* set italian language in LaTeX export
@ 2024-02-19 10:08 Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2024-02-19 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org list

Hi all,
this has to be trivial, but it is not working on my system (Emacs
28.2, Org 9.5.5): I set in my document
#+language: it

and I correctly got in the LaTeX buffer something like:

pdflang={Italian}}

but not something like:

\usepackage[italian]{babel}

and therefore the generation of the PDF uses English hyphenation, not
the correct italian one.
On my system I've installed the package texlive-lang-italian and if I
add the babel package line above by hand, I'm able to produce the
italianized PDF.
What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Luca

* Re: set italian language in LaTeX export
@ 2024-02-19 11:11 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-19 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-org list

Luca Ferrari writes:

> #+language: it
>
> and I correctly got in the LaTeX buffer something like:
>
> pdflang={Italian}}
>
> but not something like:
>
> \usepackage[italian]{babel}

You must load the babel package with the AUTO option:

#+language:it
#+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[AUTO]{babel}

(see 'LaTeX header and sectioning structure' in the Org Manual)

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía

* Re: set italian language in LaTeX export
@ 2024-02-19 14:06   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2024-02-19 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: emacs-org list

O> You must load the babel package with the AUTO option:
>
> #+language:it
> #+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[AUTO]{babel}

Thanks, this solved the problem. Out of curiosity, why is not org-mode
adding it automatically whenever a #+language setting is present?
I'm just curious because it seems that, as an example, open-office
exporting understands the language.

@ 2024-02-19 15:11     ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: emacs-org list

Luca Ferrari writes:

>> #+language:it
>> #+LaTeX_Header: \usepackage[AUTO]{babel}
>>

> Thanks, this solved the problem. Out of curiosity, why is not org-mode
> adding it automatically whenever a #+language setting is present?
> I'm just curious because it seems that, as an example, open-office
> exporting understands the language.

Hi, Luca. You may be interested in taking a look at this thread, where
this problem and other related issues such as fallback fonts in LaTeX
export are discussed:

https://list.orgmode.org/?t=20230830082719

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía