* Feature request: Add "SHORT_TITLE" metadata field for LaTeX exporter.
@ 2019-03-26 16:15 Georgios Kaklamanos
From: Georgios Kaklamanos @ 2019-03-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

In a number of LaTeX commands (as in \title), there is the following format:

\title[<short version for footer>]{<long version for titlepage>}

This format is also supported in Org at some keywords, (e.g CAPTION).

From the docs [1]:

"""
Optionally, the caption can take the form:

  #+CAPTION[Caption for list of tables]: Caption for table.
"""

and this is exported to the following in LaTeX:

  \caption[Caption for list of tables]{Caption for table.}

I assume that adding this functionality to the general #+TITLE field,
might be problematic, since it will involve a number of non-LaTeX
exporters.

So, would it be possible to add a new metadata field #+SHORT_TITLE, to
replace this functionality?

For example, the following org code:

"""
#TITLE: This is a very long title that I don't want to see in my Table
of contents
#SHORT_TITLE: This is better
"""

would render into:

"""
\title[This is better]{This is a very long title that I don't want to
see in my Table of contents}
"""

Thoughts / ideas? Did I miss something that already does this?

Cheers,
Georgios

P.S. My motivation for this, is that I use Org-Mode to create Beamer
slides, and this always messes up the way the title is shown in the footer.

[1]: https://orgmode.org/manual/Images-and-tables.html