* [new exporter] ASCII export, single newline
@ 2012-12-12 18:26 David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2012-12-12 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all

Trying out the new exporter... for my (very basic) purposes it is
working fine - except one detail I can't find an answer to. I frequently
have to make structured lists and email them to the office. I make each
list as a table in an Org subtree, with some notes (always just plain
text) above and below the table.

At least for my purposes, the table export to ASCII works perfectly.

My plain-text notes, however, often contain single newlines, which I'd
like to retain. The new ASCII exporter converts them to spaces. If I put
double newlines in the original, then the exporter doesn't convert
anything, and leaves them double. I'm glad to format my originals in any
way that works - my aim is only to get single newlines into the finished
export. Is there an easy way to do that?

--
Thanks
David

* Re: [new exporter] ASCII export, single newline
@ 2012-12-12 22:09 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-12-12 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:

> My plain-text notes, however, often contain single newlines, which I'd
> like to retain. The new ASCII exporter converts them to spaces. If I put
> double newlines in the original, then the exporter doesn't convert
> anything, and leaves them double. I'm glad to format my originals in any
> way that works - my aim is only to get single newlines into the finished
> export. Is there an easy way to do that?

IIUC, you want line breaks. I.e:

Some line \\
Some other line.

If you want a line break on every line, use #+OPTIONS: \n:t

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter] ASCII export, single newline
@ 2012-12-12 23:21   ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2012-12-12 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> My plain-text notes, however, often contain single newlines, which I'd
>> like to retain. The new ASCII exporter converts them to spaces. If I put
>> double newlines in the original, then the exporter doesn't convert
>> anything, and leaves them double. I'm glad to format my originals in any
>> way that works - my aim is only to get single newlines into the finished
>> export. Is there an easy way to do that?
>
> IIUC, you want line breaks. I.e:
>
> Some line \\
> Some other line.

Thanks...

This is giving me two line breaks (i.e. inserting an unwanted blank
line into the result). I want one line break, but no blank line.

> If you want a line break on every line, use #+OPTIONS: \n:t

Haven't tried this yet.

--

@ 2012-12-13  7:30   ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2012-12-13  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> My plain-text notes, however, often contain single newlines, which I'd
>> like to retain. The new ASCII exporter converts them to spaces. If I put
>> double newlines in the original, then the exporter doesn't convert
>> anything, and leaves them double. I'm glad to format my originals in any
>> way that works - my aim is only to get single newlines into the finished
>> export. Is there an easy way to do that?
>
> IIUC, you want line breaks. I.e:
>
> Some line \\
> Some other line.

Exporting the double backslash adds an extra blank line, which I don't want.

> If you want a line break on every line, use #+OPTIONS: \n:t

This gave me exactly what I was looking for, thank you. My line breaks are
preserved, but no new ones are added.

(The old ASCII exporter preserved line breaks, without using any OPTIONS.)

--

@ 2012-12-13 12:53     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-12-13 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Rogers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:

>> David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> My plain-text notes, however, often contain single newlines, which I'd
>>> like to retain. The new ASCII exporter converts them to spaces. If I put
>>> double newlines in the original, then the exporter doesn't convert
>>> anything, and leaves them double. I'm glad to format my originals in any
>>> way that works - my aim is only to get single newlines into the finished
>>> export. Is there an easy way to do that?
>>
>> IIUC, you want line breaks. I.e:
>>
>> Some line \\
>> Some other line.
>
> Exporting the double backslash adds an extra blank line, which I don't
> want.

You have to update Org. I fixed it yesterday (shortly before answering
your message)

>> If you want a line break on every line, use #+OPTIONS: \n:t
>
> This gave me exactly what I was looking for, thank you. My line breaks are
> preserved, but no new ones are added.
>
> (The old ASCII exporter preserved line breaks, without using any OPTIONS.)

The old ASCII exporter didn't format paragraphs properly.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: [new exporter] ASCII export, single newline
@ 2012-12-13 20:17       ` David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2012-12-13 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:

>>> IIUC, you want line breaks. I.e:
>>>
>>> Some line \\
>>> Some other line.
>>
>> Exporting the double backslash adds an extra blank line, which I don't
>> want.
>
> You have to update Org. I fixed it yesterday (shortly before answering
> your message)

Thank you! You (and many who work on Org) have this very nice habit -
when you see that something in Org is broken, you mostly just go and fix
it. I appreciate the work that all of you do.

>>> If you want a line break on every line, use #+OPTIONS: \n:t
>>
>> This gave me exactly what I was looking for, thank you. My line breaks are
>> preserved, but no new ones are added.
>>
>> (The old ASCII exporter preserved line breaks, without using any OPTIONS.)
>
> The old ASCII exporter didn't format paragraphs properly.

So now I know about #+OPTIONS: \n:t , and also the new exporter should
just do it correctly anyway, since you fixed it? Perfect. Thanks again
for your help.

--
David