* Is there an alternate means of defining categories?
@ 2008-03-26 22:22 subopt
From: subopt @ 2008-03-26 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm looking for a way to define categories, aside from using the
'#+CATEGORY: Whatever' method. I'd like to keep all the comments and
other visual clutter out of the actual data portions of my
files. Using the 'odd' and 'hide leading stars' has helped a lot. If i
could just move the category definitions elsewhere, and still have
multiple categores per file, then i'd be free and clear of all my line
noise.

tia,
Eric

--
Eric Holbrook [e]eholbrook@austin.rr.com [m]512/657-0043 [h]512/733-1690

* Re: Is there an alternate means of defining categories?
@ 2008-03-26 23:12 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-03-26 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: subopt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

subopt@gmail.com writes:

> I'm looking for a way to define categories, aside from using the
> '#+CATEGORY: Whatever' method. I'd like to keep all the comments and
> other visual clutter out of the actual data portions of my
> files. Using the 'odd' and 'hide leading stars' has helped a lot. If i
> could just move the category definitions elsewhere, and still have
> multiple categores per file, then i'd be free and clear of all my line
> noise.

I don't use #+CATEGORY: anymore.  I use properties.  I define the top
level task with a specific category and all subtasks inherit the same
property (and therefore are in the same category unless otherwise
specified)

The following are from my todo.org file:

* Tasks                                                                :newtask:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Tasks
  :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::* Miscellaneous
  :END:
* Anniversaries and Holidays                                       :notaproject:
*** Birthdays
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Birthday
  :END:
* Appointments                                                     :notaproject:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Appt
  :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::* Appointments
  :END:
* Basement                                      :@home:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Basement
  :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Basement
  :END:
* Health                                        :@home:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :CATEGORY: Health
  :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Health
  :END:

The :PROPERTIES:...:END: is normally folded and is not exported (if you
export your org files)

HTH,
Bernt