* [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-02-26  8:55 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2024-02-26  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Adding [BLOG] or [TIP] in the subject prefix allows for such messages
to be referenced on https://tracker.orgmode.org/news (along with [ANN]
messages).

It will then be possible to include these posts in the orgmode.org
homepage, using e.g. https://tracker.orgmode.org/news.rss.

This is experimental, let's see if this helps spread the word about
useful blogs.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-02-26 10:32 ` Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2024-02-26 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:

> Adding [BLOG] or [TIP] in the subject prefix allows for such messages
> to be referenced on https://tracker.orgmode.org/news (along with [ANN]
> messages).
>
> It will then be possible to include these posts in the orgmode.org
> homepage, using e.g. https://tracker.orgmode.org/news.rss.
>
> This is experimental, let's see if this helps spread the word about
> useful blogs.

Great! Just one question: can articles be shared in languages other than
English? In that case, would it be necessary to add some more
prefixes, such as "Spanish", "French", "Italian", "Greek", etc.?

(If I shared something in Spanish, I could translate the article in the
body of the message).

Best regards,

Juan Manuel

--
Juan Manuel Macías -- Composición tipográfica, tratamiento de datos, diseño editorial y ortotipografía

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-02-26 11:03   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-26 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Great! Just one question: can articles be shared in languages other than
> English? In that case, would it be necessary to add some more
> prefixes, such as "Spanish", "French", "Italian", "Greek", etc.?
>
> (If I shared something in Spanish, I could translate the article in the
> body of the message).

In Sacha Chua's news non-English blog posts are just shared as is:
2023年のorg-mode活用と今後の抱負 - takeokunn's blog (@kaneuchi@mstdn.jp)
(from https://sachachua.com/blog/2024/01/2024-01-29-emacs-news/)

As long as the fraction of non-English posts is small, I do not think
that it matters too much. (Of course, having a translation would be
helpful, but we cannot demand such thing.)

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-02-26 12:58   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2024-02-26 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juan Manuel Macías; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Juan,

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Great! Just one question: can articles be shared in languages other than
> English? In that case, would it be necessary to add some more
> prefixes, such as "Spanish", "French", "Italian", "Greek", etc.?

Yes, you can use "[BLOG] [Spanish] ..." so that people adapt their
filters, but the second prefix won't have any effect on Woof.

But because the language for discussing on this list is english, I
believe the summary should be in english - then people can use i18n
tools to get to the contents.

How does this sound?

--
 Bastien Guerry

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-02-26 13:00     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2024-02-26 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Juan Manuel Macías, emacs-orgmode

> As long as the fraction of non-English posts is small, I do not think
> that it matters too much. (Of course, having a translation would be
> helpful, but we cannot demand such thing.)

I suggest we stick to the policy of using english as the language for
the list: sharing posts written in other languages is okay as long as
we share the summary in english in the emails. That's also better for
search the list's archive IMHO.

--
 Bastien Guerry

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-02-27  8:54     ` jman
From: jman @ 2024-02-27  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien Guerry; +Cc: Juan Manuel Macías, emacs-orgmode

> Yes, you can use "[BLOG] [Spanish] ..." so that people adapt their
> filters, but the second prefix won't have any effect on Woof.

If we want to add a hint about the blog post language, can I suggest
using the two-letter ISO-639 language codes (SP, DE, IT, EN, ...)?

I agree they don't cover all the languages but for the sake of
brevity, would that be good enough?

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-03-05 12:52 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-03-05 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Adding [BLOG] or [TIP] in the subject prefix allows for such messages
> to be referenced on https://tracker.orgmode.org/news (along with [ANN]
> messages).
>
> It will then be possible to include these posts in the orgmode.org
> homepage, using e.g. https://tracker.orgmode.org/news.rss.
>
> This is experimental, let's see if this helps spread the word about
> useful blogs.

I am looking at https://tracker.orgmode.org/news and I feel that mixing
blog/tip entries with important announcements may not be very good idea.
May we put the blogs into a separate tab, leaving announcements stand
out?

Also, I do not see
https://list.orgmode.org/877cihmr45.fsf@posteo.net/T/#u listed.
May it be because in "[tip] Export to PDF with latexmk 'continuous
preview' option", "tip" is lowercase?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: [ANN] Please share useful blog posts on this list with the [BLOG] subject prefix
@ 2024-03-05 13:24   ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2024-03-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Adding [BLOG] or [TIP] in the subject prefix allows for such messages
>> to be referenced on https://tracker.orgmode.org/news (along with [ANN]
>> messages).
>>
>> It will then be possible to include these posts in the orgmode.org
>> homepage, using e.g. https://tracker.orgmode.org/news.rss.
>>
>> This is experimental, let's see if this helps spread the word about
>> useful blogs.
>
> I am looking at https://tracker.orgmode.org/news and I feel that mixing
> blog/tip entries with important announcements may not be very good idea.
> May we put the blogs into a separate tab, leaving announcements stand
> out?

Yes, this is a possibility.

> Also, I do not see
> https://list.orgmode.org/877cihmr45.fsf@posteo.net/T/#u listed.
> May it be because in "[tip] Export to PDF with latexmk 'continuous
> preview' option", "tip" is lowercase?

This should not be case-sensitive - I will check when I have some free
time.

--
 Bastien Guerry