* [babel] Output table
@ 2013-12-02 16:16 Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-02 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I'm trying to generate R graphs from lines found in the *Messages* buffer with
the following code of mine:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
  (setq txt nil)
  (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (re-search-forward
            "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
            nil t)
      (setq txt (concat txt (format "%s" (match-string 1)) "\n"))
      (princ txt)))
#+end_src

However, the results is always an example block, NEVER in an Org _table_ -- and
I don't understand why. Does anybody?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: [babel] Output table
@ 2013-12-02 18:28 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-12-02 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news@mygooglest.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to generate R graphs from lines found in the *Messages* buffer with
> the following code of mine:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
>   (setq txt nil)
>   (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (while (re-search-forward
>             "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
>             nil t)
>       (setq txt (concat txt (format "%s" (match-string 1)) "\n"))
>       (princ txt)))
> #+end_src
>
> However, the results is always an example block, NEVER in an Org _table_ -- and
> I don't understand why. Does anybody?
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

I bet because ":results output" in Emacs Lisp is only interpreted as a
string.  You're better off just returning a list with something like the
following.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
  (let (txts)
    (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (re-search-forward
              "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
              nil t)
        (push (match-string 1) txts)))
    txts)
#+end_src

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: [babel] Output table
@ 2013-12-02 21:04   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2013-12-02 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <sva-news-D0wtAvR13HarG/iDocfnWg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> I'm trying to generate R graphs from lines found in the *Messages* buffer with
>> the following code of mine:
>>
>> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
>>   (setq txt nil)
>>   (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
>>     (goto-char (point-min))
>>     (while (re-search-forward
>>             "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
>>             nil t)
>>       (setq txt (concat txt (format "%s" (match-string 1)) "\n"))
>>       (princ txt)))
>> #+end_src
>>
>> However, the results is always an example block, NEVER in an Org _table_ -- and
>> I don't understand why. Does anybody?
>
> I bet because ":results output" in Emacs Lisp is only interpreted as a
> string.  You're better off just returning a list with something like the
> following.
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :results output table
>   (let (txts)
>     (with-current-buffer "*Messages*"
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (while (re-search-forward
>               "^Retrieving newsgroup: \\(.+\\)"
>               nil t)
>         (push (match-string 1) txts)))
>     txts)
> #+end_src

I guess you meant ":results value", then?  Because "output" does not return
anything with your code.

As you can imagine, though the list could be processed by R, the fact it's not
a table makes it unreadable as is in the Org buffer and in a generated PDF (at
least, without extra conversion blocks).

See http://screencast.com/t/QVd0VDLYE1.

Would there be a way to get a proper table more directly?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban