* BUG: org-archive-subtree LOSES DATA when run on unsaved buffer
@ 2019-04-09 21:18 Cook, Malcolm
From: Cook, Malcolm @ 2019-04-09 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

I never use org's archiving capabilities.

So imaging my surprise when I accidently invoked org-archive-subtree from its key-binding and I lost a whole subtree of a new buffer which (alas) I had not yet saved to disk

Further alas, I was so alarmed not knowing where my content disappeared to that I did not think to try the obvious - undo.

What happens?  It appears that org-archive-subtree will create a symlink to a non-existent target and try to move the subtree there (which does not make sense) and does not check for errors or confirm completion.

This arguably should be addressed.

This is emacs 26.1 running org-version 9.2.3-4

In the mean time...

Still livin' in emacs + Org,

~Malcolm

* Re: BUG: org-archive-subtree LOSES DATA when run on unsaved buffer
@ 2019-04-10 13:37 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-04-10 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cook, Malcolm; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> writes:

> I never use org's archiving capabilities.
>
> So imaging my surprise when I accidently invoked org-archive-subtree from its key-binding and I lost a whole subtree of a new buffer which (alas) I had not yet saved to disk
>
> Further alas, I was so alarmed not knowing where my content disappeared to that I did not think to try the obvious - undo.
>
> What happens? It appears that org-archive-subtree will create
> a symlink to a non-existent target and try to move the subtree there
> (which does not make sense) and does not check for errors or confirm
> completion.
>
> This arguably should be addressed.

I do not understand your report. Is it about subtree archiving not
asking for confirmation?

I don't understand the symlink part either. There is no "symlink"
occurrence in "org-archive.el".

Nicolas Goaziou