* Creating an Ubuntu Package for org.
@ 2008-08-25  8:19 Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-08-25  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Whilst it's pretty easy to install org from source, I thought it might
be helpful to make an Ubuntu package. Making a package may encourage
more people to try org as it overcomes some hurdles in installation.
Also you should automatically get up to date versions.

I know that someone has made packages available before, but they don't
seem to be actively maintained. Rather than just create my own personal
packages, I thought it might be worthwhile to use Launchpad and try to
get the package accepted into the Ubuntu package collection.

I know that Carsten is away at the moment and I wouldn't want to do
anything without his agreement.

Comments please!

Ian.

* Re: Creating an Ubuntu Package for org.
@ 2008-08-25  8:45 ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-08-25  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Barton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:19:46 +0100, Ian Barton <lists@manor-farm.org> said:

Ian> Comments please!

Ubuntu uses the debian emacs packages distribution system. So if you
want an ubuntu package, you probably want to do the debian package at
first, and let the ubuntu packagers do their work for next release.

That said, org-mode has been bundled with GNUEmacs since 22 IIRC, and
it is up-to-date in the next release of emacs, version 23.

Also, I'm a strong advocate of a GNUEmacs packages management system,
because emacs lisp packages are by nature portable across systems by
themselves. Some work has been started by Tom Tromey (ELPA), but RMS
did not welcome very warmly last year the proposal to bundle it into
emacs and push it forward as the best mean to distribute emacs
packages. We hope to come to an agreement for emacs 24.

--
  Paul

* Re: Creating an Ubuntu Package for org.
@ 2008-08-25 23:59 ` Rob Weir
From: Rob Weir @ 2008-08-25 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 25 Aug 2008, Ian Barton wrote:
> Whilst it's pretty easy to install org from source, I thought it might
> be helpful to make an Ubuntu package. Making a package may encourage
> more people to try org as it overcomes some hurdles in installation.
> Also you should automatically get up to date versions.

Debian already has a separate org-mode package, currently up to date at
6.06b-1.  The development release of Ubuntu currently features version
6.05-2 of that package.

--
-rob

* Re: Re: Creating an Ubuntu Package for org.
@ 2008-08-26  7:43   ` Harri Kiiskinen
From: Harri Kiiskinen @ 2008-08-26  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paul.r.ml; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

From: Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com>
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Creating an Ubuntu Package for org.
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:45:00 +0200

And org-mode has already been packaged for Debian, see http://packages.debian.org/org-mode

--
Harri K.

* Re: Re: Creating an Ubuntu Package for org.
@ 2008-08-26  7:47   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2008-08-26  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> Whilst it's pretty easy to install org from source, I thought it might
>> be helpful to make an Ubuntu package. Making a package may encourage
>> more people to try org as it overcomes some hurdles in installation.
>> Also you should automatically get up to date versions.
>
> Debian already has a separate org-mode package, currently up to date at
> 6.06b-1.  The development release of Ubuntu currently features version
> 6.05-2 of that package.

Good, I hadn't realised that Intrepid had included org mode as a
separate package. There is a bug in the current alpha which stops it
running on Virtual Box, so I haven't had a chance to look at it. So it
looks as though there is nothing for me to do:)

Ian.