* [BUG] org-element--cache: unregistered buffer modifications warning when using org-toggle-heading and org-toggle-item on lines beginning with capital letters [9.6 (9.6-??-d4e1925 @ /home/pete/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-27.1/org/)]
@ 2021-11-27 23:00 Peter Williams
From: Peter Williams @ 2021-11-27 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This is my first time sending mail to the list so let me know if I
breach any convention.

I seem to be one of many people who have been having issues with
org-element--cache recently. I have been getting the messages quite
regularly in many different cases, but I finally pinpointed one of the
apparent causes: running org-toggle-heading, org-toggle-item, and
probably other org functions that modify the structure of the org document
on a line beginning with a capital letter from a language (not special
font/mathematical characters, but not limited to the Latin alphabet).

I expected to run org-toggle-heading, the line to be converted into a
heading, and no error messages to be thrown.

While the line was properly toggled into a heading, there was a cache
warning that said the following:

Warning (emacs): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications
detected. Resetting.
If this warning appears regularly, please report it to Org mode mailing
list (M-x org-submit-bug-report).
The buffer is: cachebug.org
 Current command: nil
 Backtrace:
"  backtrace-to-string(nil)
  org-element--cache-sync(#<buffer cachebug.org>)
  apply(org-element--cache-sync #<buffer cachebug.org>)
  timer-event-handler([t 0 0 599999 nil org-element--cache-sync (#<buffer
cachebug.org>) idle 999999])
"
Here are the contents of the buffer showing the things I tested.

# Cause the Warning
S2
X こ
T 漢字
# No Problems (= R= is single use)
/
s S
nA
漢字
2S
_W
/W
こ
2
@
_

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 27.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2020-09-19
Package: Org mode version 9.6 (9.6-??-d4e1925 @
/home/pete/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-27.1/org/)

current state:
I deleted all settings with no mention of 'cache' because my email client
seemed to be having issues with the length of my message.
==============
(setq
 org-persist-before-write-hook '(org-element--cache-persist-before-write)
 org-persist-before-read-hook '(org-element--cache-persist-before-read)
 org-persist-after-read-hook '(org-element--cache-persist-after-read)
 )

* Re: [BUG] org-element--cache: unregistered buffer modifications warning when using org-toggle-heading and org-toggle-item on lines beginning with capital letters [9.6 (9.6-??-d4e1925 @ /home/pete/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-27.1/org/)]
  2021-11-27 23:00 [BUG] org-element--cache: unregistered buffer modifications warning when using org-toggle-heading and org-toggle-item on lines beginning with capital letters [9.6 (9.6-??-d4e1925 @ /home/pete/.emacs.d/.local/straight/build-27.1/org/)] Peter Williams
@ 2021-11-28 10:27 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2021-11-28 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Williams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Peter Williams <williamspete001@gmail.com> writes:

> This is my first time sending mail to the list so let me know if I
> breach any convention.
> # Cause the Warning
> S R Ξ A S2 X こ T 漢字 Д Ԋ 𐲱 Ѷ
> # No Problems (= R= is single use)
> 𝞡 ℤ / s S R nA 漢字 2S _W /W s こ 2 @ _

Welcome and thank you very much for the detailed report. It's really
thorough :)

> I seem to be one of many people who have been having issues with
> org-element--cache recently. I have been getting the messages quite
> regularly in many different cases, but I finally pinpointed one of the
> apparent causes: running org-toggle-heading, org-toggle-item, and
> probably other org functions that modify the structure of the org document
> on a line beginning with a capital letter from a language (not special
> font/mathematical characters, but not limited to the Latin alphabet).

This has been fixed in faf8ce7de. Can you update to latest main and let
us know if you are still seeing the problem?

Best,
Ihor