 13:56 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2017-03-22 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode

Hi everybody

Since some months ago the body of inline notes is no longer
automatically aligned correctly. This is what is expected:

*********************** Header
                        - cursor goes here
*********************** END

This is what happens instead:

*********************** Header
- cursor goes here
*********************** END

If I align the text body manually with whitespaces, is gets correctly
aligned for further text or list items produced with M-RET. But this is
annoying.

I don't know if I changed any configuration or if it came with an
update. Until half a year ago, the cursor was correctly placed below the
header immediately after producing an inline note with C-c C-x t.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sven

* Re: Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-22 14:15 ` Nicolas Goaziou
       [not found]   ` <d4e88fea49414ceba1fe2f07b1038923@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-03-22 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: Emacs orgmode

Hello,

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@ntnu.no> writes:

> Since some months ago the body of inline notes is no longer
> automatically aligned correctly. This is what is expected:
>
> *********************** Header
>                         - cursor goes here
> *********************** END
>
> This is what happens instead:
>
> *********************** Header
> - cursor goes here
> *********************** END
>
> If I align the text body manually with whitespaces, is gets correctly
> aligned for further text or list items produced with M-RET. But this is
> annoying.
>
> I don't know if I changed any configuration or if it came with an
> update. Until half a year ago, the cursor was correctly placed below the
> header immediately after producing an inline note with C-c C-x t.
>
> Any ideas?

I changed the indentation rule a while ago (could be years), so it is
aligned "correctly" albeit differently. IIRC the main motivations were :
too much wasted space on the left, and a slower "org-indent.el".

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-22 15:08   ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]   ` <d4e88fea49414ceba1fe2f07b1038923@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2017-03-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou writes:

> Hello,
>
> Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@ntnu.no> writes:
>
>> Since some months ago the body of inline notes is no longer
>> automatically aligned correctly. This is what is expected:
>>
>> *********************** Header
>>                         - cursor goes here
>> *********************** END
>>
>> This is what happens instead:
>>
>> *********************** Header
>> - cursor goes here
>> *********************** END
>>
> I changed the indentation rule a while ago (could be years), so it is
> aligned "correctly" albeit differently. IIRC the main motivations were :
> too much wasted space on the left, and a slower "org-indent.el".

Ah, ok I see. Thank you for the reply. Is there any easy way to return
to the old rules? With a wide-screen monitor and Emacs permanently in
fullscreen I don't care about waste of left space.

Cheers,

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies

* Re: Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-22 15:55     ` George Kettleborough
       [not found]       ` <4ef0a7d295ad44f394c5465bc7f8ee37@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: George Kettleborough @ 2017-03-22 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 22/03/17 15:08, Sven Bretfeld wrote:
> Ah, ok I see. Thank you for the reply. Is there any easy way to return
> to the old rules? With a wide-screen monitor and Emacs permanently in
> fullscreen I don't care about waste of left space.

Have you considered using org-indent-mode? I used to encode the
indentation in my files too before I discovered that indent mode which
lets you easily switch the indentation on and off for the entire buffer
and is just generally easier to use (imo).

George.

@ 2017-03-22 16:45     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2017-03-22 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wednesday, 22 Mar 2017 at 15:08, Sven Bretfeld wrote:

[...]

> Ah, ok I see. Thank you for the reply. Is there any easy way to return
> to the old rules? With a wide-screen monitor and Emacs permanently in
> fullscreen I don't care about waste of left space.

Slightly OT but wasted space is still potentially a waste.

Initially, I didn't like these wide screen monitors as it seemed that I
was wasting a lot of space (and, yes, it doesn't then matter if space is
consumed by indentation).  However, I have since rediscovered
*follow-mode* which allows for a single buffer to flow across two
side-by-side windows.  Excellent for long documents/codes!

Just thought I'd point this feature out as there is always something to
learn in emacs!  Even after >30 years...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.5-363-gc41c2b

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-23  6:12       ` Adam Porter
From: Adam Porter @ 2017-03-23  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> However, I have since rediscovered *follow-mode* which allows for a
> single buffer to flow across two side-by-side windows.  Excellent for
> long documents/codes!

Thanks for sharing that!

> Just thought I'd point this feature out as there is always something
> to learn in emacs!  Even after >30 years...

How true.  :)

* Re: Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-23  8:48     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-03-23  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: Emacs orgmode

Hello,

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@ntnu.no> writes:

> Ah, ok I see. Thank you for the reply. Is there any easy way to return
> to the old rules?

I don't think so. You can, however, advise `org-indent-line' or set
a different `indent-line-function' in Org buffers.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Inline notes and alignment
@ 2017-03-24  9:53       ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]       ` <4ef0a7d295ad44f394c5465bc7f8ee37@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2017-03-24  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

George Kettleborough writes:

> Have you considered using org-indent-mode? I used to encode the
> indentation in my files too before I discovered that indent mode which
> lets you easily switch the indentation on and off for the entire buffer
> and is just generally easier to use (imo).

That's a pretty good idea. I will try org-indent-mode. Wasn't aware of
it. Thank you, everybody.

Sven

--

@ 2017-03-24 10:09         ` Eric S Fraga