* FR: Columnview Tables & Formulas
@ 2008-09-06 21:57 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-09-06 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

I've taken to using the column view tables to aggregate table from an
outline.

I'd like to be able to use standard spreadsheet features in the same
table, specifically column formulas.

Right now it works, I can add an extra column and enter a column
formula. However when the table is refreshed in column mode, I lose
the spreadsheet data.

I see two fixes, either the TBLFM line is preserved, or could the
column formula be specified in the COLUMNS line?

Imagine a small table with two properties, VALUE and QUANTITY, where
TOTAL VALUE should be calculated via simple multiplication.

Thanks.

* Re: FR: Columnview Tables & Formulas
@ 2008-09-07  6:43 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-07  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hi Russel,

hmmm, an alternative would be to introduce a new property and do the
computation in the properties.  I can see that it would be relatively
simple to define a TBLFM line that should be added to the table
capturing the the column view, but if you need to add extra columns to
the table, this makes things a lot harder.

- Carsten

@ 2008-09-07  6:59   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-09-07  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 08:43:52AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Hi Russel,
>

> hmmm, an alternative would be to introduce a new property and do the
> computation in the properties.  I can see that it would be relatively
> simple to define a TBLFM line that should be added to the table
> capturing the the column view, but if you need to add extra columns to
> the table, this makes things a lot harder.
>
> - Carsten

Do we have to ability to calculate a property from another property?
If I could set that at the parent, where the calculation is inherited
by the children, that would be perfect!

@ 2008-09-07  7:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-07  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

No, not yet - but with the recently implemented mapping functions, it
would not be so hard.  Nice extension!  Anyone interested in trying to
write it?

- Carsten

@ 2008-09-07 23:34       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2008-09-07 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Russell Adams, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> No, not yet - but with the recently implemented mapping functions, it
> would not be so hard.  Nice extension!  Anyone interested in trying to
> write it?
>
> - Carsten

I second that it would be very nice to be able to specify calc/elisp
functions to be applied to property values before dumping the results to
tables.  I run IR experiments, and dump the results to org-mode
formatted text files with individual runs as subtrees and specific
values stored as properties of those trees, I then use column tables to
collect these values into tables which I plot with org-plot.  It would
be nice to be able to preserve #+PLOT lines for these tables as well as
apply formulas to the tables. -- Eric

* Re: FR: Columnview Tables & Formulas
@ 2008-09-08  7:44         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-08  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Russell Adams, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 8, 2008, at 1:34 AM, Eric Schulte wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> No, not yet - but with the recently implemented mapping functions, it
>> would not be so hard.  Nice extension!  Anyone interested in trying
>> write it?
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> I second that it would be very nice to be able to specify calc/elisp
> functions to be applied to property values before dumping the
> results to
> tables.  I run IR experiments, and dump the results to org-mode
> formatted text files with individual runs as subtrees and specific
> values stored as properties of those trees, I then use column tables
> collect these values into tables which I plot with org-plot.  It would
> be nice to be able to preserve #+PLOT lines for these tables as well
> as
> apply formulas to the tables. -- Eric

I can certainly preserve the #+PLOT and #+TBLFM lines when updating a
column view capture.  That is easy.  Lets start with that and see if
that turns out to be enough.  I am pushing a change which does this,
and which will even automatically reapply the formulas when the
capture dblock is updated.

- Carsten