* Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-13 12:28 Christian Wittern
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Christian Wittern @ 2013-09-13 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

I am developing a mode derived from org for special editing and browsing
purposes.  I will add my own menu to the menubar and would like to remove
the menus added by org, "Org" and "Tbl", in order not to confuse my users,
who will be Emacs newbies in most cases.
I tried several things like

(define-key org-mode-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
or
(define-key global-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
and some other combinations of this line of thought, but nothing succeeded
in removing the stuff.

I wonder if anybody here has any advice?

All the best and thanks in advance,

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-13 12:44 ` Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-09-13 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am developing a mode derived from org for special editing and browsing purposes.  I will add my own menu to the menubar and would like to remove the menus added by org, "Org" and "Tbl", in order not to confuse my users, who will be Emacs newbies in most cases.
> I tried several things like
>
> (define-key org-mode-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
> or
> (define-key global-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
> and some other combinations of this line of thought, but nothing succeeded in removing the stuff.
>
> I wonder if anybody here has any advice?

Interesting question, and I do not know the answer.  Only that you certainly should not change the org-mode-map, because such changes would have effects in all Org mode buffers.

- Carsten

> All the best and thanks in advance,
>
> Christian
>
> --
> Christian Wittern, Kyoto

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-13 13:09 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-09-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder if anybody here has any advice?

Not really an advice, just a hint: doesn't org-mode itself use easy-menu
to remove outline from the menu bar?

,---------------------------------------------------------------
`---------------------------------------------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-13 23:36   ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2013-09-13 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2013-09-13 22:09, Thorsten Jolitz wrote:
> 9 matches for "easy-menu" in buffer: org.el
> |    5312:        (easy-menu-remove outline-mode-menu-heading)
> |    5313:        (easy-menu-remove outline-mode-menu-show)
> |    5314:        (easy-menu-remove outline-mode-menu-hide))
Yeah, I have seen that.  The problem is the way easy-menu-remove is defined:

easy-menu-remove is an alias for `ignore' in `easymenu.el'.

And the docstring explains:
<quote>
Remove MENU from the current menu bar.
Contrary to XEmacs, this is a nop on Emacs since menus are automatically
(de)activated when the corresponding keymap is (de)activated.
</quote>

In addition to that, it seems that this is not removing the top-level menu,
but some of the sub-menu entries (... if I understand this correctly...).

And, as Carsten reminded me, what I do *not* want to do is de-activate
org-mode's keymap:-)

So still wondering...

Christian

--

@ 2013-09-14  0:43   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-14  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 02:44:31PM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am developing a mode derived from org for special editing and
> > browsing purposes.  I will add my own menu to the menubar and would
> > like to remove the menus added by org, "Org" and "Tbl", in order not
> > to confuse my users, who will be Emacs newbies in most cases.  I
> > tried several things like
> >
> > (define-key org-mode-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
> > or
> > (define-key global-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
> > and some other combinations of this line of thought, but nothing
> > succeeded in removing the stuff.
> >
> > I wonder if anybody here has any advice?
>
> Interesting question, and I do not know the answer.  Only that you
> certainly should not change the org-mode-map, because such changes
> would have effects in all Org mode buffers.

I have never defined menus, but a quick look tells me you use
define-key.  If that is correct, then can't you just redefine the Org
and Tbl menu to nil?  I believe if you do that with regular key
sequences, any existing bindings get removed.

Just a thought.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-14  0:44   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-09-14  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Sep 13, 2013, at 2:28 PM, Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > (define-key org-mode-map [menu-bar Org] nil)

Oops, Christian already tried that!  I guess it's time for me to go to
bed :-p.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-14  4:42 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-09-14  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I am developing a mode derived from org for special editing and
> browsing purposes.  I will add my own menu to the menubar and would
> like to remove the menus added by org, "Org" and "Tbl", in order not
> to confuse my users, who will be Emacs newbies in most cases.
> I tried several things like
>
> (define-key org-mode-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
> or
> (define-key global-map [menu-bar Org] nil)
> and some other combinations of this line of thought, but nothing
> succeeded in removing the stuff.
>
> I wonder if anybody here has any advice?
>
> All the best and thanks in advance,

The elisp manual says (sec. 22.17.5, "The Menu Bar"):

,----

`----

--
Nick

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-09-14  4:42 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-14  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christian Wittern <cwittern@gmail.com> writes:

> I am developing a mode derived from org for special editing and
> browsing purposes.  I will add my own menu to the menubar and would
> like to remove the menus added by org, "Org" and "Tbl", in order not
> to confuse my users

Try this

    (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
              (lambda nil
                (local-unset-key [menu-bar Org])))

* Re: Remove Org and Tbl from menubar for derived mode
@ 2013-09-16  1:24   ` Christian Wittern
From: Christian Wittern @ 2013-09-16  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2013-09-14 13:42 , Jambunathan K wrote:
>      (add-hook 'org-mode-hook
>                (lambda nil
>                  (local-unset-key [menu-bar Org])))
Thanks, if I do this for my derived mode, it does exactly what I need!

Christian

--
Christian Wittern, Kyoto