From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
To: Org Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [FR] A more general case than footnotes
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2023 00:46:05 -0500	[thread overview]

Ihor Radchenko writes:
>Maske <maske1foro@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I propose links to arbitrary points in different files.
>>
>> Furthermore, I think it would be a very nice new feature,
>> probably more opinions than mine should be heard.
>
>See:
>-
>https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/118435e8-0b20-46fd-af6a-88de8e19fac6@app.fastmail.com/
>-
>https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAJniy+OVD0NCWZZTPit5T7wvsbLbgLLXZmPub5tgq3gsHsGhYw@mail.gmail.com/
>-
>https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAJcAo8s=cjNY-7-mA1zQk3R9HEWYreTatdVeHfJ39ccM9=kMog@mail.gmail.com/
>
>The idea is not new, but we need someone to implement it one way
>or another.

At my company, I implemented something that (I think) does what
Maske and those earlier threads are getting at:

https://code.librehq.com/ots/ots-tools/-/blob/main/emacs-tools/oref.el

We often use it with Org Mode files, but it's not specific to Org
Mode -- it works with any plaintext format.  In fact, our most
common use case is cross-referencing from precise locations in
LaTeX files to precise locations in Org Mode files.

A couple of days ago I happened to post [1] on the Emacs
Humanities list about a updated version of oref.el.  Maske noticed
that post, and referred me to this thread here.

My original announcement post from a year ago [2] is a good place
to get a quick overview of how oref.el works.

At the time I wrote oref.el, I didn't know about org-id.el.  But
it wouldn't be too hard to make oref.el automagically compatible
with Org ":ID:" properties.  I.e., `oref-do-ref' would jump to
them, copy them, etc, in just the same way it currently does with
native oref references.  And the oref ref files cache would just
become the union of `oref-ref-files-cache' and `org-id-files'.
While I'll hand-wave a bit on the details right now, I think there
is a natural compatibility available.  If people are interested in
this extension of oref.el, let me know.

Best regards,
-Karl

[1]