* Bug fix release 4.59
@ 2006-12-08  8:59 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-12-08  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode 4.59 is available at

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/

This release fixes the issues reported by Bastien and Eddward during
the last few days.

Please note the the variable regulating indirect buffer display
has been renamed and is now called `org-indirect-buffer-display'.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Bug fix release 4.59
@ 2006-12-08 15:26 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-12-08 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Org-mode 4.59 is available at
>
> http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/
>
> This release fixes the issues reported by Bastien and Eddward during
> the last few days.
>
> Please note the the variable regulating indirect buffer display
> has been renamed and is now called `org-indirect-buffer-display'.

I have a question related to the newest updates that come out.

I have been downloading the update, then extracting it, and setting it in my
.emacs.d directory under a symbolic link called org.

Then I stop and restart emacs.

Is there anyway to reload the new org code without stopping emacs?  I usually
have many other things going on, and don't really like to stop and restart
unless I have to.

Any ideas?

Dave

* Re: Re: Bug fix release 4.59
@ 2006-12-08 15:37   ` Carsten Dominik
       [not found]     ` <b71b18520612080800t3eb63c0bw9cbf5df50e0126cd@mail.gmail.com>
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-12-08 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

M-x load-library RET org RET

This will re-read org.elc.  Then do

M-x org-mode RET

in each org-mode buffer, and you should be transparently switched
to the new version.

This should almost always do the right thing.  There are a few
exceptions,
but not enough to burden you with.

How often do you restart Emacs?  Once a week?

- Carsten

@ 2006-12-08 16:21       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-12-08 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eddward DeVilla; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Dec 8, 2006, at 17:00, Eddward DeVilla wrote:

>    For me, on my work desktop I pretty much only restart emacs to get
> the newest versions of org-mode after testing them out on my laptop.
> :-)
>
>    Think it would work if I wrote a function to reload org and then
> iterate through the buffers, restarting org-ode in the org-mode
> buffers or would the function still hold on to the version of org that
> was active when it was called?  Would there be an easy/automated way
> to restart the agenda buffer without messing up the buffer-window
> mapping?

For sure this would work, if you take some care like actually selecting
the *window* displaying the agenda before refreshing it.
Something like (untested):

(defun org-upgrade ()
   "Reload org.el and renew the mode in all applicable buffers."
   (interactive)
   (load-library "org")
   (let ((buffers (buffer-list))
         (cwin (selected-window))
         (org-inhibit-startup t) ; avoid re-folding of the buffers
         buf win)
     (while (setq buf (pop buffers))
       (when (buffer-live-p buf)
         (with-current-buffer buf
           (and (eq major-mode 'org-mode) (org-mode)))))
     (when (setq win (get-buffer-window org-agenda-buffer-name))
       (select-window win)
       (org-agenda-redo))
     (select-window cwin)
     (message "All buffers upgraded to org-mode version %s"
              org-version)))

- Carsten

* Re: Bug fix release 4.59
       [not found]     ` <b71b18520612080800t3eb63c0bw9cbf5df50e0126cd@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2006-12-08 16:35     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-12-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> M-x load-library RET org RET
>
> This will re-read org.elc.  Then do
>
> M-x org-mode RET
>
> in each org-mode buffer, and you should be transparently switched
> to the new version.
>
> This should almost always do the right thing.  There are a few
> exceptions,
> but not enough to burden you with.
>
> How often do you restart Emacs?  Once a week?

Oh no.  Daily.  I am connecting to my home box running linux from my work box
running windows XP.  I don't trust the connection on the windows box enough to
leave it running while I'm not gone.  I also wouldn't want anyone to walk up
to my machine while I was gone and have access to my home box.

I start emacs when I get to work in the morning.
I shut it down before I go home at night.
So, it runs for ~9 hours every day.

Thanks for the method to reload org.

Dave

* Re: Bug fix release 4.59
@ 2006-12-08 16:38 ` Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2006-12-08 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is the first time I've tried it, but C-c C-k - edit outline in
dedicated frame, does not work under XEmacs.

Tim.

* Re: Re: Bug fix release 4.59
@ 2006-12-08 17:58       ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2006-12-08 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> M-x load-library RET org RET
>>
>> This will re-read org.elc.  Then do
>>
>> M-x org-mode RET
>>
>> in each org-mode buffer, and you should be transparently switched
>> to the new version.
>>
>> This should almost always do the right thing.  There are a few
>> exceptions,
>> but not enough to burden you with.
>>
>> How often do you restart Emacs?  Once a week?
>>

> Oh no.  Daily.  I am connecting to my home box running linux from my work box
> running windows XP.  I don't trust the connection on the windows box enough to
> leave it running while I'm not gone.  I also wouldn't want anyone to walk up
> to my machine while I was gone and have access to my home box.
>
> I start emacs when I get to work in the morning.
> I shut it down before I go home at night.
> So, it runs for ~9 hours every day.

You might be interested in this post
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/35474

> Thanks for the method to reload org.
>
> Dave

       ,,,
      (o o)
---ooO-(_)-Ooo---

* Re: Bug fix release 4.59
@ 2006-12-08 20:44         ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2006-12-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xiao-Yong Jin <xj2106@columbia.edu> writes:

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>
>>> M-x load-library RET org RET
>>>
>>> This will re-read org.elc.  Then do
>>>
>>> M-x org-mode RET
>>>
>>> in each org-mode buffer, and you should be transparently switched
>>> to the new version.
>>>
>>> This should almost always do the right thing.  There are a few
>>> exceptions,
>>> but not enough to burden you with.
>>>
>>> How often do you restart Emacs?  Once a week?
>>>

>> Oh no.  Daily.  I am connecting to my home box running linux from my work box
>> running windows XP.  I don't trust the connection on the windows box enough to
>> leave it running while I'm not gone.  I also wouldn't want anyone to walk up
>> to my machine while I was gone and have access to my home box.
>>
>> I start emacs when I get to work in the morning.
>> I shut it down before I go home at night.
>> So, it runs for ~9 hours every day.
>
> You might be interested in this post
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/35474

Thanks, I will check that out.