* How to use overprint in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-23  2:10 Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-23  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
Beamer overprint environment.

Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.

    % latex
    \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
    \begin{block}{Things}
      \begin{description}[<+->]
      \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
      \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
      \item[baz] third and final
      \end{description}
    \end{block}

    \begin{overprint}
      \onslide<1>
      \begin{block}{Foo}
        A picture of a ``foo''.
      \end{block}

      \onslide<2>
      \begin{block}{Bar}
        Some text about ``bar''.
      \end{block}

      \onslide<3>
      \begin{block}{Baz}
        Content relevant only to ``baz''.
      \end{block}

    \end{overprint}

    \end{frame}

I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
heading.

Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-23  6:26 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-23  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:10:09PM -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:

> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
> Beamer overprint environment.

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
> heading.

Doesn't the following work?

<http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#environments-overlay>

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-23  7:25 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-04-23  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
> Beamer overprint environment.
>
> Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.
>
>     % latex
>     \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
>     \begin{block}{Things}
>       \begin{description}[<+->]
>       \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
>       \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
>       \item[baz] third and final
>       \end{description}
>     \end{block}
>
>     \begin{overprint}
>       \onslide<1>
>       \begin{block}{Foo}
>         A picture of a ``foo''.
>       \end{block}
>
>       \onslide<2>
>       \begin{block}{Bar}
>         Some text about ``bar''.
>       \end{block}
>
>       \onslide<3>
>       \begin{block}{Baz}
>         Content relevant only to ``baz''.
>       \end{block}
>
>     \end{overprint}
>
>     \end{frame}

As pointed out by Suvayu Ali, you can define a new "overprint"
environment, but it won't provide the "\onslide<...>" macros. You'll
have to rely on "#+beamer: \onslide<...>" keywords.

> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
> heading.

In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
headline. That's how columns work.

Here is an example:

#+begin_src org
#+BIND: org-beamer-environments-extra (("overprint" "O" "\\begin{overprint}%o" "\\end{overprint}"))
#+LANGUAGE: en

* The Things

** Things

   #+attr_beamer: :overlay +-
   - foo :: the first thing I want to talk about
   - bar :: this is the second, follows the first
   - baz :: third and final

** Overprint
   :PROPERTIES:
   :beamer_env: overprint
   :END:

   #+beamer: \onslide<1>
*** Foo

    A picture of a "foo".

*** onslide                                                      :B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:

    #+beamer: \onslide<2>

*** Bar

    Some text about "bar".

*** onslide                                                      :B_ignoreheading:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: ignoreheading
    :END:

    #+beamer: \onslide<3>

*** Baz

    Content relevant only to "baz".
#+end_src

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-23  8:12   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-23  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 09:25:33AM +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:

[...chomp...chomp...chomp...]

> In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
> Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
> headline. That's how columns work.

The "ignoreheading" technique is mentioned under "Special environments"
on that same Worg page.

<http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#special-environments>

Maybe I need to restructure the write-up a bit.  At the moment it feels
more like documentation rather than tutorial.  I'll think a bit how to
best present all the information in a more friendly fashion.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to use overprint in Beamer export
@ 2013-04-23 13:21   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-23 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 08:10:09PM -0600, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
>> Beamer overprint environment.
>
> [...chomp...chomp...chomp...]
>
>> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
>> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
>> heading.
>
> Doesn't the following work?
>
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html#environments-overlay>

Ah, thanks this does indeed work.  I should have searched worg more
thoroughly.

--

@ 2013-04-23 13:22   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-23 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd like to enclose a series of blocks which replace each other in the
>> Beamer overprint environment.
>>
>> Here's the LateX I'd like to produce.
>>
>>     % latex
>>     \begin{frame}[fragile]{The Things}
>>     \begin{block}{Things}
>>       \begin{description}[<+->]
>>       \item[foo] the first thing I want to talk about
>>       \item[bar] this is the second, follows the first
>>       \item[baz] third and final
>>       \end{description}
>>     \end{block}
>>
>>     \begin{overprint}
>>       \onslide<1>
>>       \begin{block}{Foo}
>>         A picture of a ``foo''.
>>       \end{block}
>>
>>       \onslide<2>
>>       \begin{block}{Bar}
>>         Some text about ``bar''.
>>       \end{block}
>>
>>       \onslide<3>
>>       \begin{block}{Baz}
>>         Content relevant only to ``baz''.
>>       \end{block}
>>
>>     \end{overprint}
>>
>>     \end{frame}
>
> As pointed out by Suvayu Ali, you can define a new "overprint"
> environment, but it won't provide the "\onslide<...>" macros. You'll
> have to rely on "#+beamer: \onslide<...>" keywords.
>
>> I see no way to generate this from Org-mode given the folding behavior
>> of Org-mode outlines.  Namely the fact that there is no way to *close* a
>> heading.
>
> In general, you close a headline with another headline (i.e. a block in
> Beamer jargon). You can also close a block with an "ignoreheading"
> headline. That's how columns work.
>
> Here is an example:

Thanks for this.  It does indeed do exactly what I want.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte