* Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
@ 2013-05-25 18:17 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-05-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

I know that compiling  org under Xemacs is delicate. I succeeded with
7.8.3 but it seems that the installation process has changed quite a
      bit.

I edit the relevant

default.mk
file (OK I should not do that but create local.mk)

EMACS=/usr/local/bin/xemacs
BATCH = $(EMACS) -batch -vanilla # Xemacs

Now when running make  the following problems showed up:

    - in almost all files the message:
      Symbol's value as variable
      is void: org-babel-temp-file

      Popped up

    -  in org-footnote
** The following functions are not known to be defined:
    org-in-commented-line, org-in-indented-comment-line,
    org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p, org-in-verbatim-emphasis,
    org-in-block-p, org-in-regexp, org-inside-latex-macro-p, org-trim,
    org-mark-ring-push, org-show-context, org-id-uuid,
    org-icompleting-read, org-back-over-empty-lines,
    org-fill-paragraph, org-end-of-subtree, outline-next-heading

    -  org-list has similar complains, which I don't want to
       mention here

    -  org.el itself: ! error (("Unknown keyword" :package-version))

    -  ox-odt.el:
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "table"))
     Error occurred processing
     /home/oub/ALLES/xemacs/site-lisp/packages/org-8.0.3/lisp/ox-odt.el:
     Cannot open load file: "table"
     which is odd, since I have a (require 'table) in my edit file.

Did anybody sucessfully compile the latest org version under
Xemacs 21.5.X?

Uwe Brauer

* Re: Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
@ 2013-05-26 17:17 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-26 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:
> I know that compiling  org under Xemacs is delicate. I succeeded with
> 7.8.3 but it seems that the installation process has changed quite a
>       bit.

No, not really.

> I edit the relevant
>
> default.mk
> file (OK I should not do that but create local.mk)
>
> EMACS=/usr/local/bin/xemacs
> BATCH = $(EMACS) -batch -vanilla # Xemacs

Yes, you should not do this.  A configuration file for XEmacs is here:
http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-4

> Now when running make  the following problems showed up:

You're not using the sources you think you are using.

> Did anybody sucessfully compile the latest org version under
> Xemacs 21.5.X?

No, despite repeated calls for help no feedback from actual XEmacs users
was registered and at some point I've stopped bugging Bastien about the
incompatibilities introduced.  There are at least a handful of functions
that'd need compatibility macros /defuns on XEmacs and I don't know what
turns up when these are out of the way, but the results were sketchy
already on 7.x whenever I tried.  Your best bet is running uncompiled
(which probably still needs compatibility definitions).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
@ 2013-05-30 20:33   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-05-30 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Achim Gratz

>> "Achim" ==Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer writes:
   >> I know that compiling  org under Xemacs is delicate. I succeeded with
   >> 7.8.3 but it seems that the installation process has changed quite a
   >> bit.

   > No, not really.
Ok, good
   >> I edit the relevant
   >>
   >> default.mk
   >> file (OK I should not do that but create local.mk)
   >>
   >> EMACS=/usr/local/bin/xemacs
   >> BATCH = $(EMACS) -batch -vanilla # Xemacs

   > Yes, you should not do this.  A configuration file for XEmacs is here:
   > http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html#sec-4-1-4

Thanks!

   >> Now when running make  the following problems showed up:

   > You're not using the sources you think you are using.

That was a little my feeling.

   >> Did anybody sucessfully compile the latest org version under
   >> Xemacs 21.5.X?

   > No, despite repeated calls for help no feedback from actual XEmacs users
   > was registered and at some point I've stopped bugging Bastien about the
   > incompatibilities introduced.  There are at least a handful of functions
   > that'd need compatibility macros /defuns on XEmacs and I don't know what
   > turns up when these are out of the way, but the results were sketchy
   > already on 7.x whenever I tried.  Your best bet is running uncompiled
   > (which probably still needs compatibility definitions).

You are right, this is a sad fact but true. The only person who cared,
and knows enough Lisp is Michael Sperber, who right now is very busy.

Actually I am right now very busy my self, but maybe in the next days I
give it another try, now that you sent me this information!

Thanks and regards

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
@ 2013-05-31 19:15     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-31 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:
> You are right, this is a sad fact but true. The only person who cared,
> and knows enough Lisp is Michael Sperber, who right now is very busy.
>
> Actually I am right now very busy my self, but maybe in the next days I
> give it another try, now that you sent me this information!

I'll mention again that it would be really helpful to get ert running on
XEmacs.  I've managed to get it to the point where it loads, but then
infloops off its stack, presumably due to the heavy use of macros in
ert.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
@ 2013-06-01  9:37     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-06-01  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Uwe Brauer writes:
>> There are at least a handful of functions
>> that'd need compatibility macros /defuns on XEmacs and I don't know what
>> turns up when these are out of the way, but the results were sketchy
>> already on 7.x whenever I tried.  Your best bet is running uncompiled
>> (which probably still needs compatibility definitions).
>
> You are right, this is a sad fact but true. The only person who cared,
> and knows enough Lisp is Michael Sperber, who right now is very busy.

I've fixed all the errors on master, so Org does compile again on
XEmacs.  I have no idea if it works, there are still many warnings, some
obviously harmless and others probaly not.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Xemacs 21.5.32 and org-8.03, compilation problems
@ 2013-06-02  8:39       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-06-02  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode