* profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-21 21:06 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2022-02-21 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I'm trying to figure out what causes high latency while typing in large
org-mode files.  The issue is very clearly a result of my large config
file, but I'm not sure how to track it down with any precision.

My main literate config file is ~/.emacs.d/emacs-init.org, currently 15000
lines, 260 src blocks.
If I create a ~minimal.el~ config like this:

(let* ((all-paths
          '("/home/matt/src/org-mode/emacs/site-lisp/org")))
    (dolist (p all-paths)
      (add-to-list 'load-path p)))

  (require 'org)
  (find-file "~/.emacs.d/emacs-init.org")

then I do not notice any latency while typing.  If I run the profiler while
using the minimal config, the profile looks about like this at a high
level:

        1397  71% - command-execute
         740  37%  - funcall-interactively
         718  36%   - org-self-insert-command
         686  34%    + org-element--cache-after-change
          10   0%    + org-fold-core--fix-folded-region
           3   0%    + blink-paren-post-self-insert-function
           2   0%    + jit-lock-after-change
           1   0%      org-fold-check-before-invisible-edit--text-properties
           9   0%   + previous-line
           6   0%   + minibuffer-complete
           3   0%   + org-return
           3   0%   + execute-extended-command
         657  33%  - byte-code
         657  33%   - read-extended-command
          64   3%    - completing-read-default
          14   0%     + redisplay_internal (C function)
           1   0%     + timer-event-handler
         371  18% - redisplay_internal (C function)
         251  12%  + jit-lock-function
          90   4%  + assq
           7   0%  + substitute-command-keys
           3   0%  + eval
         125   6% + timer-event-handler
          69   3% + ...

--------------------------
However, if I instead use my fairly extensive main config, latency is high
enough that there's a noticeable delay while typing ordinary words. I see
this  regardless of whether I build from main or from Ihor's org-fold
feature branch on github. The profiler overview here is pretty different --
redisplay_internal takes a much higher percentage of the CPU requirement:

         3170  56% - redisplay_internal (C function)
         693  12%  - substitute-command-keys
         417   7%   + #<compiled -0x1c8b98a4b03336f3>
          59   1%  + assq
          49   0%  + org-in-subtree-not-table-p
          36   0%  + tab-bar-make-keymap
          35   0%    and
          24   0%  + not
          16   0%    org-at-table-p
          13   0%  + jit-lock-function
           8   0%    keymap-canonicalize
           7   0%  + #<compiled 0x74a551771c7fdf1>
           4   0%  + funcall
           4   0%    display-graphic-p
           3   0%  + #<compiled 0xe5940664f7881ee>
           3   0%    file-readable-p
           3   0%  + table--probe-cell
           3   0%    table--row-column-insertion-point-p
        1486  26% - command-execute
        1200  21%  - byte-code
        1200  21%   - read-extended-command
        1200  21%    - completing-read-default
        1200  21%     - apply
        1200  21%      - vertico--advice
         475   8%       + #<subr completing-read-default>

----------------------
I've almost never used the profiler and am not quite sure how I should
proceed to debug this.  I realize I can comment out parts of the config one
at a time, but that is not so easy for me to do in my current setup, and I
suppose there are likely to be multiple contributing causes, which I may
not really notice except in the aggregate.

If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them!

Thanks,

Matt

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-21 22:22 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-02-21 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

i have been dealing with latency also, often in undo-tree.  this might
be a dumb suggestion, but is it related to org file size?  my files
have not really grown /that/ much but maybe you could bisect one.  as
opposed to config.

i am not saying that your org files are too big.  just that maybe it
could lead to insights.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-22  5:30 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-22  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> However, if I instead use my fairly extensive main config, latency is high
> enough that there's a noticeable delay while typing ordinary words. I see
> this  regardless of whether I build from main or from Ihor's org-fold
> feature branch on github. The profiler overview here is pretty different --
> redisplay_internal takes a much higher percentage of the CPU requirement:
>
>          3170  56% - redisplay_internal (C function)
>         1200  21%    - completing-read-default
>         1200  21%     - apply
>         1200  21%      - vertico--advice
>          475   8%       + #<subr completing-read-default>

Judging from the profiler report, you did not collect enough number of
CPU samples. I recommend to keep the profiler running for at least 10-30
seconds when trying to profile typing latency. Also, note that running
M-x profiler-report second time will _not_ reproduce the previous
report, but instead show CPU profiler report between the last invocation
of profiler-report and the second one. I recommend to do the following:
1. M-x profiler-stop
2. M-x profiler-start
3. Do typing in the problematic Org file for 10-30 seconds
4. M-x profiler-report (once!)
5. Share the report here

> I've almost never used the profiler and am not quite sure how I should
> proceed to debug this.  I realize I can comment out parts of the config one
> at a time, but that is not so easy for me to do in my current setup, and I
> suppose there are likely to be multiple contributing causes, which I may
> not really notice except in the aggregate.

The above steps should be the first thing to try and they will likely
reveal the bottleneck. If not, you can go back to genetic bisection. I
do not recommend manual commenting/uncommenting parts of you large
config. Instead, you can try
https://github.com/Malabarba/elisp-bug-hunter. But only if CPU profiling
does not reveal anything useful.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-22  5:33   ` Ihor Radchenko
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-22  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode

> i have been dealing with latency also, often in undo-tree.  this might
> be a dumb suggestion, but is it related to org file size?  my files
> have not really grown /that/ much but maybe you could bisect one.  as
> opposed to config.

I am wondering if many people in the list experience latency issues.
Maybe we can organise an online meeting (jitsi or BBB) and collect the
common causes/ do online interactive debugging?

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-22  5:44     ` Kaushal Modi
       [not found]       ` <CAN_Dec8kW5hQoa0xr7sszafYJJNmGipX0DA94DKNh11DWjce8g@mail.gmail.com>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2022-02-22  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org Mode

On Tue, Feb 22, 2022, 12:34 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if many people in the list experience latency issues.
> Maybe we can organise an online meeting (jitsi or BBB) and collect the
> common causes/ do online interactive debugging?

+1

I have seen few people see this issue on the ox-hugo issue tracker:
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/discussions/551#discussioncomment-2104352

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-22 21:11     ` Rudolf Adamkovič
  2022-02-23 12:37       ` Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)) Ihor Radchenko
From: Rudolf Adamkovič @ 2022-02-22 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko, Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i have been dealing with latency also, often in undo-tree.  this might
>> be a dumb suggestion, but is it related to org file size?  my files
>> have not really grown /that/ much but maybe you could bisect one.  as
>> opposed to config.
>
> I am wondering if many people in the list experience latency issues.

FYI: I experience high latency when typing near in-text citations, such
as [cite:@ganz+2013].  It got so bad that I converted all my files to
hard-wrapped lines.  After I did that, the Org mode became usable again,
but it still lags visibly when typing near a citation.

Rudy
--
"'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and
if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't.  That's logic.'"

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> [he/him]
Studenohorská 25
84103 Bratislava
Slovakia

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-23  2:39   ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2022-02-23  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode

Yes, it definitely seems to be related tofile size, which makes me think
that some kind of buffer parsing is the cause of the problem. I'll replay
in more detail to Ihor, down below!

@ 2022-02-23  2:41         ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2022-02-23  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

sorry everyone, I accidentally sent this to Kaushal this morning,  and then
took quite a while to get back to a computer after he let me know my
mistake!

@ 2022-02-23  5:22           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-23  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

>>        20128  80% - redisplay_internal (C function)
>>         7142  28%  - assq
>>          908   3%   - org-context

Note that org-context is an obsolete function. Do you directly call it
in your config? Or do you use a third-party package calling org-context?

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-23  5:25     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-23  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, it definitely seems to be related tofile size, which makes me think
> that some kind of buffer parsing is the cause of the problem.

Parsing would show up in the profiler report in such scenario. It is not
the case though. The problem might be invisible text (it would cause
redisplay become slow), but 15k lines is relatively small - it should
not cause redisplay issues according to my experience. Just to be sure,
I would try to check performance in a completely unfolded buffer.

Best,
Ihor

@ 2022-02-23 12:37       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Org Mode, Kaushal Modi

Dear all,

Since there is at least a couple of people who might be interested, lets
try to meet online on jitsi and debug performance issues you experience
because of Org mode. Probably some time this Saturday (Feb 26). I am
thinking about 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm London). WDYT?

Participants should preferably install the latest Org version from main.
Older versions are also ok, but will be less of priority.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-23 14:47             ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2022-02-23 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org Mode

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 12:22 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >>        20128  80% - redisplay_internal (C function)
> >>         7142  28%  - assq
> >>          908   3%   - org-context
>
> Note that org-context is an obsolete function. Do you directly call it
> in your config? Or do you use a third-party package calling org-context?

Hmm.  I don't see it anywhere in my ~.emacs.d/elpa~ directory or in my
config file. I also went through ORG-NEWS and while it mentions that
org-context-p has been removed, I can't find a deprecation notice about
org-context.  I'm not quite sure what's going on. Will investigate further!

@ 2022-02-23 15:10               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: Org Mode

Matt Price <moptop99@gmail.com> writes:

>> Note that org-context is an obsolete function. Do you directly call it
>> in your config? Or do you use a third-party package calling org-context?
>>

> Hmm.  I don't see it anywhere in my ~.emacs.d/elpa~ directory or in my
> config file. I also went through ORG-NEWS and while it mentions that
> org-context-p has been removed, I can't find a deprecation notice about
> org-context.  I'm not quite sure what's going on. Will investigate further!

That notice itself is WIP :facepalm: Basically, org-context is not
reliable because is relies on fontification. See
https://orgmode.org/list/877depxyo9.fsf@localhost

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-23 16:03     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-02-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 22/02/2022 12:33, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> I am wondering if many people in the list experience latency issues.

Ihor, it is unlikely the feedback that you would like to get concerning
the following patch:

Ihor Radchenko. [PATCH 01/35] Add org-fold-core: new folding engine.
Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:37:53 +0800.
https://list.orgmode.org/74cd7fc06a4540b1d63d1e7f9f2542f83e1eaaae.1643454545.git.yantar92@gmail.com

but my question may be more appropriate in this thread. I noticed the
following:

> +;; the same purpose.  Overlays are implemented with O(n) complexity in
> +;; Emacs (as for 2021-03-11).  It means that any attempt to move
> +;; through hidden text in a file with many invisible overlays will
> +;; require time scaling with the number of folded regions (the problem
> +;; Overlays note of the manual warns about).  For curious, historical
> +;; reasons why overlays are not efficient can be found in
> +;; https://www.jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html.

The linked document consists of a lot of messages. Could you, please,
provide more specific location within the rather long page?

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-23 16:35       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> +;; the same purpose.  Overlays are implemented with O(n) complexity in
>> +;; Emacs (as for 2021-03-11).  It means that any attempt to move
>> +;; through hidden text in a file with many invisible overlays will
>> +;; require time scaling with the number of folded regions (the problem
>> +;; Overlays note of the manual warns about).  For curious, historical
>> +;; reasons why overlays are not efficient can be found in
>> +;; https://www.jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html.
>
> The linked document consists of a lot of messages. Could you, please,
> provide more specific location within the rather long page?

There is no specific location. That thread is an old drama unfolded when
intervals were first implemented by a third-party company (they were called
intervals that time). AFAIU, the fact that intervals are stored in a
list and suffer from O(N) complexity originates from that time. Just
history, as I pointed in the comment.

FYI, a more optimal overlay data structure implementation has been
attempted in feature/noverlay branch (for example, see
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=feature/noverlay&id=8d7bdfa3fca076b34aaf86548d3243bee11872ad).
But there is no activity on that branch for years.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature))
@ 2022-02-23 16:43         ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2022-02-23 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Org Mode, Rudolf Adamkovič

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 7:37 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Since there is at least a couple of people who might be interested, lets
> try to meet online on jitsi and debug performance issues you experience
> because of Org mode. Probably some time this Saturday (Feb 26). I am
> thinking about 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm London). WDYT?

That time will work for me. Thanks!

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-25 12:38         ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-02-25 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 23/02/2022 23:35, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>>> +;; the same purpose.  Overlays are implemented with O(n) complexity in
>>> +;; Emacs (as for 2021-03-11).  It means that any attempt to move
>>> +;; through hidden text in a file with many invisible overlays will
>>> +;; require time scaling with the number of folded regions (the problem
>>> +;; Overlays note of the manual warns about).  For curious, historical
>>> +;; reasons why overlays are not efficient can be found in
>>> +;; https://www.jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html.
>>
>> The linked document consists of a lot of messages. Could you, please,
>> provide more specific location within the rather long page?
>
> There is no specific location. That thread is an old drama unfolded when
> intervals were first implemented by a third-party company (they were called
> intervals that time). AFAIU, the fact that intervals are stored in a
> list and suffer from O(N) complexity originates from that time. Just
> history, as I pointed in the comment.

Thank you, Ihor. I am still not motivated enough to read whole page but
searching for "interval" (earlier I tried "overlay") resulted in the
following message:

Date: 	Tue, 23 Jun 92 05:17:33 -0400
From: 	rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)

describing tree balancing problem in GNU Emacs and linear search in lucid.

Unfortunately there is no "id" or "name" anchors in the file suitable to
specify precise location. Even the link href is broken.

Actually I suspect that markers may have a similar problem during regexp
searches. I am curious if it is possible to invoke a kind of "vacuum"
(in SQL parlance). Folding all headings and resetting refile cache does
not restore performance to the initial state at session startup. Maybe
it is effect of incremental searches.

Sorry, I have not tried patches for text properties instead of overlays.

@ 2022-02-25 14:30         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-25 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Org Mode, Kaushal Modi

> Dear all,
>
> Since there is at least a couple of people who might be interested, lets
> try to meet online on jitsi and debug performance issues you experience
> because of Org mode. Probably some time this Saturday (Feb 26). I am
> thinking about 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm London). WDYT?
>
> Participants should preferably install the latest Org version from main.
> Older versions are also ok, but will be less of priority.

I will post the link one hour before the meeting start.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-26  7:45           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Thank you, Ihor. I am still not motivated enough to read whole page but
> searching for "interval" (earlier I tried "overlay") resulted in the
> following message:

> Date: 	Tue, 23 Jun 92 05:17:33 -0400
> From: 	rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Richard Stallman)
>
> describing tree balancing problem in GNU Emacs and linear search in lucid.
>
> Unfortunately there is no "id" or "name" anchors in the file suitable to
> specify precise location. Even the link href is broken.

I think we have a misunderstanding here. That page does not contain much
of technical details. Rather a history. AFAIU, initially Emacs wanted to
implement balanced tree structure to store overlays, but the effort
stalled for a long time. Then, a company rolled out a simple list
storage causing a lot of contradiction related to FSF and a mojor Emacs
fork. At the end, the initial effort using balanced tree on GNU Emacs
side did not go anywhere and GNU Emacs eventually copied a simple list
approach that is backfiring now, when Org buffers actually do contain a
large numbers of overlays.

> Actually I suspect that markers may have a similar problem during regexp
> searches. I am curious if it is possible to invoke a kind of "vacuum"
> (in SQL parlance). Folding all headings and resetting refile cache does
> not restore performance to the initial state at session startup. Maybe
> it is effect of incremental searches.

I doubt that markers have anything to do with regexp search itself
(directly). They should only come into play when editing text in buffer,
where their performance is also O(N_markers).

@ 2022-02-26 12:04           ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-26 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Org Mode, Kaushal Modi

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Since there is at least a couple of people who might be interested, lets
>> try to meet online on jitsi and debug performance issues you experience
>> because of Org mode. Probably some time this Saturday (Feb 26). I am
>> thinking about 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm London). WDYT?
>>
>> Participants should preferably install the latest Org version from main.
>> Older versions are also ok, but will be less of priority.
>
> I will post the link one hour before the meeting start.

The link is https://meet.jit.si/Org-dev-profiling-20220226-d708k
Password: plaintext

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-26 12:45             ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-02-26 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 26/02/2022 14:45, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> I think we have a misunderstanding here. That page does not contain much
> of technical details. Rather a history.

Thank you for clarification. Certainly originally I had a hope to get
some explanation why it was not implemented in a more efficient way. At
first I read starting part of the text. It was still interesting to read
the story that due to delay of Emacs release people had to fork it into
Lucid. I did not know that XEmacs was a successor of Lucid.

> Max Nikulin writes:
>> Actually I suspect that markers may have a similar problem during regexp
>> searches. I am curious if it is possible to invoke a kind of "vacuum"
>> (in SQL parlance). Folding all headings and resetting refile cache does
>> not restore performance to the initial state at session startup. Maybe
>> it is effect of incremental searches.
>
> I doubt that markers have anything to do with regexp search itself
> (directly). They should only come into play when editing text in buffer,
> where their performance is also O(N_markers).

I believed, your confirmed my conclusion earlier:

Ihor Radchenko. Re: [BUG] org-goto slows down org-set-property.
Sun, 11 Jul 2021 19:49:08 +0800.
https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87lf6dul3f.fsf@localhost/

* Re: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature))
@ 2022-02-26 12:51             ` Ihor Radchenko
  2022-02-27  7:41               ` Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)) Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-26 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Org Mode, Kaushal Modi

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Since there is at least a couple of people who might be interested, lets
>>> try to meet online on jitsi and debug performance issues you experience
>>> because of Org mode. Probably some time this Saturday (Feb 26). I am
>>> thinking about 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm London). WDYT?
>>>
>>> Participants should preferably install the latest Org version from main.
>>> Older versions are also ok, but will be less of priority.
>>
>> I will post the link one hour before the meeting start.
>
> The link is https://meet.jit.si/Org-dev-profiling-20220226-d708k
> Password: plaintext

FYI, we got an issue with meet.jit.si. Moving the meeting to a different
server:

https://teamjoin.de/Org-dev-profiling-20220226-d708k

Sorry for the last-minute update.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-02-26 15:07     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-02-26 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko, Samuel Wales; +Cc: Org Mode

Open up XMPP group for Org mode, that Jabber chat is lightweight and accessible through Emacs jabber.el and plethora of other applications.

Don't forget to include Org links to XMPP groups.

On February 22, 2022 5:33:13 AM UTC, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
>Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i have been dealing with latency also, often in undo-tree.  this
>might
>> be a dumb suggestion, but is it related to org file size?  my files
>> have not really grown /that/ much but maybe you could bisect one.  as
>> opposed to config.
>
>I am wondering if many people in the list experience latency issues.
>Maybe we can organise an online meeting (jitsi or BBB) and collect the
>common causes/ do online interactive debugging?
>
>Best,
>Ihor

Jean

* Re: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature))
@ 2022-02-26 15:51               ` Quiliro Ordóñez
  2022-03-23 10:57                 ` #2 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Mar 26 (was: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature))) Ihor Radchenko
From: Quiliro Ordóñez @ 2022-02-26 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I am not sure if I am helpful.  But I am an org user.  I am not a
developer.  I would like to contribute any testing.  Currently I use
version 9.3.  I  do not want to install anything which is outside my
operating system distribution software versions (Hyperbola GNU 0.4).  I
am also unable to use microphone and camera with the web browser because
of security concerns by the distribution developers.  I have used ERC,
mailing lists, Tox and Mumble successfully with this distribution.  With
these caveats, please consider my contributions, if required.

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-02-27  6:43               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-27  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> Max Nikulin writes:
>>> Actually I suspect that markers may have a similar problem during regexp
>>> searches. I am curious if it is possible to invoke a kind of "vacuum"
>>> (in SQL parlance). Folding all headings and resetting refile cache does
>>> not restore performance to the initial state at session startup. Maybe
>>> it is effect of incremental searches.
>>
>> I doubt that markers have anything to do with regexp search itself
>> (directly). They should only come into play when editing text in buffer,
>> where their performance is also O(N_markers).
>
> I believed, your confirmed my conclusion earlier:
>
> Ihor Radchenko. Re: [BUG] org-goto slows down org-set-property.
> Sun, 11 Jul 2021 19:49:08 +0800.
> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/87lf6dul3f.fsf@localhost/

I confirmed that invoking org-refile-get-targets slows down your nm-tst
looping over the headlines.

However, the issue is not with outline-next-heading there. Profiling
shows that the slowdown mostly happens in org-get-property-block

I have looked into regexp search C source and I did not find anything
that could depend on the number markers in buffer.
After further analysis now (after your email), I found that I may be
wrong and regexp search might actually be affected.

Now, I did an extended profiling of what is happening using perf:

;; perf cpu with refile cache (using your previous code on my largest Org buffer)
    19.68%   [.] mark_object
     6.20%   [.] buf_bytepos_to_charpos
     5.66%   [.] re_match_2_internal
     5.33%   [.] exec_byte_code
     5.07%   [.] rpl_re_search_2
     3.09%   [.] Fmemq
     2.56%   [.] allocate_vectorlike
     1.86%   [.] sweep_vectors
     1.47%   [.] mark_objects
     1.45%   [.] pdumper_marked_p_impl

;; perf cpu without refile cache (removing getting refile targets from the code)
    18.79%   [.] mark_object
     8.23%   [.] re_match_2_internal
     5.88%   [.] rpl_re_search_2
     4.06%   [.] buf_bytepos_to_charpos
     3.06%   [.] Fmemq
     2.45%   [.] allocate_vectorlike
     1.63%   [.] exec_byte_code
     1.50%   [.] pdumper_marked_p_impl

The bottleneck appears to be buf_bytepos_to_charpos, called by
BYTE_TO_CHAR macro, which, in turn, is used by set_search_regs

buf_bytepos_to_charpos contains the following loop:

  for (tail = BUF_MARKERS (b); tail; tail = tail->next)
    {
      CONSIDER (tail->bytepos, tail->charpos);

      /* If we are down to a range of 50 chars,
	 don't bother checking any other markers;
	 scan the intervening chars directly now.  */
      if (best_above - bytepos < distance
          || bytepos - best_below < distance)
	break;
      else
        distance += BYTECHAR_DISTANCE_INCREMENT;
    }

I am not sure if I understand the code correctly, but that loop is
clearly scaling performance with the number of markers

Finally, FYI. I plan to work on an alternative mechanism to access Org
headings - generic Org query library. It will not use markers and
implement ideas from org-ql. org-refile will eventually use that generic
library instead of current mechanism.

@ 2022-02-27  7:41               ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-02-27  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rudolf Adamkovič; +Cc: Org Mode, Kaushal Modi

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I will post the link one hour before the meeting start.

Summary of the meeting:

1. Fairly long discussion about performance of text properties vs.
   overlays in Emacs

2. Debugging Emacs hangs during ox-hugo export (see also
https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/discussions/551#discussioncomment-2104352).
The problem appears to be not performance per se, but rather some bug
causing infinite loop in org-elment-cache-map. The problem is not
reproducible with my own config, so remote debugging will remain the
only good option. To be continued.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-03-02 12:23                 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-03-02 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 27/02/2022 13:43, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> Now, I did an extended profiling of what is happening using perf:
>
>       6.20%   [.] buf_bytepos_to_charpos

Maybe I am interpreting such results wrongly, but it does not look like
a bottleneck. Anyway thank you very much for such efforts, however it is
unlikely that I will join to profiling in near future.

> buf_bytepos_to_charpos contains the following loop:
>
>    for (tail = BUF_MARKERS (b); tail; tail = tail->next)
>      {
>        CONSIDER (tail->bytepos, tail->charpos);
>
>        /* If we are down to a range of 50 chars,
> 	 don't bother checking any other markers;
> 	 scan the intervening chars directly now.  */
>        if (best_above - bytepos < distance
>            || bytepos - best_below < distance)
> 	break;
>        else
>          distance += BYTECHAR_DISTANCE_INCREMENT;
>      }
>
> I am not sure if I understand the code correctly, but that loop is
> clearly scaling performance with the number of markers

I may be terribly wrong, but it looks like an optimization attempt that
may actually ruin performance. My guess is the following. Due to
multibyte characters position in buffer counted in characters may
significantly differ from index in byte sequence. Since markers have
both values bytepos and charpos, they are used (when available) to
narrow down initial estimation interval [0, buffer size) to nearest
existing markers. The code below even creates temporary markers to make
next call of the function faster.

It seems, buffers do not have any additional structures that track size
in bytes and in characters of spans (I would not expect that
representation of whole buffer in memory is single contiguous byte
array). When there are no markers at all, the function has to iterate
over each character and count its length.

The problem is that when the buffer has a lot of markers far aside from
the position passed as argument, then iteration over markers just
consumes CPU with no significant improvement of original estimation of
boundaries.

If markers were organized in a tree than search would be much faster (at
least for buffers with a lot of markers.

In some cases such function may take a hint: previous known
bytepos+charpos pair.

I hope I missed something, but what I can expect from the code of
buf_bytepos_to_charpos is that it is necessary to iterate over all
markers to update positions after each typed character.

> Finally, FYI. I plan to work on an alternative mechanism to access Org
> headings - generic Org query library. It will not use markers and
> implement ideas from org-ql. org-refile will eventually use that generic
> library instead of current mechanism.

I suppose that markers might be implemented in an efficient way, and
much better performance may be achieved when low-level data structures
are accessible. I am in doubts concerning attempts to create something
that resembles markers but based purely on high-level API.

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-03-02 15:12                   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-02 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> On 27/02/2022 13:43, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>
>> Now, I did an extended profiling of what is happening using perf:
>>
>>       6.20%   [.] buf_bytepos_to_charpos
>
> Maybe I am interpreting such results wrongly, but it does not look like
> a bottleneck. Anyway thank you very much for such efforts, however it is
> unlikely that I will join to profiling in near future.

The perf data I provided is a bit tricky. I recorded statistics over the
whole Emacs session + used fairly small number of iterations in your
benchmark code.

Now, I repeated the testing plugging perf to Emacs only during the
benchmark execution:

With refile cache and markers:
    22.82%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                       [.] buf_bytepos_to_charpos
    16.68%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                       [.] rpl_re_search_2
     8.02%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                       [.] re_match_2_internal
     6.93%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                       [.] Fmemq
     4.05%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                       [.] allocate_vectorlike
     1.88%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                       [.] mark_object

Without refile cache:
    17.25%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                         [.] rpl_re_search_2
    15.84%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                         [.] buf_bytepos_to_charpos
     8.89%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                         [.] re_match_2_internal
     8.00%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                         [.] Fmemq
     4.35%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                         [.] allocate_vectorlike
     2.01%  emacs-29.0.50.1  emacs-29.0.50.1                         [.] mark_object

Percents should be adjusted for larger execution time in the first
dataset, but otherwise it is clear that buf_bytepos_to_charpos dominates
the time delta.

>> I am not sure if I understand the code correctly, but that loop is
>> clearly scaling performance with the number of markers
>
> I may be terribly wrong, but it looks like an optimization attempt that
> may actually ruin performance. My guess is the following. Due to
> multibyte characters position in buffer counted in characters may
> significantly differ from index in byte sequence. Since markers have
> both values bytepos and charpos, they are used (when available) to
> narrow down initial estimation interval [0, buffer size) to nearest
> existing markers. The code below even creates temporary markers to make
> next call of the function faster.

I tend to agree after reading the code again.
I tried to play around with that marker loop. It seems that the loop
should not be mindlessly disabled, but it can be sufficient to check
only a small number of markers in front of the marker list. The cached
temporary markers are always added in front of the list.

Limiting the number of checked markers to 10, I got the following
result:

With threshold and refile cache:
| 9.5.2                  |                    |   |                    |
| nm-tst                 |       28.060029337 | 4 | 1.8427608629999996 |
| org-refile-get-targets | 3.2445615439999997 | 0 |                0.0 |
| nm-tst                 | 33.648259137000004 | 4 | 1.2304310540000003 |
| org-refile-cache-clear |        0.034879062 | 0 |                0.0 |
| nm-tst                 |       23.974124596 | 5 | 1.4291488149999996 |

Markers add +~5.6sec.

Original Emacs code and refile cache:
| 9.5.2                  |                      |   |                    |
| nm-tst                 |         29.494383528 | 4 | 3.0368508530000002 |
| org-refile-get-targets |          3.635947646 | 1 | 0.4542479730000002 |
| nm-tst                 |         36.537926593 | 4 | 1.1297576349999998 |
| org-refile-cache-clear | 0.009665364999999999 | 0 |                0.0 |
| nm-tst                 |         23.283457105 | 4 | 1.0536496499999997 |

Markers add +7sec.

The improvement is there, though markers still somehow come into play. I
speculate that limiting the number of checked markers might also force
adding extra temporary markers to the list, but I haven't looked into
that possibility for now. It might be better to discuss with emacs-devel
before trying too hard.

>> Finally, FYI. I plan to work on an alternative mechanism to access Org
>> headings - generic Org query library. It will not use markers and
>> implement ideas from org-ql. org-refile will eventually use that generic
>> library instead of current mechanism.
>
> I suppose that markers might be implemented in an efficient way, and
> much better performance may be achieved when low-level data structures
> are accessible. I am in doubts concerning attempts to create something
> that resembles markers but based purely on high-level API.

I am currently using a custom version of org-ql utilising the new
element cache. It is substantially faster compared to current
org-refile-get-targets. The org-ql version runs in <2 seconds at worst
when calculating all refile targets from scratch, while
org-refile-get-targets is over 10sec. org-ql version gives 0 noticeable
latency when there is an extra text query to narrow down the refile
targets. So, is it certainly possible to improve the performance just
using high-level org-element cache API + regexp search without markers.

Note that we already have something resembling markers on high-level
API. It is what org element cache is doing - on every user edit, it
re-calculates the Org element boundaries (note that Nicolas did not use
markers to store boundaries of org elements). The merged headline
support by org-element cache is the first stage of my initial plan to
speed up searching staff in Org - be it agenda items, IDs, or refile
targets.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-03-03 14:56                     ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2022-03-03 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 02/03/2022 22:12, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
> I tend to agree after reading the code again.
> I tried to play around with that marker loop. It seems that the loop
> should not be mindlessly disabled, but it can be sufficient to check
> only a small number of markers in front of the marker list. The cached
> temporary markers are always added in front of the list.

I did not try to say that the loop over markers may be just thrown away.
By the way, for sequential scan (with no backward searches) single
marker might work reasonably well.

Some kind of index for fast mapping between bytes and positions should
be maintained at the buffer level. I hope, when properly designed, such
structure may minimize amount of recalculations on each edit. I mean
some hierarchical structure of buffer fragments and markers keeps
relative offsets from beginning of the fragment they belong to.
Hierarchy of fragments is enough to provide initial estimation of
position for byte index. Only markers within the fragment that is
changed need immediate update.

> I am currently using a custom version of org-ql utilising the new
> element cache. It is substantially faster compared to current
> org-refile-get-targets. The org-ql version runs in <2 seconds at worst
> when calculating all refile targets from scratch, while
> org-refile-get-targets is over 10sec. org-ql version gives 0 noticeable
> latency when there is an extra text query to narrow down the refile
> targets. So, is it certainly possible to improve the performance just
> using high-level org-element cache API + regexp search without markers.

It is up to you to choose at which level your prefer to optimize the
code. And it is only my opinion (I do not insist) that benefits from
changes in low level code might be much more significant. I like the
idea of markers, but their current implementation is a source of pain.

> (note that Nicolas did not use
> markers to store boundaries of org elements).

E.g. export-related code certainly does need markers. You experienced
enough problems with attempts to properly invalidate cache when lower
level is not supposed to provide appropriate facilities.

* Re: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)
@ 2022-03-19  8:49                       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-19  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> It is up to you to choose at which level your prefer to optimize the
> code. And it is only my opinion (I do not insist) that benefits from
> changes in low level code might be much more significant. I like the
> idea of markers, but their current implementation is a source of pain.
>
>> (note that Nicolas did not use
>> markers to store boundaries of org elements).
>
> E.g. export-related code certainly does need markers. You experienced
> enough problems with attempts to properly invalidate cache when lower
> level is not supposed to provide appropriate facilities.

I understand your argument. However, I feel discouraged to contribute to
Emacs devel because, most of Org users will not benefit from such
contribution for a long time. Not until next several major versions of
Emacs will be released. So, I currently prefer to contribute some
backwards-compatible high-level code and leave Emacs core for future.

Best,
Ihor

* #2 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Mar 26 (was: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)))
@ 2022-03-23 10:57                 ` Ihor Radchenko
                                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-23 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordóñez, Kaushal Modi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

There were several people who came to the last meetup looking for
information about debugging Org mode. The last meetup was rather
unhelpful in this regard since we dove into a specific use-case.

I plan to try once more providing a more general introduction to Org
(and Emacs) debugging. Tentatively, I plan to talk about:
1. Running Emacs with clean configuration + latest version of Org
2. Bisecting config to find configuration-related issues
3. Using Emacs profiler and sharing profiler results
4. Answer any questions on the first three topics

After the introduction, we can continue with interactive debugging if
there is anyone experiencing performance (or other) issues with Org and
willing to share screen.

Note that using microphone and/or camera should not be required. Jitsi
does have chat.

The time will be the same: 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm
London). Sat, Mar 26

I will post the link to the meeting one hour before the meeting start.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: #2 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Mar 26 (was: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature)))
  2022-03-23 10:57                 ` #2 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Mar 26 (was: Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Feb 26 (was: profiling latency in large org-mode buffers (under both main & org-fold feature))) Ihor Radchenko
@ 2022-03-24 11:17                   ` Ihor Radchenko
                                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-24 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordóñez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

> The time will be the same: 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm
> London). Sat, Mar 26

**8am New York -> 9am

I missed the day saving time compared to the last meeting.

@ 2022-03-24 11:27                   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2022-03-24 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 7:10 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> There were several people who came to the last meetup looking for
> information about debugging Org mode. The last meetup was rather
> unhelpful in this regard since we dove into a specific use-case.
>
> I plan to try once more providing a more general introduction to Org
> (and Emacs) debugging. Tentatively, I plan to talk about:
> 1. Running Emacs with clean configuration + latest version of Org
> 2. Bisecting config to find configuration-related issues
> 3. Using Emacs profiler and sharing profiler results
> 4. Answer any questions on the first three topics

This is a great idea, Ihor. Have you considered recording this part
and sharing it?

Bruce

@ 2022-03-24 13:43                     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2022-03-24 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:28 AM Bruce D'Arcus <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 7:10 AM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear all,
> >
> > There were several people who came to the last meetup looking for
> > information about debugging Org mode. The last meetup was rather
> > unhelpful in this regard since we dove into a specific use-case.
> >
> > I plan to try once more providing a more general introduction to Org
> > (and Emacs) debugging. Tentatively, I plan to talk about:
> > 1. Running Emacs with clean configuration + latest version of Org
> > 2. Bisecting config to find configuration-related issues
> > 3. Using Emacs profiler and sharing profiler results
> > 4. Answer any questions on the first three topics
>
> This is a great idea, Ihor. Have you considered recording this part
> and sharing it?
>
> I was just going to ask the same thing! I missed the last one too and
would like to benefit from your efforts this time.

@ 2022-03-24 13:49                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-24 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: org-mode-email

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

>> I plan to try once more providing a more general introduction to Org
>> (and Emacs) debugging. Tentatively, I plan to talk about:
>> 1. Running Emacs with clean configuration + latest version of Org
>> 2. Bisecting config to find configuration-related issues
>> 3. Using Emacs profiler and sharing profiler results
>> 4. Answer any questions on the first three topics
>
> This is a great idea, Ihor. Have you considered recording this part
> and sharing it?

I was thinking about recording. I can probably record the parts where I
talk, but I will need a consent from others for everything else. Also, I
am not sure how to share such recording. I am reluctant to use youtube.
Or I may sum everything up into a text post.

@ 2022-03-26 11:59                   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-26 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordóñez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

Here is the link https://teamjoin.de/Org-dev-profiling-20220326-d708k

@ 2022-03-27  8:14                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-03-27  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordóñez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Kaushal Modi

>> The time will be the same: 9pm SG time (4pm Moscow; 8am New York; 1pm
>> London). Sat, Mar 26
>>
>> I will post the link to the meeting one hour before the meeting start.
>
> Here is the link https://teamjoin.de/Org-dev-profiling-20220326-d708k

The recording is available at
https://open.tube/videos/watch/4d819114-43bf-42df-af94-f94fc53dd0d9

Summary of the talk:

Table of Contents
─────────────────

1. Testing bugs in clean environment and latest Org
.. 1. Org manual!
.. 2. Alternative demo
.. 3. What to report
2. Testing bugs in personal config (bisecting config)
3. Using Emacs profiler and sharing profiler results
.. 1. The basic idea
.. 2. Profile buffer
.. 3. Caveats                                                   :ATTACH:

1 Testing bugs in clean environment and latest Org
══════════════════════════════════════════════════

1.1 Org manual!
───────────────

  <https://orgmode.org/> -> Contribute -> Feedback (yes, it is a bit
  obscure) -> <https://orgmode.org/org.html#Feedback>

1.2 Alternative demo
────────────────────

  • Fetch the latest Org <https://orgmode.org>
    ┌────
    │      cd /tmp/ # on Linux, can be any other dir.
    │      git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git # You need git to be installed.
    └────
    Alternative: <https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/org.html> (only latest
    stable version aka bugfix branch)
  • Create minimal working environment
    ┌────
    │      cd org-mode
    │      git checkout main
    │      # or
    │      # git checkout bugfix
    │      make cleanall # useful if you re-use the already downloaded dir
    │      make autoloads # auto-generate some files for Emacs
    └────
  • Run clean Emacs
    ┌────
    │      emacs -Q -L ./lisp -l org
    │      # or to open a clean org buffer
    │      # emacs -Q -L ./lisp -l org /tmp/test.org
    │      # or use a minimal configuration saved in /tmp/test.el, if required
    │      emacs -Q -L ./lisp -l org -l /tmp/test.el /tmp/test.org
    └────
  • Enable extra debugging Put the following into test.el
    ┌────
    │      ;; Activate generic debugging.
    │      (setq debug-on-error t
    │            debug-on-signal nil
    │            debug-on-quit nil)
    │      ;; Activate org-element debugging.
    │      (setq org-element--cache-self-verify 'backtrace
    │            org-element--cache-self-verify-frequency 1.0 ; can be less if there are lags.
    │            org-element--cache-map-statistics t)
    └────

1.3 What to report
──────────────────

  There is some common information we find extremely useful when
  diagnosing bug reports.

  • The easiest is using M-x `org-submit-bug-report'
    • Most of common require info will be auto-inserted into email
    • You don't have to configure Emacs for sending email. Can simply
      use `org-submit-bug-report' and copy-paste the text into email
      client of choice.
  • If there are warnings, can also share what is inside `*Warnings*'
    buffer: M-: `(switch-to-buffer "*Warnings*")'
  • Same for `*Messages*' M-: `(switch-to-buffer "*Messages*")'
  • Screenshots are often helpful

2 Testing bugs in personal config (bisecting config)
════════════════════════════════════════════════════

  <https://github.com/Malabarba/elisp-bug-hunter>

  • M-x `bug-hunter-init-file'
  • Usually works out of the box, but may not give useful results when
    `init.el' is a single sexp block
    ┌────
    │   (let ((org-file '"/home/yantar92/Git/emacs-config/config.org")
    │       (el-file '"~/.emacs.d/config.el"))
    │       (setq init-flag t)
    │       (setq comp-deferred-compilation-deny-list '("pdf-cache" "org-protocol"))
    │       (load el-file))
    └────
    • Then, need to dump the actual config into `init.el'
  • Sometimes, a bug in personal config is caused by interaction between
    two packages
    ┌────
    │   (require 'package1)
    │   ;; some setting causing package1 to break, but only when package2 below is loaded
    │   (require 'package2)
    └────
    • `bug-hunter' will then point to `(require 'package2)' as the
      problematic line, instead of the actual setting
    • It can help then to reshuffle the config, so that `package1' and
      `package2' are loaded early:
      ┌────
      │     (require 'package1)
      │     (require 'package2)
      │     ;; some setting causing package1 to break, but only when package2 below is loaded
      └────

3 Using Emacs profiler and sharing profiler results
═══════════════════════════════════════════════════

3.1 The basic idea
──────────────────

  1. M-x `profiler-stop' *Important*: if a profiler is already running,
     the report will contain irrelevant data
     • `profiler-stop' may not be available right after Emacs start. If
       it is not listed in M-x completions, no need to run it
  2. M-x `profiler-start' <RET> `cpu' <RET>
  3. Do slow staff you want to test
  4. M-x `profiler-report'
  5. M-x `profiler-report-write-profile'
  6. Attach the report file to you bug report
  7. (FYI) M-x `profiler-find-profile' can be used to view the saved
     report later

3.2 Profile buffer
──────────────────

  • You can <TAB> to fold/unfold entries
  • … can reveal useful info!
  • so does `redisplay_internal (C function)'
  • Useful staff reveals itself as "%" value changes noticeable deeper
    into the nested tree

3.3 Caveats
───────────

  • If your Emacs hangs for a long time while recording a profile and
    you abort with `C-g', profiler will likely contain garbage data
  • Calling M-x `profiler-report' twice in a row will not give anything
    useful The second call will profile actions done between the first
    and second calls.
  • Profiler does not show how frequently a function is called
    • Information on number of calls can be obtained using other kind of
      profiler: `ELP'
      ┌────
      │     (require 'elp)
      │     (elp-restore-all) ;; Cleanup
      │     (elp-instrument-function #'org-element-cache-map) ; or any other function
      │     ;; Do slow staff.
      │     (elp-results)
      └────
  • Byte-compilation and native-compilation can sometimes create cryptic
    profiles
    • It helps to go to function definition manually and re-evaluate it
      1. M-x `describe-function' <RET> `function-name' <RET>
      2. Go to the definition "… is an interactive native compiled Lisp
         function in ‘some-file-click-on-it.el’."
      3. C-M-x (or M-x `eval-defun')
      4. Redo the profiling

Best,
Ihor

* #3 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Apr 23 (was: #2 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Mar 26)
@ 2022-04-21  8:05                   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-21  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Kaushal Modi

Dear all,

I am continuing my experiment with Org mode meetups and online
debugging.

This time, I plan to
1. Talk about contributing patches to Org
   - Applying patches sent by others
   - Testing changes (make test)
   - Creating patches
   - Sending patches to the mailing list
2. Talk about and debug any issues related to Org interactively via
   screen sharing.

Note that using microphone and/or camera should not be required. Jitsi
does have chat.

The time will be the same: 9pm SG time (4pm Kyiv; 2pm London; 9am New
York). Sat, Apr 23

I will post the link to the meeting one hour before the meeting start.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: #3 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Apr 23 (was: #2 Org mode profiling meetup on Sat, Mar 26)
@ 2022-04-23 12:08                     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-23 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Kaushal Modi

> I will post the link to the meeting one hour before the meeting start.

https://teamjoin.de/Org-dev-profiling-202204-23-d708k

See you,

@ 2022-04-24  4:27                       ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-04-24  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)