* Fixed width text data convert to org-mode table
@ 2008-03-26  4:50 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-03-26  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have some data I've typed into a free form text file with columns aligned
by not with tabs. Here is a little piece:

  501A         1986-04-12   tog
B?

  311 (II) D   1986-04-12   tog
  514          1986-04-15   tog
AA

  514          1986-04-15   tog
AA
  530          1986-04-15   tog    BE
Bouins
               1986-04-19          dAA         Formalin          M
dichotoma
               1986-04-19   tog
AH
               1986-05-05   tog
AA?

  560          1986-05-09
?unclear?                           Cut
              ?1986-05-26   tog    A?                            must melt
               1986-05-28   tog
AR                                                               Cut
  315B         1986-05-29   tog    DD
Susa/Picric
  Unnumbered   1986-05-29   tog    dAA         Bouins            Millepora
dichotoma
 ?670?         1986-06-01          DBX=?AA                       Millepora

I would like to import this data into an org-mode table, to facilitate
manipulation of the columsn.  I can do it without org-mode, but I anticipate
this will be useful to both organize and print this data in useful ways.

I see there is a way to mark a column's maximum size.  Can I specify its
EXACT size?

Thank you,

Alan Davis

--
Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@gmail.com

"It's never a matter of liking or disliking ..."
---Santa Ynez Chumash Medicine Man

"We have no art. We do everything as well as we can." ---Balinese saying

* Re: Fixed width text data convert to org-mode table
@ 2008-03-26  6:56 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-03-26  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have some data I've typed into a free form text file with columns
> aligned by not with tabs. Here is a little piece:

I'll respond to my own post.  I solved this problem.  Two ways:

--

@ 2008-03-26  6:58   ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-03-26  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode