* Literate programming: Org mode and Scala
@ 2018-09-09 19:26 Andrea Giugliano
From: Andrea Giugliano @ 2018-09-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi everybody,

TL;DR: org mode literate programming does not work easily with the current
scala-mode, there are options to work around this: are the org-mode
maintainers still okay with scala-mode depending on ensime?

Thanks so much for org-mode: the more I use it the more I appreciate the
effort you have put into it!

I am working with Scala and I like to test out things using a literate
programming style. Apparently org-mode decided to offload the scala-mode
to the Ensime maintainers. For this reason there is no straightforward
(at least not to me) support to run code blocks on the fly.

I have opened an issue about this [0], but the Ensime/scala-mode
community does not seem active (at least this pull request did not
receive any comment yet [1]).

For those who are struggling I have created a little of code to make
easy to work with Scala and org-mode [2].

I wonder: is the org-mode community planning to make scala-mode work in
a literate way without workarounds?

Thanks,

Andrea

[0] https://github.com/ensime/emacs-scala-mode/issues/148
[1] https://github.com/ensime/emacs-scala-mode/pull/151
[2] https://github.com/ag91/EasyOrgEnsime

* Re: Literate programming: Org mode and Scala
@ 2018-09-18 15:50 ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2018-09-18 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Giugliano; +Cc: Org-mode

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM Andrea Giugliano <agiugliano@live.it> wrote:
> I wonder: is the org-mode community planning to make scala-mode work in
> a literate way without workarounds?

Are you saying that there are two versions of scala-mode out there:
one that works and one that doesn't work?

* Re: Literate programming: Org mode and Scala
@ 2018-09-18 16:17   ` Andrea
From: Andrea @ 2018-09-18 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Grant,

Yes, I am. If you manage to make the current scala-mode work, the output
is ugly (I opened a PR for that). The old scala-mode [1] did not need any
external package to work (apart of Scala).

Best,

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/tkf/org-mode/master/lisp/ob-scala.el