* Task time limit
@ 2007-11-18 23:43 Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2007-11-18 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

another idea for a feature (if it's not already possible) that would
definitely come handy. I have few tasks that should only take a
limited amount of my time each day.

For example, "check the feed reader" would be set to 20 minutes. I
would clock-in the task, go and check the reader and after 20 mins,
alarm would go off, reminding me that I should start doing something
else.

Is this possible with current version?

Thanks, Sebastjan

* Re: Task time limit
@ 2007-11-19 13:03 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-19 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastjan Trepca" <trepca@gmail.com> writes:

> For example, "check the feed reader" would be set to 20 minutes. I
> would clock-in the task, go and check the reader and after 20 mins,
> alarm would go off, reminding me that I should start doing something
> else.

Nice idea, I gave it a shot.

I advised `org-clock-in' so that each time I am clocking in a new task,
a new appointment is triggered.  `my-org-appt-add' can also be called
interactively.

;; Make sure you have a sensible value for `appt-message-warning-time'
(defun my-org-appt-add (&optional n)
  "Add an appointment for the Org entry at point in N minutes."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (org-back-to-heading t)
    (looking-at org-complex-heading-regexp)
    (let* ((msg (concat (match-string-no-properties 4)
			" *GAME OVER*"))
	   (ct-time (decode-time))
	   (appt-min (+ (cadr ct-time) (or n 20)))
	   (appt-time ; define the time for the appointment
	    (progn (setf (cadr ct-time) appt-min) ct-time)))
      (appt-add (format-time-string
		 "%H:%M" (apply 'encode-time appt-time)) msg)
      (if (interactive-p) (message "New appointment for %s" msg)))))

(defadvice org-clock-in (after org-appt-add-after-clock-in activate)
  "Add an appointment after clocking in a task."
  (my-org-appt-add))

Maybe another idea is to bind (progn (org-clock-in) (my-org-appt-add))
to a key in org-agenda-mode-map, since advising `org-clock-in' is a bit
too much IMO.  Or we could use some kind of filtering to decide whether
clockin in an entry should trigger a new appointment.

Anyway, that's just a quickstart, let me know if this is useful.

--
Bastien

* Re: Task time limit
@ 2008-02-10 17:39   ` Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2008-02-10 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I finally got time to try this code :)

Copied into my .emacs file, changed the time to 1 minute, clocked in a
task, waited a minute and nothing happened :)

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks, Sebastjan

On Nov 19, 2007 2:03 PM, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> "Sebastjan Trepca" <trepca@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > For example, "check the feed reader" would be set to 20 minutes. I
> > would clock-in the task, go and check the reader and after 20 mins,
> > alarm would go off, reminding me that I should start doing something
> > else.
>
> Nice idea, I gave it a shot.
>
> I advised `org-clock-in' so that each time I am clocking in a new task,
> a new appointment is triggered.  `my-org-appt-add' can also be called
> interactively.
>
> ;; Make sure you have a sensible value for `appt-message-warning-time'
> (defun my-org-appt-add (&optional n)
>   "Add an appointment for the Org entry at point in N minutes."
>   (interactive)
>   (save-excursion
>     (org-back-to-heading t)
>     (looking-at org-complex-heading-regexp)
>     (let* ((msg (concat (match-string-no-properties 4)
>                         " *GAME OVER*"))
>            (ct-time (decode-time))
>            (appt-min (+ (cadr ct-time) (or n 20)))
>            (appt-time ; define the time for the appointment
>             (progn (setf (cadr ct-time) appt-min) ct-time)))
>       (appt-add (format-time-string
>                  "%H:%M" (apply 'encode-time appt-time)) msg)
>       (if (interactive-p) (message "New appointment for %s" msg)))))
>
> (defadvice org-clock-in (after org-appt-add-after-clock-in activate)
>   "Add an appointment after clocking in a task."
>   (my-org-appt-add))
>
> Maybe another idea is to bind (progn (org-clock-in) (my-org-appt-add))
> to a key in org-agenda-mode-map, since advising `org-clock-in' is a bit
> too much IMO.  Or we could use some kind of filtering to decide whether
> clockin in an entry should trigger a new appointment.
>
> Anyway, that's just a quickstart, let me know if this is useful.
>
> --
> Bastien

* Re: Task time limit
@ 2008-02-10 18:57     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastjan Trepca; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastjan Trepca" <trepca@gmail.com> writes:

> I finally got time to try this code :)

This is just 84 days old :)

> Copied into my .emacs file, changed the time to 1 minute, clocked in a
> task, waited a minute and nothing happened :)

Are you activating appointments with (appt-activate) somewhere?
What is the output of M-x appt-delete RET ?

Maybe you can try with a more realistic value of 20 minutes and check if
the appt appears somewhere (with-x appt-delete RET)

BTW, here is the last version I use, letting you to delete
"appointments" if you clock out (only in the org-mode buffer):

;; Make sure you have a sensible value for `appt-message-warning-time'
(defvar bzg-org-clock-in-appt-delay 100
  "Number of minutes for setting an appointment by clocking-in")

(defun bzg-org-clock-in-add-appt (&optional n)
  "Add an appointment for the Org entry at point in N minutes."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (org-back-to-heading t)
    (looking-at org-complex-heading-regexp)
    (let* ((msg (match-string-no-properties 4))
	   (ct-time (decode-time))
	   (appt-min (+ (cadr ct-time)
			(or n bzg-org-clock-in-appt-delay)))
	   (appt-time ; define the time for the appointment
	    (progn (setf (cadr ct-time) appt-min) ct-time)))
      (appt-add (format-time-string
		 "%H:%M" (apply 'encode-time appt-time)) msg)
      (if (interactive-p) (message "New appointment for %s" msg)))))

(defadvice org-clock-in (after org-clock-in-add-appt activate)
  "Add an appointment when clocking a task in."
  (bzg-org-clock-in-add-appt))

(defun bzg-org-clock-out-delete-appt nil
  "When clocking out, delete any associated appointment."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (org-back-to-heading t)
    (looking-at org-complex-heading-regexp)
    (let* ((msg (match-string-no-properties 4)))
      (setq appt-time-msg-list
	    (delete nil
		    (mapcar
		     (lambda (appt)
		       (if (not (string-match (regexp-quote msg)
					      (cadr appt))) appt))
		     appt-time-msg-list)))
      (appt-check))))

(defadvice org-clock-out (before org-clock-out-delete-appt activate)
  "Delete an appointment when clocking a task out."

@ 2008-02-10 19:18       ` Sebastjan Trepca
From: Sebastjan Trepca @ 2008-02-10 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> This is just 84 days old :)
Hehe, I guess I have a long queue ;)

Anyway, this new version works! :)

Thank you very much, this will be very useful. Btw, why not integrate
it with org-mode?

Sebastjan

--
Sebastjan

* Re: Task time limit
@ 2008-02-10 19:47         ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-10 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastjan Trepca" <trepca@gmail.com> writes:

> Anyway, this new version works! :)

Be careful about clocking out from agenda views if you're also advising
org-clock-out.  It doesn't work, I can't see why for now.

> Thank you very much, this will be very useful. Btw, why not integrate
> it with org-mode?

I don't think this has to be part of org-mode.

I'm not using it myself and I would be surprised if many people are
using it.  This is a strange way of using appointments as "reminders".
And most of the times you will clock the task out before the appt will
pop up -- which means you really relies on `appt-message-warning-time'
to tell you that you're about to reach the "appointment"...

Anyway, I opened a page named org-adhoc-code.org on Worg:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/worg/org-adhoc-code.html

We could put other tiny pieces of code here in the future.

--
Bastien