* BUG - org-agenda-show-future-repeats not mentioned in org.pdf
@ 2017-09-09  9:05 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-09-09  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Seeing this new variable I've been trying to set it up to stop all the
future displays of each and every task being displayed in my 31 days
agenda.

I've updated my git/org-mode and then built the new 'org.pdf', opened it
and then had a quick browse for 'org-agenda-show-future-repeats'. I then
did a search of the whole file and it isn't mentioned at all!

I was hoping to see something which showed how to use it, as currently I
have each and every repeat showing for each and every day of my 31-day
agenda. I've tried -

(setq org-agenda-show-future-repeats n)

OR

(setq org-agenda-show-future-repeats 0)

OR

(setq org-agenda-show-future-repeats 1)

But I still can't disable *all* my repeats showing for every day.

If we have changes, especially major ones like this, could they not be
mentioned in the org.pdf with perhaps a new chapter titled 'Changes' and
then giving details of how to use the new commands, please?

I do have another bug that's irritating me, but that's for a separate post.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: BUG - org-agenda-show-future-repeats not mentioned in org.pdf
@ 2017-09-09 16:19 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-09 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Seeing this new variable I've been trying to set it up to stop all the
> future displays of each and every task being displayed in my 31 days
> agenda.
>
> I've updated my git/org-mode and then built the new 'org.pdf', opened it
> and then had a quick browse for 'org-agenda-show-future-repeats'. I then
> did a search of the whole file and it isn't mentioned at all!

The manual cannot possibly (and doesn't) contain a reference to every
variable.

> I was hoping to see something which showed how to use it, as currently I
> have each and every repeat showing for each and every day of my 31-day
> agenda.

You can know how to use it by looking at its docstring. I copy it here
for reference:

   Non-nil shows repeated entries in the future part of the agenda.
   When set to the symbol ‘next’ only the first future repeat is shown.

> If we have changes, especially major ones like this, could they not be
> mentioned in the org.pdf with perhaps a new chapter titled 'Changes' and
> then giving details of how to use the new commands, please?

The variable was introduced in <http://orgmode.org/Changes.html>

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BUG - org-agenda-show-future-repeats not mentioned in org.pdf
@ 2017-09-10 10:54   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-09-10 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

> Hello,
>
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Seeing this new variable I've been trying to set it up to stop all the
>> future displays of each and every task being displayed in my 31 days
>> agenda.
>>
>> I've updated my git/org-mode and then built the new 'org.pdf', opened it
>> and then had a quick browse for 'org-agenda-show-future-repeats'. I then
>> did a search of the whole file and it isn't mentioned at all!
>
> The manual cannot possibly (and doesn't) contain a reference to every
> variable.
>
>> I was hoping to see something which showed how to use it, as currently I
>> have each and every repeat showing for each and every day of my 31-day
>> agenda.
>
> You can know how to use it by looking at its docstring. I copy it here
> for reference:
>
>    Non-nil shows repeated entries in the future part of the agenda.
>    When set to the symbol ‘next’ only the first future repeat is
>    shown.

Thanks for replying.

You are assuming that everyone knows what a 'docstring' is, and how to
get it or find out about it. Unfortunately, I don't fit into that
category, so when I saw on "http://orgmode.org/Changes.html" 'See
docstring for details.' I was, and still am, completely flummoxed by it,
which is why I looked for it in an updated 'org.pdf'.

Thanks
Sharon.

@ 2017-09-10 11:45     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2017-09-10 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Org Mode List

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> You are assuming that everyone knows what a 'docstring' is, and how to
> get it or find out about it. Unfortunately, I don't fit into that
> category, so when I saw on "http://orgmode.org/Changes.html" 'See
> docstring for details.' I was, and still am, completely flummoxed by it,
> which is why I looked for it in an updated 'org.pdf'.

Emacs has an extensive help system. For example <F1> <F1> displays
a list of all help you can get. In particular, in this menu, you can see

  v VARIABLE  Display the given variable's documentation and value.

So if you hit `v', you can select `org-agenda-show-future-repeats' and
read its documentation string, or "docstring".

A shortcut for this is

  <F1> v org-agenda-show-future-repeats RET

Another way to look at it is to use the Customization system Emacs
offers. To get there, you can use

 M-x customize-group RET org RET

You can then browse variables by category, or directly search for the
one you're looking for in the search bar at the top of the buffer.

HTH.