* Extraneous blank lines in when attempting to export org tables
@ 2024-02-18  3:36 Rohit Patnaik
From: Rohit Patnaik @ 2024-02-18  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'm currently working on an exporter that will allow org-mode to export to
PMWiki markdown (https://github.com/quanticle/ox-pmwiki/), and I'm running into
a problem when writing the export code to handle tables. When exporting table
rows, I'm getting extraneous blank lines between table rows.

My export code for tables is as follows:

#+begin_src elisp
(defun org-pmwiki-table-cell (table-cell contents info)
  "Transcode a TABLE-CELL from org to pmwiki format. CONTENTS is nil. INFO is a
plist used as a communications channel."
  (let ((cell-alignment (org-export-table-cell-alignment table-cell info)))
    (cond ((eq cell-alignment 'left) (format "%s  ||" contents))
          ((eq cell-alignment 'right) (format "  %s||" contents))
          ((eq cell-alignment 'center) (format " %s ||" contents)))))

(defun org-pmwiki-table-row (table-row contents info)
  "Transcode a TABLE-ROW element from org to pmwiki format. CONTENTS is the
contents of the row. INFO is a plist used as a communications channel."
  (format "||%s" contents))

(defun org-pmwiki-table (table contents info)
  "Transcode a TABLE from org to pmwiki format. TABLE is the table element
itself. CONTENTS is the contents of the table. INFO is a plist holding
contextual information."
  contents)
#+end_src

When I run this code on the following table:
#+begin_src org
| Col 1             |     Col 2     |              Col 3 |
| left aligned cell | centered cell | right aligned cell |
#+end_src

I expect to see the following output:

#+begin_example
||Col 1  || Col 2 ||  Col 3||
||left aligned cell  || centered cell ||  right aligned cell||
#+end_example

However, the actual output generated by the code is:

#+begin_example
||Col 1  || Col 2 ||  Col 3||

||left aligned cell  || centered cell ||  right aligned cell||
#+end_example

The contents of each cell are formatted correctly, but there's an additional
newline between the two rows. How do I prevent this newline from being added?

Thanks,
Rohit Patnaik

* Re: Extraneous blank lines in when attempting to export org tables
@ 2024-02-18 16:33 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-02-18 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohit Patnaik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Rohit Patnaik" <quanticle@quanticle.net> writes:

> I'm currently working on an exporter that will allow org-mode to export to
> PMWiki markdown (https://github.com/quanticle/ox-pmwiki/), and I'm running into
> a problem when writing the export code to handle tables. When exporting table
> rows, I'm getting extraneous blank lines between table rows.
> The contents of each cell are formatted correctly, but there's an additional
> newline between the two rows. How do I prevent this newline from being added?

This is because ox-md adds a blank line between almost every element,
including table-rows (which ox-md does not care about).

Fixed, on bugfix.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=85aafac41

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: Extraneous blank lines in when attempting to export org tables
@ 2024-02-19  3:37   ` Rohit Patnaik
From: Rohit Patnaik @ 2024-02-19  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> This is because ox-md adds a blank line between almost every element,
> including table-rows (which ox-md does not care about).

> Fixed, on bugfix.
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=85aafac41

Thanks for fixing this. I completely forgot that my export code is a derived
backend from ox-md. Maybe, I should make it a standalone backend (or derive
directly from ox-html, like ox-md does), to avoid further mysterious issues.

Rohit