* Problem indenting plain lists
@ 2009-11-13 15:22 Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2009-11-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm on Org-mode version 6.33 (release_6.33) and I'm having a problem
with indenting. Given this little org file:

* Heading 1
   - notes 1
   - notes 2
     - more notes
*** Heading 2
     - even more notes
     - even more notes

I want to make a new plain list item before "notes 1".

If I put my cursor at the start of the line that says "- notes 1",
then RET and C-p (ie make a blank line) and then type -TAB nothing
happens. If I type - and then use either demote heading or demote
subtree, it indents the current line, but also demotes all the lines
below it. Is there a way to just indent the hyphen so it lines up with
other notes lines?

Thanks,

   -Anthony

* Re: Problem indenting plain lists
@ 2009-11-13 15:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-11-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 13, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Anthony Lander wrote:

> I'm on Org-mode version 6.33 (release_6.33) and I'm having a problem
> with indenting. Given this little org file:
>
> * Heading 1
>  - notes 1
>  - notes 2
>    - more notes
> *** Heading 2
>    - even more notes
>    - even more notes
>
> I want to make a new plain list item before "notes 1".
>
> If I put my cursor at the start of the line that says "- notes 1",
> then RET and C-p (ie make a blank line) and then type -TAB nothing
> happens. If I type - and then use either demote heading or demote
> subtree, it indents the current line, but also demotes all the lines
> below it. Is there a way to just indent the hyphen so it lines up
> with other notes lines?

No, but you can put the cursor in column zero at "notes 1" and press M-
RET.

- Carsten

> Thanks,
>
>  -Anthony

- Carsten

* Re: Problem indenting plain lists
@ 2009-11-13 15:43   ` Anthony Lander
From: Anthony Lander @ 2009-11-13 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 09-Nov-13, at 10:37 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Nov 13, 2009, at 4:22 PM, Anthony Lander wrote:
>
>> I'm on Org-mode version 6.33 (release_6.33) and I'm having a
>> problem with indenting. Given this little org file:
>>
>> * Heading 1
>> - notes 1
>> - notes 2
>>   - more notes
>> *** Heading 2
>>   - even more notes
>>   - even more notes
>>
>> I want to make a new plain list item before "notes 1".
>>
>> If I put my cursor at the start of the line that says "- notes 1",
>> then RET and C-p (ie make a blank line) and then type -TAB nothing
>> happens. If I type - and then use either demote heading or demote
>> subtree, it indents the current line, but also demotes all the
>> lines below it. Is there a way to just indent the hyphen so it
>> lines up with other notes lines?
>
> No, but you can put the cursor in column zero at "notes 1" and press
> M-RET.
>
> - Carsten

Ah! Thanks very much. I knew I must be missing something.

@ 2009-11-13 16:12 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-11-13 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Lander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Anthony Lander <anthonylander@yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm on Org-mode version 6.33 (release_6.33) and I'm having a problem
> with indenting. Given this little org file:
>
> * Heading 1
>   - notes 1
>   - notes 2
>     - more notes
> *** Heading 2
>     - even more notes
>     - even more notes
>
> I want to make a new plain list item before "notes 1".
>
> If I put my cursor at the start of the line that says "- notes 1",
> then RET and C-p (ie make a blank line) and then type -TAB nothing
> happens. If I type - and then use either demote heading or demote
> subtree, it indents the current line, but also demotes all the lines
> below it. Is there a way to just indent the hyphen so it lines up with
> other notes lines?

Hi Anthony,

I can't reproduce this behaviour.

If I put the point at the start of the '  - notes 1' line then hit M-RET
I get this:

,----
| * Heading 1
|   - <point here>
|   - notes 1
|   - notes 2
|     - more notes
| *** Heading 2
`----

RET C-p - TAB gives me this:

,----
| * Heading 1
|   -<point here>
|   - notes 1
|   - notes 2
|     - more notes
| *** Heading 2
`----

Org-mode version 6.33 (release_6.33)
GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.11) of 2008-11-09
on raven, modified by Debian

-Bernt