* the org-CUA-compatible variable
@ 2006-12-10 21:27 Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2006-12-10 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,
(if possible, could you CC any replies as I am not subscribed?)

In my .emacs file, close to the top, I have the code:
;; shift+arrows to move between windows ---------------------------------------
(when (fboundp 'windmove-default-keybindings)
      (windmove-default-keybindings))

I find this the best way for me to switch windows and have become *very*
used to it. I recently decided to become more organized in the way I do
things and was happy to discover org-mode, however my shift bindings are
clobbered. I read some of the manual and it suggested using the
org-CUA-compatible variable.

So in my .emacs I initiate org mode with:
;; org mode -------------------------------------------------------------------
(require 'org)
(setq org-CUA-compatible t)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
(define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(setq org-agenda-files (list "~/emacs.d/org/study.org"
                             "~/emacs.d/org/code.org"
                             "~/emacs.d/org/work.org"
                             "~/emacs.d/org/family.org"
                             "~/emacs.d/org/blog.org"))
(setq org-log-done t)

However, opening any .org file still leaves me with the org mode
bindings. In org mode, C-h c SHIFT-down for example returns:
<S-down> runs the command org-shiftdown.

The org mode code is at the bottom of my .emacs if that makes a
difference. Is there something obvious I am doing wrong?

Org-mode version 4.56b
GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of
2006-12-09 on pacem, modified by Debian

Thank you.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: the org-CUA-compatible variable
@ 2006-12-12 10:31 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-12-12 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelina Carlton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 10, 2006, at 22:27, Angelina Carlton wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> (if possible, could you CC any replies as I am not subscribed?)
>
> In my .emacs file, close to the top, I have the code:
> ;; shift+arrows to move between windows
> ---------------------------------------
> (when (fboundp 'windmove-default-keybindings)
>       (windmove-default-keybindings))
>
> I find this the best way for me to switch windows and have become
> *very*
> used to it. I recently decided to become more organized in the way I do
> things and was happy to discover org-mode, however my shift bindings
> are
> clobbered. I read some of the manual and it suggested using the
> org-CUA-compatible variable.
>
> So in my .emacs I initiate org mode with:
> ;; org mode
> (require 'org)
> (setq org-CUA-compatible t)

This variable needs to be set *before* org.el gets loaded.  So please
swap these lines, or, oven better, omit the (require 'org).  It is not
needed since all necessary functions are autoloaded, so that org.el
will be loaded automatically when needed.

In fact, it is a very bad habit of many package writers to make people
install their package with a require that will load the entire large
source file.  Where did find the instruction to use (require 'org)
Because if it is in the docs, I need to fix it.

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: the org-CUA-compatible variable
@ 2006-12-13 15:44   ` Angelina Carlton
From: Angelina Carlton @ 2006-12-13 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> This variable needs to be set *before* org.el gets loaded.  So please
> swap these lines, or, oven better, omit the (require 'org).  It is not needed
> since all necessary functions are autoloaded, so that org.el will be loaded
> automatically when needed.

Ok, I will try this.

> In fact, it is a very bad habit of many package writers to make people
> install their package with a require that will load the entire large source
> file.  Where did find the instruction to use (require 'org)  Because if it is
> in the docs, I need to fix it.

I got the (require 'org) from a tutorial online
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/OrgTutorial.html

I got the (setq org-CUA-compatible t) from the emacs wiki.
Thank you for clearing this up for me.

--
-----Angelina Carlton-----
orchid on irc.freenode.net

* Re: the org-CUA-compatible variable
@ 2006-12-14 16:32     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-12-14 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angelina Carlton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 13, 2006, at 16:44, Angelina Carlton wrote:

> I got the (require 'org) from a tutorial online
> http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/OrgTutorial.html

Yes, I see this, I will try to get this fixed.  Thanks.

> I got the (setq org-CUA-compatible t) from the emacs wiki.
> Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Well, in fact the docstring of the variable should mention this,
this will be fixed in the next version.  Thanks.

- Carsten