* Using column view on a sparse tree displaying only a few tags.
@ 2008-04-03 17:16 Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-03 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Let's say I have a org tree with some tasks tagged with the keyword
":today:".
Now I do a sparse tree matching the today tag and this would limit the
display to only items with tag "today".

Now if I would like to do a column view on that sparse tree by doing C-c
C-x C-c. However this does not seem to limit the column display to only
the headlines with the tag "today".  Is it possible to achieve what I'm
trying to do? Is there any way to filter out (i.e hide) headlines in the
column view based on some criteria?

Thanks,
Jose

* Re: Using column view on a sparse tree displaying only a few tags.
@ 2008-04-03 17:52 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-04-03 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wulfhomme13-rook; +Cc: org-mode

Jose Robins <wulfhomme13-rook@yahoo.com> writes:

> Let's say I have a org tree with some tasks tagged with the keyword ":today:".
> Now I do a sparse tree matching the today tag and this would limit the display
> to only items with tag "today".

Tag your tasks with :today: then do an agenda view tag match for today

C-c a 1 m today RET

Tag inheritance will control if subtasks are included or not.

> Now if I would like to do a column view on that sparse tree by doing C-c C-x
> C-c. However this does not seem to limit the column display to only the
> headlines with the tag "today".  Is it possible to achieve what I'm trying to
> do? Is there any way to filter out (i.e hide) headlines in the column view
> based on some criteria?

Then C-c C-x C-c in the agenda view

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Using column view on a sparse tree displaying only a few tags.
@ 2008-04-03 20:54   ` Jose Robins
From: Jose Robins @ 2008-04-03 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: org-mode

Thanks Bernt, that works!
However the only thing is that I've defined COLUMNS for the whole file
using the #+COLUMNS keyword at the top of the file. I guess those
properties are not being considered in the column view on the agenda
buffer. It comes up with the default column properties.... I guess the
only way is to redefine the standard column properties, so that the
column properties that I want are displayed in the agenda view as well...

thanks,
Jose

@ 2008-04-03 20:58     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-04-03 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wulfhomme13-rook; +Cc: org-mode

Jose Robins <wulfhomme13-rook@yahoo.com> writes:

> However the only thing is that I've defined COLUMNS for the whole file using
> the #+COLUMNS keyword at the top of the file. I guess those properties are not
> being considered in the column view on the agenda buffer. It comes up with the
> default column properties.... I guess the only way is to redefine the standard
> column properties, so that the column properties that I want are displayed in
> the agenda view as well...

I use the same column definition everywhere so I have this in my .emacs

(setq org-columns-default-format "%40ITEM(Task) %17Effort(Estimated Effort){:} %CLOCKSUM")

That works great for me...

Your mileage may vary :)

Bernt

* Re: Re: Using column view on a sparse tree displaying only a few tags.
@ 2008-04-04 10:28     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-04-04 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wulfhomme13-rook; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, org-mode

On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:54 PM, Jose Robins wrote:

> Thanks Bernt, that works!
> However the only thing is that I've defined COLUMNS for the whole
> file using the #+COLUMNS keyword at the top of the file. I guess
> those properties are not being considered in the column view on the
> agenda buffer. It comes up with the default column properties.... I
> guess the only way is to redefine the standard column properties, so
> that the column properties that I want are displayed in the agenda
> view as well...

This is now fixed.  Column view in the agenda will now use the column
format
appropriate for the entry at point, or for the first entry in the agenda
view.  I.e. it will go back to the original buffer and take the format
from
a property, a COLUMNS line, or, if these fail, from the default set in
org-columns-default-format'.

This change is up in the git repo.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-28 15:15       ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-05-28 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 12:28:32PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Apr 3, 2008, at 10:54 PM, Jose Robins wrote:
> >Thanks Bernt, that works!
> >However the only thing is that I've defined COLUMNS for the whole
> >file using the #+COLUMNS keyword at the top of the file. I guess
> >those properties are not being considered in the column view on the
> >agenda buffer. It comes up with the default column properties.... I
> >guess the only way is to redefine the standard column properties, so
> >that the column properties that I want are displayed in the agenda
> >view as well...
>
> This is now fixed.  Column view in the agenda will now use the
> column format appropriate for the entry at point, or for the first
> entry in the agenda view.  I.e. it will go back to the original
> buffer and take the format from a property, a COLUMNS line, or, if
> these fail, from the default set in org-columns-default-format'.
>
> This change is up in the git repo.

Is there a regression here, or am I doing something wrong?  I have

#+COLUMNS: %TODO %3PRIORITY %40ITEM(Task) %17Effort(ETC){:} CLOCKSUM(Taken) %TAGS(Tags)

near the bottom of one of my four agenda files, but when I look at the
agenda and turn on column view, it still uses org-columns-default-format.
This is with a fairly recent git pull.

* Re: Re: Using column view on a sparse tree displaying only a few tags.
@ 2008-05-28 17:26         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-05-28 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Spiers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is no regression.  In the agenda, org will use the format
applicable to the first item, since it has to use the same for all
lines.  If that first item is from a file that has no columns format,
it will use the default.  Just set the default format and not the file-
local ones.

- Carsten

@ 2008-05-28 22:06           ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2008-05-28 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 07:26:35PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> This is no regression.  In the agenda, org will use the format
> applicable to the first item, since it has to use the same for all
> lines.  If that first item is from a file that has no columns format,
> it will use the default.  Just set the default format and not the file-
> local ones.

Ah, makes sense!  Thanks.