* orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 17:38 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-04-22 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

when making a table in orgmode, I forgot to add three columns to the
table.  What command or commands would I use to add columns to a table?

--
 Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
 soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 18:08 ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2024-04-22 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

(info "(org)Built-in Table Editor")

‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
     Insert a new column at point position.  Move the recent column and
     all cells to the right of this column to the right.

Leo

On Mon, Apr 22 2024, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:

> when making a table in orgmode, I forgot to add three columns to the
> table.  What command or commands would I use to add columns to a table?
>

> --
>  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
>  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
>  Please use in that order."
>  Ed Howdershelt 1940.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 19:05   ` Jude DaShiell
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-04-22 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

m-s-right is meta-shift-rightarrow if I have that correct.  Now if I put
point in the last column of the table and do that, I'll get a column to
the left which will be blank.  What I tried to ask is if I put point in
the last column of the table what can I do to have a new column appear to
the right of where point exists?

--

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Leo Butler wrote:

> (info "(org)Built-in Table Editor")
>
> ‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
>      Insert a new column at point position.  Move the recent column and
>      all cells to the right of this column to the right.
>
> Leo
>
> On Mon, Apr 22 2024, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > when making a table in orgmode, I forgot to add three columns to the
> > table.  What command or commands would I use to add columns to a table?
> >

> > --
> >  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
> >  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> >  Please use in that order."
> >  Ed Howdershelt 1940.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 19:17     ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-04-22 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Butler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

As it happens c-s-right comes back with c-s-right is undefined.
This is emacs-nativecomp 29 on slint and slint is the international
version of slackware.
At this point I think orgmode could use is a tool to be run that will find
and let the user or installer know all of the undefined key combinations
in their current version of orgmode that are supposed to be defined along
with a percentage of the total keystrokes so a user or installer can take
further appropriate action.

--

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> m-s-right is meta-shift-rightarrow if I have that correct.  Now if I put
> point in the last column of the table and do that, I'll get a column to
> the left which will be blank.  What I tried to ask is if I put point in
> the last column of the table what can I do to have a new column appear to
> the right of where point exists?
>

> --
>  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
>  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
>  Please use in that order."
>  Ed Howdershelt 1940.
>
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Leo Butler wrote:
>
> > (info "(org)Built-in Table Editor")
> >
> > ‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
> >      Insert a new column at point position.  Move the recent column and
> >      all cells to the right of this column to the right.
> >
> > Leo
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 22 2024, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > > when making a table in orgmode, I forgot to add three columns to the
> > > table.  What command or commands would I use to add columns to a table?
> > >

> > > --
> > >  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
> > >  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> > >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> > >  Please use in that order."
> > >  Ed Howdershelt 1940.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 19:56       ` Mark Barton
From: Mark Barton @ 2024-04-22 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Leo Butler, Org Mode List

I always forget the command to add columns, so I usually just modify the header row to add them to the end by using the "|" character to separate them. Once I press tab, then Org will correct the table.

started with two columns
| one | two |
|-----+-----|
|   1 |   2 |

add two more to the header line
| one | two | three | four|
|-----+-----|
|   1 |   2 |

press tab to have org correct the table.
| one | two | three | four |
|-----+-----+-------+------|
|   1 |   2 |       |      |

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 20:01     ` Dave Marquardt
From: Dave Marquardt @ 2024-04-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> m-s-right is meta-shift-rightarrow if I have that correct.  Now if I put
> point in the last column of the table and do that, I'll get a column to
> the left which will be blank.  What I tried to ask is if I put point in
> the last column of the table what can I do to have a new column appear to
> the right of where point exists?

Try putting the point at the end of the line, *after* the last
column. Works for me.

> --
>  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
>  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
>  Please use in that order."
>  Ed Howdershelt 1940.
>
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Leo Butler wrote:
>
>> (info "(org)Built-in Table Editor")
>>
>> ‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
>>      Insert a new column at point position.  Move the recent column and
>>      all cells to the right of this column to the right.
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 22 2024, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> > when making a table in orgmode, I forgot to add three columns to the
>> > table.  What command or commands would I use to add columns to a table?
>> >

>> > --
>> >  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
>> >  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
>> >  Please use in that order."
>> >  Ed Howdershelt 1940.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 20:02       ` Dave Marquardt
From: Dave Marquardt @ 2024-04-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> As it happens c-s-right comes back with c-s-right is undefined.
> This is emacs-nativecomp 29 on slint and slint is the international
> version of slackware.
> At this point I think orgmode could use is a tool to be run that will find
> and let the user or installer know all of the undefined key combinations
> in their current version of orgmode that are supposed to be defined along
> with a percentage of the total keystrokes so a user or installer can take
> further appropriate action.

So is there some reason you're pressing C-S-Right? This key wasn't
discussed in this thread before now.

> --
>  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
>  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
>  Please use in that order."
>  Ed Howdershelt 1940.
>
> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Jude DaShiell wrote:
>
>> m-s-right is meta-shift-rightarrow if I have that correct.  Now if I put
>> point in the last column of the table and do that, I'll get a column to
>> the left which will be blank.  What I tried to ask is if I put point in
>> the last column of the table what can I do to have a new column appear to
>> the right of where point exists?
>>

>> --
>>  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
>>  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
>>  Please use in that order."
>>  Ed Howdershelt 1940.
>>
>> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Leo Butler wrote:
>>
>> > (info "(org)Built-in Table Editor")
>> >
>> > ‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
>> >      Insert a new column at point position.  Move the recent column and
>> >      all cells to the right of this column to the right.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 20:22       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-04-22 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Marquardt, emacs-orgmode

Doesn't work here.  Just makes the terminal beep.  That's on the line with
the column headings and on a first line with table values.  The table
starts at 80 characters width and after this is done ends with 80
characters width.  I've tried this with the gray arrow keys and also with
the arrow keys on the number pad and got identical results.

--

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Dave Marquardt wrote:

> Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:
>
> > m-s-right is meta-shift-rightarrow if I have that correct.  Now if I put
> > point in the last column of the table and do that, I'll get a column to
> > the left which will be blank.  What I tried to ask is if I put point in
> > the last column of the table what can I do to have a new column appear to
> > the right of where point exists?
>
> Try putting the point at the end of the line, *after* the last
> column. Works for me.
>

> > --
> >  Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
> >  "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> >  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> >  Please use in that order."
> >  Ed Howdershelt 1940.
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Leo Butler wrote:
> >
> >> (info "(org)Built-in Table Editor")
> >>
> >> ‘M-S-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-insert-column’)
> >>      Insert a new column at point position.  Move the recent column and
> >>      all cells to the right of this column to the right.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 20:26         ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2024-04-22 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Barton; +Cc: Leo Butler, Org Mode List

Thanks Mark, that solution just caught me a mouse!

--

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Mark Barton wrote:

> I always forget the command to add columns, so I usually just modify the header row to add them to the end by using the "|" character to separate them. Once I press tab, then Org will correct the table.
>
> started with two columns
> | one | two |
> |-----+-----|
> |   1 |   2 |
>
> add two more to the header line
> | one | two | three | four|
> |-----+-----|
> |   1 |   2 |
>
> press tab to have org correct the table.
> | one | two | three | four |
> |-----+-----+-------+------|
> |   1 |   2 |       |      |
>

> > On Apr 22, 2024, at 12:17 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > As it happens c-s-right comes back with c-s-right is undefined.
> > This is emacs-nativecomp 29 on slint and slint is the international
> > version of slackware.
> > At this point I think orgmode could use is a tool to be run that will find
> > and let the user or installer know all of the undefined key combinations
> > in their current version of orgmode that are supposed to be defined along
> > with a percentage of the total keystrokes so a user or installer can take
> > further appropriate action.
> >

> > --
> > Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
> > soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> > Please use in that order."
> > Ed Howdershelt 1940.
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Apr 2024, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> >
> >> m-s-right is meta-shift-rightarrow if I have that correct.  Now if I put
> >> point in the last column of the table and do that, I'll get a column to
> >> the left which will be blank.  What I tried to ask is if I put point in
> >> the last column of the table what can I do to have a new column appear to
> >> the right of where point exists?
> >>

> >> --
> >> Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com>
> >> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
> >> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo.
> >> Please use in that order."
> >> Ed Howdershelt 1940.

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 20:27         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-04-22 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: Dave Marquardt, emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> Doesn't work here.  Just makes the terminal beep.

Using terminal Emacs?
Be aware that terminals cannot emulate certain key bindings, including
modifier + arrow keys. See https://orgmode.org/manual/TTY-Keys.html

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: orgmode tables
@ 2024-04-22 21:16     ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2024-04-22 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Beyond what Mark and Ihor have written, you can insert the column in the
table as you did, and then use M-<RIGHT> or M-<LEFT> to move it. That
works for me with:

(insert (emacs-version))
GNU Emacs 29.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0)
 of 2024-02-26, modified by Debian

(insert (org-version))
9.6.23

and either terminal emacs (in an xterm) or gui emacs.

Leo

‘M-<LEFT>’ (‘org-table-move-column-left’)
     Move the current column left.

‘M-<RIGHT>’ (‘org-table-move-column-right’)
     Move the current column right.

‘M-S-<LEFT>’ (‘org-table-delete-column’)
     Kill the current column.