* (org-overlay-put <extent> 'display <string>) does not do much in XEmacs
@ 2006-10-31 13:00 Christian Nybø
From: Christian Nybø @ 2006-10-31 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I run org-clock-display, but the aggregated times aren't shown.

I believe that in XEmacs, the function org-overlay-put does not do
what the author expects it to when called with the prop argument set
to 'display.  To Emacs, a prop set to 'display has a particular
meaning, but to the XEmacs function set-extent-property it is just
another symbol.

What is a call to org-overlay-put with prop set to 'display and value
set to a string supposed to do?

I'm running XEmacs 21.5  (beta27) "fiddleheads" [Lucid] (i686-pc-linux, Mule) and
Org-mode version 4.52

thanks,

Christian

* Re: (org-overlay-put <extent> 'display <string>) does not do much in XEmacs
@ 2006-10-31 18:10 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-10-31 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Nybø; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, this part is not yet XEmacs compatible, thank you for the analysis.

On Oct 31, 2006, at 14:00, Christian Nybø wrote:

> I run org-clock-display, but the aggregated times aren't shown.
>
> I believe that in XEmacs, the function org-overlay-put does not do
> what the author expects it to when called with the prop argument set
> to 'display.  To Emacs, a prop set to 'display has a particular
> meaning, but to the XEmacs function set-extent-property it is just
> another symbol.
>
> What is a call to org-overlay-put with prop set to 'display and value
> set to a string supposed to do?

The text in the buffer under the overlay is hidden and the text is
displayed
instead.  The following is roughly equivalent:

   GNU Emacs:

     (overlay-put ov 'display "some text")

   XEmacs:

     (set-extent-property ov 'invisible t)
     (set-extent-property ov 'end-glyph (make-glyph "some text"))

Will be fixed in 4.53.

- Carsten

> I'm running XEmacs 21.5  (beta27) "fiddleheads" [Lucid]
> (i686-pc-linux, Mule) and
> Org-mode version 4.52
>

> thanks,
>
> Christian

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: (org-overlay-put <extent> 'display <string>) does not do much in XEmacs
@ 2006-10-31 20:42   ` Christian Nybø
From: Christian Nybø @ 2006-10-31 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the help.  With something along the lines of:

(defun org-overlay-put (ovl prop value)
   (if (featurep 'xemacs)
       (if (and (stringp value) (eq prop 'display))
	  (set-extent-properties
	   ovl (list 'invisible t
		     'end-glyph (make-glyph value)))
	(set-extent-property ovl prop value))
     (overlay-put ovl prop value)))

it works as expected.  Why is the last character of the header text
part of the string value?  Unless it's painted to look like it's
still part of the header proper, it looks somewhat odd.
It is perhaps required for overlay-put?